New build will not POST

Soppro
Go to solution Solved by Soppro,

Update 28/12/2020: Turns out the way the hard drive was mounted to the hard drive cage was the issue and not the PSU. The screws at the bottom of the H510 hard drive cage was touching the PCB of the hard drive and causing a short, triggering the PSU's short circuit protection. Mistake on my part, but the H510 HDD installation instructions aren't very detailed (they literally just show you a single picture of the blown up HDD cage showing where the screws go). Dead hard drive later (though I managed to get a replacement), my PC is up and running! Wow what a journey trying to diagnose the issue!! xD

Yeap, so I've tried testing the PSU with the paperclip method (connecting pin 15 and 16), ensured that I've turned hybrid mode OFF to see if the PSU fan spins and connected the hard drive to see if it will spin up but to no avail. PSU fan does not spin nor do I hear the hard drive spinning or feel it vibrating. 

Hi guys,

Just built a PC with the following parts: 

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor Purchased For $319.00
CPU Cooler be quiet! Dark Rock Slim CPU Cooler Purchased For $89.00
Motherboard MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard Purchased For $249.00
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory Purchased For $239.00
Storage Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive Purchased For $141.00
Storage Toshiba P300 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $135.00
Video Card EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB XC3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card Purchased For $949.00
Case NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $139.00
Power Supply Cooler Master V Gold V2 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $135.20
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $2395.20
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-23 17:41 AEDT+1100  

After pressing the power button (making sure power supply and the outlet is switched on), there is only a flash from all 4 EZ Debug LEDs and some of the chipset heatsink LEDs. I've already tried reseating the power connectors (both 24 pin motherboard and 8 pin CPU connector), front panel connectors, turning it on via the power switch pins instead of the button and reseated the RAM. This issue replicates whenever I turn off and on the power supply and press the power button again. 

Video of the issue:

I have unplugged the GPU power cables just to try and isolate the problem. I'm starting to think there is something going on with the power supply, not the motherboard since it lights up momentarily each time. 

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

MacBook Pro 13" (2018) | ThinkPad x230 | iPad Air 2     

~(˘▾˘~)   (~˘▾˘)~

27 minutes ago, Soppro said:

Hi guys,

Just built a PC with the following parts: 

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor Purchased For $319.00
CPU Cooler be quiet! Dark Rock Slim CPU Cooler Purchased For $89.00
Motherboard MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard Purchased For $249.00
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory Purchased For $239.00
Storage Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive Purchased For $141.00
Storage Toshiba P300 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $135.00
Video Card EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB XC3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card Purchased For $949.00
Case NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $139.00
Power Supply Cooler Master V Gold V2 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $135.20
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $2395.20
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-23 17:41 AEDT+1100  

After pressing the power button (making sure power supply and the outlet is switched on), there is only a flash from all 4 EZ Debug LEDs and some of the chipset heatsink LEDs. I've already tried reseating the power connectors (both 24 pin motherboard and 8 pin CPU connector), front panel connectors, turning it on via the power switch pins instead of the button and reseated the RAM. This issue replicates whenever I turn off and on the power supply and press the power button again. 

Video of the issue:

I have unplugged the GPU power cables just to try and isolate the problem. I'm starting to think there is something going on with the power supply, not the motherboard since it lights up momentarily each time. 

Do you have an other psu to test this? If RAM fails, it should still be powered on and spin the fans but display no image. My best bet would be the psu as a first to swap, then the motherboard.

The reason you think its probably not the motherboard is the exact reason I think it is the motherboard. I would try to remount the CPU, a bad mount on a PGA chip is very unlikely but theoretically possible, especially if there are some bent pins. A PSU issue is still very likely, and if you have one available, try using a spare to PSU to just get the system to post. Also, A lot of systems will not post if the GPU does not have all cables plugged into it. 

6 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I would try to remount the CPU, a bad mount on a PGA chip is very unlikely but theoretically possible, especially if there are some bent pins.

I might do that, but I don't think that's the issue here since no fans are spinning at all, it seems there's no power going through anything right now. Now that I think about it, once I press the power button the hard drive in my system doesn't even have any audible sound of spinning up.

7 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

A PSU issue is still very likely, and if you have one available, try using a spare to PSU to just get the system to post.

11 minutes ago, Naijin said:

Do you have an other psu to test this? If RAM fails, it should still be powered on and spin the fans but display no image. My best bet would be the psu as a first to swap.

I'd also really like to swap it out but this is the only PSU I have so I don't know how to go about this

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

~(˘▾˘~)   (~˘▾˘)~

See if you can borrow a power supply from a friend or steal one out of another computer for an hour. There isn't much else you can try to do without first testing the PSU. 

The power cables for the GPU are not plugged in!!! (Two 6 pin) labeled PCIe I believe. It happens to the best of us. 

make sure the other end is plugged in correctly to the PSU

also your RAM is not supported by your motherboard

Edited by Breeksta

2 minutes ago, Breeksta said:

The power cables for the GPU are not plugged in!!! (Two 6 pin) labeled PCIe I believe. It happens to the best of us. 

Said it was just for testing, but it would still be able to run without or does it think the GPU would do the load and that happens?

Like when it's plugged in than not having it in the PCIe?

Edited by Quackers101

24 minutes ago, Breeksta said:

-

I'll try the paperclip method

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

~(˘▾˘~)   (~˘▾˘)~

Update 28/12/2020: Turns out the way the hard drive was mounted to the hard drive cage was the issue and not the PSU. The screws at the bottom of the H510 hard drive cage was touching the PCB of the hard drive and causing a short, triggering the PSU's short circuit protection. Mistake on my part, but the H510 HDD installation instructions aren't very detailed (they literally just show you a single picture of the blown up HDD cage showing where the screws go). Dead hard drive later (though I managed to get a replacement), my PC is up and running! Wow what a journey trying to diagnose the issue!! xD

Yeap, so I've tried testing the PSU with the paperclip method (connecting pin 15 and 16), ensured that I've turned hybrid mode OFF to see if the PSU fan spins and connected the hard drive to see if it will spin up but to no avail. PSU fan does not spin nor do I hear the hard drive spinning or feel it vibrating. 

Edited by Soppro

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

~(˘▾˘~)   (~˘▾˘)~