Schiit Modi & Magni (Stack)

FTFY.

You say that as if it's a bad thing.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

You say that as if it's a bad thing.

It's only a bad thing when people don't realise they are reading marketing material because it is cleverly disguised as a blog or a mission statement etc.   Not saying that you don't realise or anything like that, I did consider putting in this :P  face to indicate that my concerns are not aimed at you as such,  but decided against it because it can also come across as demeaning.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Some of the best systems I've heard and that grace the homes of high end audiophiles contain tube amplifiers. 

Every amp distorts the signal. 

At the end of the day an audiophile is someone who likes audio,  if they like low fidelity sound reproduction then tubes are great, but they cannot be used in high fidelity reproduction equipment.  It is simply an oxymoron to call a tube amp a hifi amp. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It's only a bad thing when people don't realise they are reading marketing material because it is cleverly disguised as a blog or a mission statement etc.   Not saying that you don't realise or anything like that, I did consider putting in this :P  face to indicate that my concerns are not aimed at you as such,  but decided against it because it can also come across as demeaning.

I never consider that as demeaning :P

Your point is valid of course, but marketing material still let's you glean valuable information on the values of a company a lot of the time.

At the end of the day an audiophile is someone who likes audio,  if they like low fidelity sound reproduction then tubes are great, but they cannot be used in high fidelity reproduction equipment.  It is simply an oxymoron to call a tube amp a hifi amp. 

THANK YOU

You would not believe how often people jump down my throat for that. I don't care if you like tube amps or not, but it aint accurate.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Your point is valid of course, but marketing material still let's you glean valuable information on the values of a company a lot of the time.

THANK YOU

You would not believe how often people jump down my throat for that. I don't care if you like tube amps or not, but it aint accurate.

Oh, I believe it, being a semantic data nazi, I get lectured all the time for pointing out the inaccuracies of so-called "common knowledge". It kinda sucks when I'm wrong though. :unsure:

THANK YOU

i'm lollling so hard right now. Have you heard audio research amps? Have you ever listened to a pair of wilson watt puppys?

I'm not questioning the fact that solid state will give you more "accurate" aka less thd than a valve driven setup. But have you listened to a super high end valve amplifier with a solid set of speakers. Solid state can't compete IMO. 

Yes I'm jumping down your throat right now. lol

Main CPU: i7-3770k 1.2v 4.4ghz | MOBO: Asus M5E | RAM: Corsair Dom Plat. 2133mhz 8gb | GPU: Asus gtx 680 direct cu II Top | DRIVES: Samsung 840 Pro, Segate Baracuda, Western Digital Caviar Black | POWER SUPPLY: Corsair AX860 | CASE: CM HAF 932 a | CPU COOLER: H100 w/ push pull sp120's | KEYS: Ducky Shine II (black switches, purple backlit) | MOUSE: mionix naos 8200 ||||| Backup CPU: i5-4670k 1.2v 4.4ghz | MOBO: Asus M6H | RAM: Corsair Dom Plat. 1866mhz 8gb | GPU: Asus gtx 560 direct cu II OC | DRIVES: Samsung 840 Pro , Segate Baracuda | POWER SUPPLY: Corsair HX1050 | CASE: Corsair Carbide 300r window | CPU COOLER: Corsair H80 w/ push pull sp120's | KEYS: Microsoft sidewinder x4 | MOUSE: : Logitech g400 

i'm lollling so hard right now. Have you heard audio research amps? Have you ever listened to a pair of wilson watt puppys?

I'm not questioning the fact that solid state will give you more "accurate" aka less thd than a valve driven setup. But have you listened to a super high end valve amplifier with a solid set of speakers. Solid state can't compete IMO. 

Yes I'm jumping down your throat right now. lol

I don't CARE if you like it bettter, it's objectively less accurate and cannot exactly represent the source file. You even admit that, that was the only point made.

If you want to be elitist about your super expensive tube amps take it to someone who cares.

I don't CARE if you like it bettter, it's objectively less accurate and cannot exactly represent the source file. You even admit that, that was the only point made.

If you want to be elitist about your super expensive tube amps take it to someone who cares.

No elitist here, just a tube fan. I'm just trying to see what people have experience with. Sure low end tube amps can be less accurate but some of the higher end ones are just as accurate and brilliant as solid states. That's why I asked questions about nicer tube setups. 

Main CPU: i7-3770k 1.2v 4.4ghz | MOBO: Asus M5E | RAM: Corsair Dom Plat. 2133mhz 8gb | GPU: Asus gtx 680 direct cu II Top | DRIVES: Samsung 840 Pro, Segate Baracuda, Western Digital Caviar Black | POWER SUPPLY: Corsair AX860 | CASE: CM HAF 932 a | CPU COOLER: H100 w/ push pull sp120's | KEYS: Ducky Shine II (black switches, purple backlit) | MOUSE: mionix naos 8200 ||||| Backup CPU: i5-4670k 1.2v 4.4ghz | MOBO: Asus M6H | RAM: Corsair Dom Plat. 1866mhz 8gb | GPU: Asus gtx 560 direct cu II OC | DRIVES: Samsung 840 Pro , Segate Baracuda | POWER SUPPLY: Corsair HX1050 | CASE: Corsair Carbide 300r window | CPU COOLER: Corsair H80 w/ push pull sp120's | KEYS: Microsoft sidewinder x4 | MOUSE: : Logitech g400 

No elitist here, just a tube fan. I'm just trying to see what people have experience with. Sure low end tube amps can be less accurate but some of the higher end ones are just as accurate and brilliant as solid states. That's why I asked questions about nicer tube setups. 

I have experience with a lot of this shill,  Having listened to everything from $99 reject shop tubes to amps costing 10's of thousands of dollars, they are not worth it, in fact even if you were to pay the engineers handsomely for there effort, put a respectable profit margin on the parts and sales etc they would still only be worth half  if not a 1/4 of what some companies charge.  There is a lot of fat in the industry  and not much truth. Add to that that a tube (no matter how expensive) will never be as accurate as a SS amp.  that is just a cold hard fact of reality.   Essentially the difference between "low end" and "high end" is two tenths of bugger all.

Linus... I know you won't like this... but I suggest you try the Audioengine D1.

While I find it to be overkill... for just about anyone, honestly (I used to be an audiophile, got tired of the BS marketing), I bought one for the feature set as it suited me perfectly.

It's got a dead quiet headphone amp that run 250ohm headphones well (going higher resistance headphones doesn't do any good), RCA out, optical in, runs off USB power (with USB input), volume control also controls RCA output level, and it's small.

The Schiit stack is good for only running heaphones; there's no optional RCA output.

The O2 DAC+Amp is also good, but doesn't offer RCA output.

Both run from the wall, so it's another cable to plug in.

The only downsides I see the D1 having is no 1/4" headphone jack, not highly powered, and can be finicky with USB power and bitrate (both can cause static in the noise floor).

Anyways, worth a shot. This is my first time on the forums, and I have to say I enjoy your videos a lot! Don't let the audiophiles bug you too much; they're nice people... sometimes. 

As someone who has been looking for a amp/dac and thinking of a shiit stack,/O2/audioengine d1, this would be a great addition as these three solutions all fall in that entry level audiophile price range

As someone who has been looking for a amp/dac and thinking of a shiit stack,/O2/audioengine d1, this would be a great addition as these three solutions all fall in that entry level audiophile price range

I actually went with the Audioengine D1 over the Schiit stack because I wanted the option of having a optical input but found it didnt have enough juice to power my Beyerdynamic DT 990 premium 250ohm headphones so I purchased the Magni with the PYST cables to pair with the D1 and after a good 3 months of burn in they sound great. 

and after a good 3 months of burn in they sound great. 

Must be broken or something.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

It is a DAC or digital to analog converter and a headphone amp combo. essentially the DAC takes the digital song data from your computer (the 1's and 0's) and converts it into an analog wave (think soundwave) that can drive headphones to make sound. The Amp part simply makes the wave bigger so that higher impedence headphones (imagine high impedence headphones are a solid block of metal and low impedance headphones are a feather, they need a bigger wave to move them) can be driven properly. You might need this product if your onboard audio DAC solution is not very good, or you have very high impedance headphones.

I got BeyerDynamic DT770 PROs, 250 OHM version. would the Magni/Modi be good for me? sorry for the necro posting, trying to do research before buying

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE