Response time!

Is there any way to check what response time my monitor is running? The one that I am using (ASUS VG248QG) is advertised .5ms and it has some feature called ELMB which can only be enabled if I am running the monitor in 120hz.

As per Asus's website:

0.5ms* response time for smooth gameplay, and ASUS Extreme Low Motion Blur (ELMB) Technology to further reduce ghosting and motion blur

So should I run it in 120hz to get .5ms or will I get .5ms if I am running it in 165hz?

Just a bit confused here.

I'd love for some feedbacks here.

Thanks.

General advice is that:

1. Manufacturer advertised response times are little more than advertising spiel; don't read too much into them
  2. If you're satisfied with the experience at the moment, you will gain nothing from obsessing over exactly what response time you are getting

In other words: don't worry about it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

2 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

General advice is that:

1. Manufacturer advertised response times are little more than advertising spiel; don't read too much into them
  2. If you're satisfied with the experience at the moment, you will gain nothing from obsessing over exactly what response time you are getting

In other words: don't worry about it.

Yeah I did hear manufactures tend to do that and in terms of experience this is the first monitor I am using with lower response time and to be honest I couldn't tell any difference.. maybe I have faulty eyes :P thats why I wanted to know for sure if it is running .5ms or whatever it is running..

ELMB is backlight strobing. Its used to reduce persistence blur. It can help, it will reduce brightness somewhat (in most cases).

It can however, also in most cases, cause strobe crosstalk (moving image duplication), so just turn it on and see if ur ok with it.

make sure your overdrive setting is set to the most appropriate setting* for the average refresh your screen runs at (if using variable refresh), as the setting u shoudl use will , in most cases, be different if ur for exampel running 60hz or 80hz, or 120hz etc.

*ull need to find a review that specifically tests for this, or just go by eye. generally speaking the highest setting isnt always the best, the one below it is.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |