How to transfer Office 2019 license from laptop to PC?

ItsJohnny

Hey, I got a new laptop and it came with Office 2019 Home & Student.

Is there a way for me to carry that license over to a different laptop or a PC if need be?

Maybe some drive cloning technology? Or is it linked to my Microsoft account and I can just login from the new device and download it?

Same goes for the Windows 10 license.

Both licenses should be linked to your M$ account. Should be as simple to log in on the new device. Exception being if your OS license is OEM or Volume.

Open command prompt (search start menu for cmd) and run

slmgr -dli

In script window that appears look at description line for terms "OEM, RETAIL or VOLUME" etc. If it says retail you can move it as many times you want.

3 hours ago, ItsJohnny said:

Is there a way for me to carry that license over to a different laptop or a PC if need be?

Maybe some drive cloning technology? Or is it linked to my Microsoft account and I can just login from the new device and download it?

You can move Office if it's linked to your Microsoft Account. Keep in mind that Office365 allows you to use it on as many machines as you want if you deactivate it from other machines. Bundled versions however might be OEM and are key'd to the device, which means even if you transferred it, the key will not activate on a new device that isn't the same OEM (HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc.)

There are of course ways around that, but that would be intentionally violating the EULA.

6 hours ago, Kisai said:

Bundled versions however might be OEM and are key'd to the device

9 hours ago, aDoomGuy said:

Exception being if your OS license is OEM or Volume.

The one I have is OEM haha😅

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/21/2020 at 3:16 AM, ItsJohnny said:

if it is came with laptop , i think both are OEM version , technically, you can transfer to another PC, but you can remove it from your new PC , then try to call microsoft , and ask their help to transfer it for you, maybe it will work, you can give it a shot