4K @144Hz vs 1440P @260Hz

-Arcanum-

Purely from a gaming perspective: what would be a better choice (and why) a 4K 144Hz monitor or a 1440p 260Hz monitor?

Realistically neither

Current hardware struggles with both of these on any AAA and even some esports titles 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

28 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Realistically neither

Current hardware struggles with both of these on any AAA and even some esports titles 

Interesting, thanks!
What would you suggest in that case? (preferably as future-proof as possible)

1 hour ago, -Arcanum- said:

Interesting, thanks!
What would you suggest in that case? (preferably as future-proof as possible)

1440p, 144hz max

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Assuming you are looking to keep this monitor for multiped video cards down the line (keeping the monitor 5+ years), I don't see why either of those wouldn't be a good choice. Sure, maybe the cards out now can't hit 144hz in most games at 4k ultra, but they can with settings turned down. Also, it doesn't matter if it can't peg 144hz, you still benefit from higher refresh rate assuming you are able to push over 60 frames. Finally, maybe you can't peg 144hz right now on ultra, but next generation of GPU's or the next will, and unless you plan on upgrading your monitor every time you make a GPU purchase to perfectly align with the capability of the GPU, then I don't see what's wrong with over buying the monitor a little bit now to avoid making a second monitor purchase in the future.

As for 144hz 4k vs 260hz 1440p that's going to be personal preference depending on what types of games you play. I don't play competitive e-sports type games so I just want the crispest most beautiful image I can get. 4k is where I would go. But do keep in mind that unless you are running a top tier GPU from this generation you may be struggling to get 60 frames without turning settings down on certain games (the vast average of games will easily sit in the 60-100 frames area).

2 hours ago, DDrawer said:

As for 144hz 4k vs 260hz 1440p that's going to be personal preference depending on what types of games you play.

Thank you.

I play primarily FPS (but am not that good at it... not a pro) and some turn-based strategy games, so i guess that puts me between the two. 
I do a little photo and video editing (but again not professionally).

In terms of setup, I will (whenever they are in stock 'again') be building a new (dream :) ) rig with an Aorus RTX 3090 Xtreme (and a 5900X and 64GB 3600-CL16 RAM on an Aorus x570 Master). Then comes the monitors (I hope to run a triple monitor setup)

This is why I am stuck between the two...

Any suggestions based on this?