Replace 60Hz screen with 144Hz one?

Steo
Go to solution Solved by Steo,

Sorry, it turns out that it has a 40-pin LVDS, and it seems only certain FHD screens will even work. I've just ordered the same model of LCD and I'll accept however it looks, as long as it doesn't have the faded left edge/corners.

Hi. I have a HP Envy 15-J, and the corners of the screen on the left side are fading on it. I'm wondering if it would be possible to replace the screen with a better one? I don't use it to game much, but the colours are so washed out on the current one that I was hoping it would be possible to use an IPS one. My laptop seems to use a 40 pin eDP, but unfortunately, I can't find any 40 pin eDP IPS ones which are 60Hz. Most of them seem to be 144Hz while not costing a lot.

If the connector is the same on the 144Hz panels (same placement too), is there any reason they shouldn't work? The only thing I'd think of is possibly bandwidth limitations, though I would have guessed eDP is standard and I'm not sure if there are any other factors. I'm just wondering if anyone else has any idea who's experienced with laptops, I'm more on the desktop side of things.

OS: LFS, Arch, Gentoo | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F | RAM: 16GB HyperX @ 3600MHz (OC)

GPU: XFX Thicc III Ultra RX 5700 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe, 500GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD

PSU: BeQuiet 530W | Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer 240

it uses more battery because it refreshes it twice as much.

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, it turns out that it has a 40-pin LVDS, and it seems only certain FHD screens will even work. I've just ordered the same model of LCD and I'll accept however it looks, as long as it doesn't have the faded left edge/corners.

OS: LFS, Arch, Gentoo | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F | RAM: 16GB HyperX @ 3600MHz (OC)

GPU: XFX Thicc III Ultra RX 5700 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe, 500GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD

PSU: BeQuiet 530W | Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer 240