New RTX 3080 Low GPU Utilization/Performance

Jayden933

Today I was finally able to get an RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X Trio), an upgrade from my Zotac Amp Extreme GTX 1080. I have a Ryzen 9 3900X, both the CPU and GPU are just running stock. In Cyberpunk 2077 (I know it's a little buggy, but not to the performance-impacting degree I'm experiencing), I am only getting 60-80 fps on 1080p low preset (no DLSS, no ray tracing) and according to other benchmarks I should be getting like 120+ fps average. MSI Afterburner shows the GPU utilization floating only between 40 and 60%, and CPU utilization is also typically in the 60% range. I used the hex editor patch (detailed here) to enable multithreading on Ryzen in the game and can confirm they're all getting used in task manager. I also changed the config file (detailed here) to allocate more RAM and VRAM than is in the config. I also tried running the game as administrator and enabling Game Mode in Windows, but nothing has solved it. Idk what is causing my issue though. The only thing I can think of is that I'm on an older Asus Prime X370 Pro motherboard and am limited to slower Corsair LPX 2666MHz RAM (2x16GB), but I don't think RAM speed scaling should impact me that severely. Any help/ideas?

Here is my 3DMark benchmark of this new configuration. The GPU performance is a little lower than average for a 3080, but I figure that can probably be attributed to the lower RAM speeds
https://www.3dmark.com/spy/16314226

It’s a very new game.  That neither the entire cpu or gpu is being used implies there is some sort of major limitation.  Either one or the other should generally be buried.  Most common one would be monitor stuff.  Makes me curious if/how much increasing detail levels reduces frame rate.  Also a bit curious as to how that 60% for cpu is derived because that cpu has an unusually large number of available threads.  Is one thread consistantly near 100% even if others are lower?

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

11 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It’s a very new game.  That neither the entire cpu or gpu is being used implies there is some sort of major limitation.  Either one or the other should generally be buried.  Most common one would be monitor stuff.  Makes me curious if/how much increasing detail levels reduces frame rate.  Also a bit curious as to how that 60% for cpu is derived because that cpu has an unusually large number of available threads.  Is one thread consistantly near 100% even if others are lower?

image.png.ae8fad3ab4f0a034dc51ef2bcb9e5540.png

Nah, they're all getting used about 50-60%. I think it's just pretty demanding on GPU and CPU. But I can't figure out why it won't utilize the GPU. I'm playing at 1440p high with ray tracing and DLSS and still getting the same fps as when I'm on 1080p low preset, around 60fps. Only difference is now with all those added loads, it's actually utilizing most of the GPU in this scenario.

Looks more like 80-90% cpu usage to me.  It isn’t hitting the very top though.  It’s not a buried cpu as far as I can tell (though I have no experience with 3900s) does the gpu graph look similar?  Also how much fps loss by increasing settings?  If it’s a buried cpu issue one should be able to increase setting with little or no fps loss.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

10 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Looks more like 80-90% cpu usage to me.  It isn’t hitting the very top though.  It’s not a buried cpu as far as I can tell (though I have no experience with 3900s) does the gpu graph look similar?  Also how much fps loss by increasing settings?  If it’s a buried cpu issue one should be able to increase setting with little or no fps loss.

No, that's the thing, I can turn the graphics settings down to 1080p low (where I should be getting like 120+ fps), but the GPU utilization just fluctuates between 40 and 60% and I only get 60-80 fps. I can turn the graphics up to 1440p high with ray tracing which adds a lot more load, so the utilization is typically 75-95%, but still at the same framerate. So the GPU performance isn't scaling properly. I can even crank it all the way down to 720p and still only get 60-70 fps and 50% GPU utilization.

48 minutes ago, Jayden933 said:

No, that's the thing, I can turn the graphics settings down to 1080p low (where I should be getting like 120+ fps), but the GPU utilization just fluctuates between 40 and 60% and I only get 60-80 fps. I can turn the graphics up to 1440p high with ray tracing which adds a lot more load, so the utilization is typically 75-95%, but still at the same framerate. So the GPU performance isn't scaling properly. I can even crank it all the way down to 720p and still only get 60-70 fps and 50% GPU utilization.

So you seem to have a bottlenecked or locked frame rate. It’s not raw system power, it’s something else.  What could be causing that?  Gsynch and freesynch could do it. Other stuff too perhaps. Not sure.  You did do a bunch of stuff.  Something about a hex editor even.  I might want to revert to stock before looking for a problem.  Might not be necessary.  I don’t know. I don’t think it’s in the game code.  I understand people have gotten higher framerates.  Something unusual I’m not aware of.  Some setting or other that limits some part of the process.