Looking to replace my F.R.E.Q. 7 headset (rip headset)

Wafflexboy

I had the FREQ 7 headset for 5 years now. It was $300 new and is $300 now. The surround sound is good enough for me to pinpoint sound with little now no hesitation. Games like Prop Hunt are too easy. But anyway..

$300 (usd) is a bit out of my price range for what I want to spend, but if other headsets are not up to the task I'll just rebuy it. 

I've seen lots of ad's for the Logitech PRO X (wired, not lightspeed) for around $120. And I've seen recommendations for the Sennheiser PC37x. But I'm worried that neither of these will keep up. And the curse of my current headphones is that my gf's $80 headset sounds like tin cans on a megaphone.

Am I wrong in thinking that 5 year old $300 is equal to modern $150? Will I be taking a large step down by not spending $300? 

I think I want good audio in and out, but I'm worried I want great audio in and out. 

Buying audio equipment worries me because I don't have hand on experience with anything so I don't have levels to compare. The only think I know is my current headset (my current Gold standard), my Sony MDRXB50AP earbuds I use on my phone (85% with few draw backs), my gf's E25's (which I despise), and her G430's (which are also flat and tinny). 

A quick edit: Thinking about it, the headset might be salvageable and I might just need an external mic, although I am not sure how well a separate mic would work for me ergonomically. But if anyone has recommendations I would love to hear them!

Edited by Wafflexboy
A quick afterthought