Download speed hell

MVCast

Hi everyone,

so I'm having quite some problems with downloads speeds. Some context: I have done a clean windows installation becuase I changed motherboard and processor. Previously when using Steam I had download speed that were near the 600Mbps that I have. Happens that now it is restraing for some reason to 5/7 Mbps at best. I have tried to download other things from sources that use and the same drop of speed has occurred.

I have tried a lot of things that I have found on many sites, but none of them have fixed the issue. I have to add something important. When I (accidentally) logged in my Microsoft account the issue was resolved (Steam speed went to what I used to have) but then, when I log out, it all when back wrong. I tried to log in again but now it doesn't work.

You changed motherboard? Are you using Wi-Fi or an Ethernet cable?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

I'm sure that it was resolve for the amount of time that I was logged in before I logged out becuase the Steam download went from 3GB to 30GB in a very short amount of time

I'm using ethernet. Network setup was working fine before the upgrade and it worked for that amount of time that I have described above

Things I have tried:

-Edit the Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level

-Changint the QoS Packet Scheduler

-Changing the Windows optimization distributiion

-Reseting network configuration

-Turning off the firewall

None of it has worked and I can't find anything else to try

Note: I don`t have a 3rd party anitvirus

4 minutes ago, MVCast said:

I'm using ethernet. Network setup was working fine before the upgrade and it worked for that amount of time that I have described above

If you do a speed test on speedtest.net what is your results?

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

PC Parts Picker Link to Build

Network

Netgear LBR20 LTE Router | Verizon Unlimited Prepaid Hotspot Plan

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

Rasberry Pi 4 Running Pihole

Linksys Velop 3 Mesh Wifi AP's

1 minute ago, ddennis002 said:

If you do a speed test on speedtest.net what is your results?

600 Mbps simetric as it should be

I'm running on windows 10 pro, don't know if that is helpful information

Just now, MVCast said:

600 Mbps simetric as it should be

Have you downloaded the latest drivers? Straight from the vender, so if you have intel NIC go to intel site and download straight from there.

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

Network

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

4 minutes ago, ddennis002 said:

Have you downloaded the latest drivers? Straight from the vender, so if you have intel NIC go to intel site and download straight from there.

Since I had those results on the speed test. I'm going to download the drivers now and lets see

Ok I'm trying but I have no clue what should I download from the Intel side

1 minute ago, MVCast said:

Ok I'm trying but I have no clue what should I download from the Intel side

What motherboard do you have?

Internet Connection

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

Network

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

1 minute ago, ddennis002 said:

What motherboard do you have?

X570 Aourus pro

Maybe do an antivirus scan to see if any Malware is clogging up your routers bandwidth

My Laptop: A MacBook Air 

My Desktop: Don’t have one 

My Phone: An Honor 8s (although I don’t recommend it)

My Favourite OS: Linux

My Console: A Regular PS4

My Tablet: A Huawei Mediapad m5 

Spoiler

But this is really weird. It wored while I was logged in with the Microsoft account. It must have taking the configuration that it had stored and then it changed it back when I logged out.

2 minutes ago, Sandro Linux said:

Maybe do an antivirus scan to see if any Malware is clogging up your routers bandwidth

No way, clean installation just today

Internet Connection

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

Network

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

Just now, MVCast said:

No way, clean installation just today

Ok, probably a hardware issue related to your motherboard and its wifi chip if it has one

Spoiler

Just now, Sandro Linux said:

Ok, probably a hardware issue related to your motherboard and its wifi chip if it has one

Read above, it worked fine and then it didn't. Also, speed test is perfect. It has to be a setting.

Just now, Sandro Linux said:

OP stated he is running Ethernet not over Wifi.

Internet Connection

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

Network

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

Just now, ddennis002 said:

OP stated he is running Ethernet not over Wifi.

Ok 

Spoiler

Just now, MVCast said:

Speed test perfomed just right now

SS_speedtest.png

Is the issue only present in steam client?

Internet Connection

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

Network

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

And Steam is going really slow and I have configured it properly (no bandwidth cap on Steam) and I have tried changing servers

Just now, ddennis002 said:

Is the issue only present in steam client?

I tried downloading a big file from OneDrive and it seem to be too slow. Same thing when I just downloaded the nertwork adapter drivers.