Getting Blue screen with the error msg: "irql_not_less_equal

zzarizz
Go to solution Solved by zzarizz,

I'm not sure if I updated this post but here is it again, better double then nothing. 

Got my Ryzen 3 3300X and the system works perfect without any issues. Two days ago I received the new 5800x and that works perfect to. So the problem was probably on the bended pins on the CPU, even with this small bend.

48 minutes ago, zzarizz said:

I gotcha no worries, thanks. I have an other PC (Intel Core i7-9700k, 32GB RAM, which I was going to give my little cousin) there I installed Windows on the M.2 NVMe SSD freshly, installed all drivers and swapped it with the new rig. Starts and immediately the blue screen pops out. Took an other M.2 NVMe SSD which was formatted first and booted from an USB to install windows completely new. Came in the installation menu and ... blue screen same error msg. All this I tried before the pins were bend and after the pins were bend. 
Funny thing I experienced in this time. Yesterday I somehow managed to get in windows and played Cyberpunk without any issues for over 3h, shut the pc down and started it later aaand again blue screen.
Recently I just got in a fresh windows in, connected it to the internet and installed all drivers. After the PC needed a restart which I did poof blue screen. 
I really never came across something like this.  

Yeah intermittent problems are the hardest to diagnose. A return/RMA is always an option but I get you want to find the issue and solve it, I'm the same.  Have ylou tried the ram from the 9700k build in this mobo?

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x3D |  GPU - RTX 3080 TUF OC | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570 | RAM - Patriot Viper Blackout 32GB 3200MHz | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Corsair MP600 PCIe 4.0  Storage - 2 x 1TB SSD's & 1 500GB SSD | PSU - Seasonic Focus Gold 1000w | Display - ASUS TUF VG27WQ Curved 1440P 165Hz | Cooling - ASUS TUF LC240 AIO + 5 aRGB Fans

3 minutes ago, Gazereths said:

Yeah intermittent problems are the hardest to diagnose. A return/RMA is always an option but I get you want to find the issue and solve it, I'm the same.  Have ylou tried the ram from the 9700k build in this mobo?

Got 4 Sticks. 2x16GB 2666MHz and 2x16GB 3200MHz. The intel based system supports only the 2666MHz and I played on that system for over a half year without any problems. The new mobo supports 2667MHz DDR4 and I think that shouldn't be a big problem. Installed it into the mobo, BIOS recognized it and try to boot it. Same problem, even if I try to install Windows again blue screen with the same error msg. 

8 minutes ago, xyro27 said:

Yes, but do keep in mind that the drivers would be localized on the system. Gpu wouldn't matter if the irql error was due to nvidia drivers.

I would personally boot windows off another ssd or USB to check if you need a fresh install.

I tried to boot windows from 2 seperate SSD(M.2 NVMe Gen 3.0), USB and from an old HDD. Everything with the same issue/problem.

In memory sub timings menu, look for "power down mode" and disable it.

Sometimes, just increasing the memory voltage helps too.      

You may have a bit of v-droop on the Cpu, could always try and increase the Cpu LLC above "auto" also or try a positive offset of the smallest amount available.

11 minutes ago, zzarizz said:

Got 4 Sticks. 2x16GB 2666MHz and 2x16GB 3200MHz. The intel based system supports only the 2666MHz and I played on that system for over a half year without any problems. The new mobo supports 2667MHz DDR4 and I think that shouldn't be a big problem. Installed it into the mobo, BIOS recognized it and try to boot it. Same problem, even if I try to install Windows again blue screen with the same error msg. 

Well that almost certainly rules out bad ram sticks. Has to be mobo or cpu, I'd usually blame the mobo. The intel board should work with the 3200mhz ram, it will just default to 2133/2400 as usual.

Did you install the b550 chipset driver for windows? Not sure if it would make a difference anyway https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b550

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x3D |  GPU - RTX 3080 TUF OC | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570 | RAM - Patriot Viper Blackout 32GB 3200MHz | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Corsair MP600 PCIe 4.0  Storage - 2 x 1TB SSD's & 1 500GB SSD | PSU - Seasonic Focus Gold 1000w | Display - ASUS TUF VG27WQ Curved 1440P 165Hz | Cooling - ASUS TUF LC240 AIO + 5 aRGB Fans

7 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

In memory sub timings menu, look for "power down mode" and disable it.

Sometimes, just increasing the memory voltage helps too.      

You may have a bit of v-droop on the Cpu, could always try and increase the Cpu LLC above "auto" also or try a positive offset of the smallest amount available.

I don't find such settings in BIOS. Are there some familiar names for it? Or is that option not even in the BIOS. There is a picture of the RAM I actually got in, maybe you can see something.

IMG_0576.JPG

6 minutes ago, Gazereths said:

Well that almost certainly rules out bad ram sticks. Has to be mobo or cpu, I'd usually blame the mobo. The intel board should work with the 3200mhz ram, it will just default to 2133/2400 as usual.

Did you install the b550 chipset driver for windows? Not sure if it would make a difference anyway https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b550

That is an .exe file, I can't get in windows to execute it. Not even safe mode is working. Still trying atm to get in safe mode cause sometimes he gets it.

3 minutes ago, zzarizz said:

That is an .exe file, I can't get in windows to execute it. Not even safe mode is working. Still trying atm to get in safe mode cause sometimes he gets it.

Did you hot swap the Operating system hard drive?

Intel and AMD don't hot swap. Best chance is to remove ALL the intel drivers most importantly the chipset driver. (Even then, I have my doubts.)

You probably will be doing a fresh install on your AMD rig. (Sorry didn't realize till now what the issue is, lot going on in this thread. Disregard my last statements.)

Have you tried installing a different OS? Something light like peppermint linux. It's obviuosly not ideal, but it may give you a platform to do more testing. 

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Did you hot swap the Operating system hard drive?

Intel and AMD don't hot swap. Best chance is to remove ALL the intel drivers most importantly the chipset driver. (Even then, I have my doubts.)

You probably will be doing a fresh install on your AMD rig. (Sorry didn't realize till now what the issue is, lot going on in this thread. Disregard my last statements.)

I didn't hot swap any drive. What I did is: Installed a complete Windows x64 home on a PC that works (M.2 NVMe 500GB) took that drive out and putted it in the AMD rig, blue screen. I took an empty (M.2 NVMe 500GB) and booted from a USB (which I created with the windows creation tool) and booted from the USB, after getting in the installation menu blue screen. After many attempts I could install Windows but after it restarts the blue screen keeps coming.

4 minutes ago, Gazereths said:

Have you tried installing a different OS? Something light like peppermint linux. It's obviuosly not ideal, but it may give you a platform to do more testing. 

I can try it I think, but I am not much familiar with Ubuntu/Linux. Should I do it?

Just now, zzarizz said:

I can try it I think, but I am not much familiar with Ubuntu/Linux. Should I do it?

At this point it couldn't hurt, maybe able to find some linux based tools for testing the hardware???.....I'm not versed on Linux at all though, only ever used it on potato grade  latptops and retro emulation machines so you'd have to research what tools may be available. It's always handy to have a second OS on USB anyway, I have a few distros of Linux and windows 7,8,10 saved to bootable USB.

OK, going backwards a little bit.

Then I checked the BIOS Version and it was on F3, I updated the BIOS Version to F11n and I was able to install Windows. I updated all updates on Windows installed all needed drivers and got a beautiful blue screen with the error message: "irql_not_less_or_equal". Everything I tried atm:

Past F3 memory compatibility update.

went from not able to install windows to install windows.

Test the current memory configuration (not individually) with Memtest I think would be a good direction to go. 

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

OK, going backwards a little bit.

Past F3 memory compatibility update.

went from not able to install windows to install windows.

Test the current memory configuration (not individually) with Memtest I think would be a good direction to go. 

Isn't it bad updating, going back many times with the BIOS software? I already went back to F10.

7 minutes ago, zzarizz said:

Isn't it bad updating, going back many times with the BIOS software? I already went back to F10.

I just downgraded the BIOS Version and got the same problem like before. It's stuck on the windows logo. I've let it do for several hours without and difference.

IMG_0577.JPG

45 minutes ago, zzarizz said:

I just downgraded the BIOS Version and got the same problem like before. It's stuck on the windows logo. I've let it do for several hours without and difference.

Run memtest on it yet? 

7 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Run memtest on it yet? 

This will take 8h at least, is this really recommended? I just finished the memtest on default setting BIOS and XMP disabled on BIOS version F10. That took me 16h because I tested 4 RAM Sticks (2x16GB 2666MHz, 2x16GB 3200Mhz).

Maybe I found the problem...

I just saw on product page that the mobo supports: 

memory form factor: DIMM 288 pin

number of memory modules: 2
max memory: 64GB

memory chip: DDR4-2400, DDR4-2133, DDR4-3200, DDR4-2933, DDR4-2667

max. RAM OC: 5200

memory type: SDRAM

RAM buffer: unbuffered, ECC

AND what I purchased: 

memory form factor: DIMM 288 pin

number of memory module: 2

memory pro module: 16GB

memory type: DDR4-RAM

Please don't tell me that is the issue, just please....

(cause I'm feeling absolutely dumb right now, ngl)

10 minutes ago, zzarizz said:

memory type: SDRAM

DDR4 is a type of SDRAM. Your mobo should support standard RAM, I believe the ECC listing is just saying it can support, not saying it's a requirement since it also says unbuffered. Should be good.

Technology advances at such a smooth rate as to render us unaware of major leaps forward. It is only when we look back on our memories that we see the true majesty of the world we have created.

Quick update. Purchased SDRAM so I can exclude that (was hard stuck on my mind.) same problem, blue screen. I ordered a new Ryzen 3 3300X which should be supported from the mobo. Probably getting it tomorrow and try that out.

If somebody still have some ideas or something else to test/try, I'm up for it.

As soon I receive the Ryzen 3 I will immediately update on the result. 

Thanks for your time and everything!

cpu_support_3300x.thumb.png.d5f195b4cbd3484798616a8439a27fc7.png

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if I updated this post but here is it again, better double then nothing. 

Got my Ryzen 3 3300X and the system works perfect without any issues. Two days ago I received the new 5800x and that works perfect to. So the problem was probably on the bended pins on the CPU, even with this small bend.