PCIe wifi 6 card will bottleneck ?

tomytoka
Go to solution Solved by fordy_rounds,

No, as long as your GPU is in the correct (usually top-most) PCIE slot. That slot (and usually one M.2 slot) has lanes that connect directly to the CPU. The other slots' lanes connect to the chipset, which then multiplexes them onto 4 lanes (AMD, though I think Intel is similar) connecting to the CPU. So if you put everything into slots that connect via the chipset, then yes, it could bottleneck; but if the GPU and storage are in directly-connected slots, then it won't.

To illustrate what I mean, here's the B550 diagram; other systems are generally similar.

AMD Chipset Comparison: B550 Specs vs. X570, B450, X370, & Zen 3 Support  (2020) | GamersNexus - Gaming PC Builds & Hardware Benchmarks

i can't have a wired connection so i wanted to buy a wifi 6 card but idk if it will bottleneck my PCIe lanes , i have a 1080 and an m.2 ssd will adding a pcie wifi and bluetooth card bottleneck my conections? i have an 2700x and a x470 gaming plus

So long as you install it in a PCI_e x1 slot it won't interfere with the bandwidth available to your other devices.

At least that should be the case. I didn't read your motherboard manual.

No, as long as your GPU is in the correct (usually top-most) PCIE slot. That slot (and usually one M.2 slot) has lanes that connect directly to the CPU. The other slots' lanes connect to the chipset, which then multiplexes them onto 4 lanes (AMD, though I think Intel is similar) connecting to the CPU. So if you put everything into slots that connect via the chipset, then yes, it could bottleneck; but if the GPU and storage are in directly-connected slots, then it won't.

To illustrate what I mean, here's the B550 diagram; other systems are generally similar.

AMD Chipset Comparison: B550 Specs vs. X570, B450, X370, & Zen 3 Support  (2020) | GamersNexus - Gaming PC Builds & Hardware Benchmarks