LGA 775 Worth A Build?

Hi guys. So recently my dad gave my an LGA 775 socket motherboard with a intel core 2 duo and was wondering if it be worth it to make a build out of it. 

Heres the pictures of the motherboard. I had to use imgur because the photos were to big.

http://imgur.com/a/Zsr18

I wouldn't.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

well its abit depending, on what you planning to do with it.

The problem of this particular board is that its DDR2 ram. It will be hard to find some cheap ram for it.

you could put a midrange, or a semi midrange card in it. like a 7850 or a R9-270. or 7790. But remember in games like BF4 the cpu would definitely a bottleneck.

What about for a HTPC?

Eeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhh, I guess if you have spare parts lying around but I wouldn't go out and buy new parts just to work with this motherboard.

Why not? Find most of the parts used, or get people to donate them, get a small cheap ssd and make yourself a decent web browsing/movie pc.

At least its Core 2 Duo and not a P4, just don't spend money on the build, maybe a scraps case, wood, or some metal where you could make an exposed case for cheap.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

make a server or a media pc with it go to little computer shops and most have used ram and such you can get really cheap

i would trow Linux on it, and use it as a file server or what not. :)

Or Hackintosh.

Why would you say that?

Well core 2 due & dd2 gonna bottleneck you & it's quite outdated now. But in other side, it depends for what you gonna use it. If just for browsing Internet or watching movies, then it's gonna be ok.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

Well core 2 due & dd2 gonna bottleneck you & it's quite outdated now. But in other side, it depends for what you gonna use it. If just for browsing Internet or watching movies, then it's gonna be ok.

I might do that.

The problem of this particular board is that its DDR2 ram. It will be hard to find some cheap ram for it.

you could put a midrange, or a semi midrange card in it. like a 7850 or a R9-270. or 7790. But remember in games like BF4 the cpu would definitely a bottleneck.

Could I overclock it?

Could I overclock it?

well you could give it a try... but ECS mobo's where not the best quality. :) so dont blame me if it catch fire.

well you could give it a try... but ECS mobo's where not the best quality. :) so dont blame me if it catch fire.

I got a E2200 (2.2Ghz Pentium) to 3.4Ghz on a crappy Foxconn G31 board so he should be all right for mild overclocking:P

For gaming NO, but for media and you get the rest of the parts cheep/free.. Go for it. The Core2Duo is a solid CPU and I still have it fresh in my memory how it performed.

Had it in my prew system some years ago now, when I think about it the one I got now is starting to get old(i7 2600K) :P

Do you know witch Core2Duo it is?

Processor:AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Video Card:Asus ROG STIX RTX3080ti 12G OC CPU Cooling:Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 Case:Fractal Design Torrent Black RGB TG LightMotherboard:ASUS ROG Strix B550-F GAMING Memory:Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 32GBSoundcard:Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus

Monitor:AsusRogSwift PG279QHeadphones:Sennheiser PC360Keyboard: Logitech G510S Mouse:Logitech G502 HERO Operating System:Windows 10 HomePremium 64bit

For gaming NO, but for media and you get the rest of the parts cheep/free.. Go for it. The Core2Duo is a solid CPU and I still have it fresh in my memory how it performed.

Had it in my prew system some years ago now, when I think about it the one I got now is starting to get old(i7 2600K) :P

Do you know witch Core2Duo it is?

I have a picture of it in the link.

I have a picture of it in the link.

LOL.. Did not catch that pic for some reason..

I had the E8400 @ 3Ghz so I would call this sys with the E7300 good for entertainment and internet browsing on your TV. How high video quality this system would manage will reflect a bit on what graphics card you put in it.

But I would not spend allot of cash to get this up and running because even a E84-8500 with mem and motherboard can be bought very cheap used.

I see allot off these systems with LGA775 E8400, memory and motherboard selling for as low as $50 up to around $102.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gigabyte-GA-X38-DS4-LGA-775-Intel-E8400-3-0GHZ-Geil-4GB-RAM-/321353338401?pt=Motherboards&hash=item4ad226ce21

Processor:AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Video Card:Asus ROG STIX RTX3080ti 12G OC CPU Cooling:Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 Case:Fractal Design Torrent Black RGB TG LightMotherboard:ASUS ROG Strix B550-F GAMING Memory:Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 32GBSoundcard:Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus

Monitor:AsusRogSwift PG279QHeadphones:Sennheiser PC360Keyboard: Logitech G510S Mouse:Logitech G502 HERO Operating System:Windows 10 HomePremium 64bit

I have an LGA 775 box left over.  I might turn it into a router, but i wouldn't count on the performance being good enough for much else.

I use a core 2 duo for gaming...so using it as an HTPC with cheap used parts is a good idea (we also have a c2d htpc)

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Agreed, my friend had a Core 2 Duo at 2.8 Ghz and on 64man maps his game slowed to a stuttery, slow crawl

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

Build a NAS with it.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking