CPU doesn't clock down?

f2bacon
Go to solution Solved by Man,

Maybe your CPU is scared of the RTX3080?!

11 minutes ago, f2bacon said:

i set it to 1% min and 100% max.

Some people on Reddit actually 'swear' that you've to sit it all the way down to 0% to get it to downclock. In fact, here's one such thread:

So I've had this issue for around a year now. My ryzen 2600 seemed to be stuck at 4200mhz. I thought it was an issue with nzxt cam reporting the wrong temperatures and always showing the max clock speed because it would only show 4.2ghz no matter what. I changed to the ryzen 3600, same problem. I changed my motherboard and windows install. I can't figure it out. Today I swapped out to a cooler master ml240 mirror and I have the exact same issues. I've done about 15 builds as a side gig since covid started and I usually idle in the high 20s to low 30s. For whatever reason I idle around the 40s and 50s. I've tried all the power plans, latest chipset drivers, I tried using 1usmus ryzen clock tuner and now I'm at 4350mhz constant reported by mobro monitoring software and hwinfo. Ryzen master shows me fluctuating around 3000mhz and up, but still in the 40s and 50s. 
I've tried messing with ryzen master too. I've tried control mode default and auto OC. Usually I idle in the 30s and then if I turn on auto oc I go into the 50s.
My temps are fine and under control during gaming, never go above 60c on my cpu or gpu. Any clues or ideas?

GPU: Asus RTX3080 Tuf
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master ML240 Mirror
MOBO: Asus Tuf B550m Gaming Plus
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case: Darkflash DLM-21 MESH
PSU: EVGA 750w G3

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

Cleared CMOS?

Yeah, I even swapped to a different motherboard!

Under the advanced power plan settings what is your minimum processor state?

2 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Under the advanced power plan settings what is your minimum processor state?

by default it's at 100% min 100% max, i set it to 1% min and 100% max. none of that's changed anything for me

2 minutes ago, f2bacon said:

by default it's at 100% min 100% max, i set it to 1% min and 100% max. none of that's changed anything for me

0%? What's task manager show for CPU use when you list all the processes? How about disk use, is something constantly writing/reading disk?

11 minutes ago, f2bacon said:

i set it to 1% min and 100% max.

Some people on Reddit actually 'swear' that you've to sit it all the way down to 0% to get it to downclock. In fact, here's one such thread:

Did you try installing chipset driver and using AMD balanced power plan?

I'm also thinking background softwares pinging those cores, keeping them up

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 hours ago, Man said:

yeah actually setting it to 0% finally lets me go as low as 1000mhz in ryzen master. mobro/nzxt cam still shows it as a constant 4200mhz though.
im getting as low as 36c idling now. not so bad, but it shoots up to 50c randomly and crawls back down.

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

Did you try installing chipset driver and using AMD balanced power plan?

I'm also thinking background softwares pinging those cores, keeping them up

i've tried the motherboard chipset and the more recent amd chipset driver, no difference from those.
i definitely have some background software. i have msi afterburner, elgato wavelink, rtx voice, deckboard, displayfusion, and google drive running. 

Screenshot 2020-12-08 024900.png

1 minute ago, f2bacon said:

yeah actually setting it to 0% finally lets me go as low as 1000mhz in ryzen master. mobro/nzxt cam still shows it as a constant 4200mhz though

For ryzen clock speeds, use ryzen master for most accurate readings

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

For ryzen clock speeds, use ryzen master for most accurate readings

i completely agree, i only use mobro because it's a nice lil fancy interface, since i do miss that about nzxt cam.

3 minutes ago, f2bacon said:

mobro/nzxt cam still shows it as a constant 4200mhz though.

Maybe its showing your 'peak' clock speed?

4 minutes ago, f2bacon said:

but it shoots up to 50c randomly and crawls back down.

That's perfectly normal behavior for Windows 10. 

My CPU idles at 1.8GHz but often goes up to 2.6-3.0GHz and bumps the voltage all the way up for some reason or another. 

It's probably as good as it gets, mate. Don't worry about it!

So I left 1usmus ctr (ryzen clock tuner) on overnight cause i know it takes forever and check this out. Problem solved?? (it was also 53f in my room)

Screenshot 2020-12-08 081709.png

You could try setting the LLC a little lower in BIOS to reduce some of the temp spikes. Actually you can probably undervolt it a some too to lower overall heat. 95C is pretty hot, boost clocks start throttling back at 70C. If I keep my 2700X temps down it'll all core self clock to 4ghz at 80C but when I've gotten temps lower (open window in winter, I was curious!) it would get up to 4150 all core. Not worth it! Over 70C it would only do 4.0ghz, and past 80C it starts pulling back pretty hard toward base clock and will begin to throttle under base clock past 95C. Keep that peak temp down and you'll get better performance, less noise, less heat, less power use, and a more pleasant experience. 

9 hours ago, Bitter said:

You could try setting the LLC a little lower in BIOS to reduce some of the temp spikes. Actually you can probably undervolt it a some too to lower overall heat. 95C is pretty hot, boost clocks start throttling back at 70C. If I keep my 2700X temps down it'll all core self clock to 4ghz at 80C but when I've gotten temps lower (open window in winter, I was curious!) it would get up to 4150 all core. Not worth it! Over 70C it would only do 4.0ghz, and past 80C it starts pulling back pretty hard toward base clock and will begin to throttle under base clock past 95C. Keep that peak temp down and you'll get better performance, less noise, less heat, less power use, and a more pleasant experience. 

i actually set LLC to 3 as part of ryzen clock tuner, which also undervolted a lil. i thought 95c maximum meant that ryzen master doesn't let it go above 95c. cause even after a restart it says 95c max. it never hits that though. i hit around 65 MAX in game. 

I thought that showed it was hitting 95C! LLC doesn't undervolt, just changes the vdroop compensation which if set too high will overshoot voltage.

15 hours ago, Bitter said:

I thought that showed it was hitting 95C! LLC doesn't undervolt, just changes the vdroop compensation which if set too high will overshoot voltage.

i know llc doesnt undervolt but i set llc to 3 as part of ryzen clock tuners procedure. ryzen clock tuner set up my cpu overclock nicely