First Build in 10 years - MSI X570 Creation compatiability with 5950x

I haven't built a computer in awhile, and am a little out of practice. I've assisted my friends with building their computers through the years, but I'm getting a little nervous this time around (you'll see why)

I ordered my first round of parts while I wait for Ryzen & Nvidia bring in more stock. I intend to have all the parts by the end of January.

My intended build:

Case: Lian Li Dynamic XL (RECEIVED)

Motherboard: MSI X570 Creation  (RECEIVED) https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRESTIGE-X570-CREATION

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5950X (PENDING)

CPU Cooler: EK 360 RGB (RECEIVED)

RAM: 128GB 3400 kit (PENDING)

SSD: M.2 (PENDING)

Power Supply: EVGA 1000 (RECEIVED)

Graphics Card: RTX 3080 (PENDING)

Its come to my attention that my motherboard probably doesn't natively support the Ryzen 5000 series without a bios update. I've always been under the impression that a motherboard needs a CPU to update the BIOS.

Do I need a CPU to do the BIOS update? Do I need to buy a cheap, older Ryzen 2000/3000 CPU to update the bios to support the 5950x?

The motherboard has no display output. Can I slap an old graphics card so I can see it post/update the bios?

I see something about a M-Flash Bios Update in the manual, but it doesn't mention whether I needs a CPU or not.

Anyone that can answer my questions and calm my nerves would be appreciated.

It doesn't seem like this board supports the ability to update the bios without a CPU, the earliest version that supports the 5000 series is version 7C36v1B which released on November 11th. It likely didn't ship with that version. I've heard of some manufacturers shipping out "BIOS update kits" that include the necessary components to update the BIOS so that may be worth looking into. Otherwise just pick up a cheap 2000 series chip (your motherboard also seems to support certain 1000 series chips too https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/PRESTIGE-X570-CREATION#support-cpu)

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Thanks. That's unfortunate to hear, but I was expecting that to be the answer.

Read this https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100 it's for the previous Ryzens but should be relevent. Also since you already have that MB - did you tried to run it without CPU just to get to BIOS? If you can do that you might be able to update from USB.

10 hours ago, prysm said:

Thanks. That's unfortunate to hear, but I was expecting that to be the answer.

You could send the cpu to amd, hen they would send  a cpu to update the bios with. But thats for 3rd gen in a b450, so i dont know bout 4th/5000/zen 3 in a x570

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Usually in such cases the retailer from where you will be buying the parts can be asked for assistance. I have done it myself and have had no issues at all, the retailers have always been quite nice and have helped in such occasions. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here