WiFi logging software

Zat0ichi

I'm looking for some logging software to see if my router WiFi is failing.

4 tablets, 3 phones, 2 laptops, range extender, TV and a Nvidia Shield.

Oh and my pc is hard wired.

A few devices have issues with maintaining a connection.

I use a work VPN and I have an ISP provided router. (UK)

The reviews on the latest BT provided router are not bad. But it's not infallible I'm sure.

My work VPN is stretched, on a good day I'll get 30mbit. (Domestic connect is FFTP 150Mbit)

My phone is a pixel3a so a bit old but also has issues which makes me think my router might be a problem.

How can I get an over view of that lot to see if it's the router or the devices?

@Zat0ichi

Search through your ISP device/gateway’s logs in the admin interface. Information there might be limited, but it’s something.

However, going about trying to diagnose WiFi issues using router logs isn’t going to yield much.

On 12/8/2020 at 10:36 PM, Falcon1986 said:

@Zat0ichi

Search through your ISP device/gateway’s logs in the admin interface. Information there might be limited, but it’s something.

However, going about trying to diagnose WiFi issues using router logs isn’t going to yield much.

Yeah. Just listing the amount of devices connected made me realise how many avenues I need to search. It's an intermittent fault and as much as I like self helping this is a whole load of not fun.

1st world problems in a world on fire.

59 minutes ago, Zat0ichi said:

Yeah. Just listing the amount of devices connected made me realise how many avenues I need to search. It's an intermittent fault and as much as I like self helping this is a whole load of not fun.

1st world problems in a world on fire.

What exact WiFi problem are you experiencing?

Content hanging.

Just sometimes browsers just stop responding, apps fail to connect.

The one thing that indicates it could be the router is streaming locally from a server. This sometimes gets glitchy and I have to restart the streaming app.

I often manage to speed test my ISP when something is going wrong and my connection is rock solid on spec so it's not that.

It lots of minor issues across all devices. I can live with the occasional hiccup. Billions of transistors, trillions of bits of information. Some glitches are inevitable But these minor issues seem to be getting more numerous.

I'm streaming remux 4k content regularly by WiFi and there are alot of devices connecting. I don't know much about networking but I'm pretty sure I'm working the router hard.

@Zat0ichi

Let’s start by establishing a few things:

1. State the makes/models of your existing network equipment; from the ISP’s modem to any routers/APs and how they’re all connected to each other.
  2. Post the wireless settings that you’re using on these devices.
  3. How large of a home do you have? One level or multiple levels? Are the issues that you experience based on distance from the wireless router?
  4. Run WiFi Analyzer and post the output from the ‘Networks’ and ‘Analyze’ pages (include for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, and highlight your SSID).

• 3 weeks later...

@Falcon1986

Appreciate you taking the time to answer and help.

1. BT Home hub 5. FFTP

2. Standard WEP on 5ghtz

3. Not very large, porblem can persist when stood next to the router.

4.Theres a very strong wifi repeater on next door in one spot that is closer than my own router but its on a different channel and this issue is device specific not location specific.