Thermal paste

yobi_juan

Hi I'm quite new to pc building and I've used this pc for like a 8 months and I used a new CPU which is the Ryzen 5 3600X and I've been using it for like maybe 3 months. For the first week I put the fan and the CPU in and the first week I used it my CPU was actually really hot it ranged from 60-80c and after that I took it out and put it back it and I think it was normal after that and now I checked the temperature for my CPU and it was 70-90c now and idk what to do cause I tried taking it out and putting back in and it still was hot as hell. I took this today checking if there was dust in my fan or pc which there wasn't at all and I took the fan out and checked whether or not the thermal paste is bad or not which I don't know if the thermal paste is bad or not please help me because I'm so confused right now 

20201205_151327.jpg

The thermal paste looks fine. If you're using the stock cooler that came with it then those temperatures are fine, it's just not that great but it's fine. If you want it cooler or quieter you could upgrade to a new cooler.

i9-11900K @ 5.1ghz;   RTX 3090 FE @ 2ghz;   ROG Maximus XII Hero;   4266mhz G.Skill 16GB DDR4;

Yeah the stock cooler isn't that great, it's ok but not fantastic, no.

I get 70-75° max on my 3600x depending on ambient during load on all threads with the Be Quiet! DR4 and a case with restricted airflow.

My friends told me to replace the thermal paste and get a new cooler. Im also getting a new case which is the phantek ecplise p300a currently im using a mini tower with bad airflow do you think that the new thermal paste and new cooler and the new case can help the my cpu temp go down?

Could high temperatures damage the cpu? 

10 hours ago, yobi_juan said:

I checked the temperature for my CPU and it was 70-90c now and idk what to do cause I tried taking it out and putting back in and it still was hot as hell.

Those temps are perfectly normal for the stock cooler.

47 minutes ago, yobi_juan said:

Could high temperatures damage the cpu? 

Maximum safe temp is 95°C, however chip degradation naturally occurs over time regardless of temperature. High temps only accelerate the process in which your chip degrades. You'll only really experience thermal throttling in the ~200-300Mhz range though, chip degradation is a very slow process.

50 minutes ago, yobi_juan said:

do you think that the new thermal paste and new cooler and the new case can help the my cpu temp go down?

Of course? Are you asking if fixing the issue would fix the issue? Of course it would.

**Issue is the cooler, and the case, not the included thermal paste. But yes, you should replace the thermal paste when you get the new cooler.

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

9 hours ago, OfficialTechSpace said:

Those temps are perfectly normal for the stock cooler.

Maximum safe temp is 95°C, however chip degradation naturally occurs over time regardless of temperature. High temps only accelerate the process in which your chip degrades. You'll only really experience thermal throttling in the ~200-300Mhz range though, chip degradation is a very slow process.

Of course? Are you asking if fixing the issue would fix the issue? Of course it would.

**Issue is the cooler, and the case, not the included thermal paste. But yes, you should replace the thermal paste when you get the new cooler.

Thank youu so much for the help this was really really helpfulll i appreciate it alot

11 hours ago, yobi_juan said:

Thank youu so much for the help this was really really helpfulll i appreciate it alot

Any time 👍

No worries 🤗

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways