What is this cable?

DerpChrisGaming

Wondering what this cable is, it goes from the motherboard to hard drive, I'm wondering if they make these that go to 2 separate drives so that I can add an SSD to this machine.

Thanks

PXL_20201130_164951733.jpg

Very odd, i never seen a HDD that need such cable.

Are you sure it's connected to the HDD?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

That looks like a 4 pin, is there an actual plug on the HDD?

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Kinda hard to tell with the blur and that angle alone.

You'd be amazed at the amount of connectors there are for powering hard drives.  I'm also curious as to seeing the back of the HDD where this plugs into.

This has to be super old if it's for the HDD

Reminder⚠️

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

That is a server mobo I'm talking about the HDD, I actually have a PC somewhere with 4 pin mobo

Reminder⚠️

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Well, OP listed a Dell prebuilt, not sure what kind.  But, OP was asking about what the cable was.  I don't know the exact name for it, but the point is it powers the HDD through the mobo.  I assume you mean you have PC that is  powered with a 4 pin?  That's different.

Ohh well I see then mine is different

Reminder⚠️

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

This is a less common connector you typically find on workstations and servers.  I've only seen it on a Supermicro, but as for OP's question I'd look up the manual as I don't know how much that cable can handle power wise.  That would be more of question for somone like JonnyGuru.

Guess my old PC is workstation / server or just really old

Reminder⚠️

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

I meant OP's cable/port for how that works.   Your's is likely usingn your generic green foxconn, or similar, OEM board if it's your basic prebuilt.   My concern for OP, is also the mobo's port that plugs into as again, not sure how much power it can handle hence why I'd check the manual+ask someone like Jonny who knows way more about power than I do.   Most people think if it fits it will work.  I should sleep as I'm struggling to word this the way I want to.  <.<   But, I just don't want OP to damage their stuff on that type of assumption.

It is some gigabyte board on lga 775 socket so I think it is a custom but just old 

Reminder⚠️

46 minutes ago, DerpChrisGaming said:

I'm wondering if they make these that go to 2 separate drives so that I can add an SSD to this machine.

I have an 8-pin that splits into two lines, 2 Sata power each, so I'd believe 2 drives out of 4 pins is more or less standard in this type of design:

Spoiler

IMG_20201130_143924.thumb.jpg.a8e463a4bcfc4285084c2924e32b02ba.jpg

On 11/30/2020 at 1:25 PM, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

Could this be the cable in question? The ATX 4-pin to 15-pin SATA.

@DerpChrisGaming

external-content.duckduckgo_com.thumb.jpg.6a8ad1ac8b74a46358c2e694816d4263.jpg

Yes thats what Im looking for, thanks