SMB file sharing

Joshcanread

I am trying to setup and SMB share on Windows that can be accessed over the network by an iPad pro using the files app and "Connect to server". LTT did this in one of their videos so they could edit video off their server but i just want to do it because it seems cool. 

How would you go about doing this exactly I made a folder in windows smb but i need an ipv4 address to access and i have no idea how to do that. 

Are you able to access the shares from another computer on the same network? If yes, go to task manager, then go to performance and then click on your connection on the left pane. Then on the right, look for your IPV4 address and type that into your iPad. For username and password, use your Windows account credentials. 

I have this setup and it works fine.
Hope this helps

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

Are you able to access the shares from another computer on the same network? If yes, go to task manager, then go to performance and then click on your connection on the left pane. Then on the right, look for your IPV4 address and type that into your iPad. For username and password, use your Windows account credentials. 

I have this setup and it works fine.
Hope this helps

I just discovered how to get the fully qualified domain name of the computer and i was able to connect to it on the ipad thanks for the help

its preferable to have a static ip address for your server (the windows device)

so it doesn't change each time you turn off your computer

It is cool but not great. On my network, it just gets me about a megabyte per second of speed and is not great. Your mileage may vary. It is good for docs but not playing videos. There are a lot of stutters. Again, your mileage may vary.

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

VPN Server Guide

It is cool but not great. On my network, it just gets me about a megabyte per second of speed and is not great. Your mileage may vary. It is good for docs but not playing videos. There are a lot of stutters. Again, your mileage may vary.

Sounds like it is a problem on your end. I am getting 50mbps on wifi tranfers even using a 2.4ghz network and maxing out my wired connection. Heck, I am even getting 3mbps on wifi to wifi SMB connections. You just need to setup your network properly.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

13 minutes ago, Levent said:

Sounds like it is a problem on your end. I am getting 50mbps on wifi tranfers even using a 2.4ghz network and maxing out my wired connection. Heck, I am even getting 3mbps on wifi to wifi SMB connections. You just need to setup your network properly.

I dont have a server like freenas. I have shared a few folders from one of my Windows laptops with an SSD. I think a freenas server would be faster but I dont have a spare machine for that. Do you think this is still an issue becuase I am doing this from a laptop? If yes could you suggest me how I could fix this? 

Also, I am using my ISP provided router so maybe that's an issue? I have a 100Mbps connection so my router should be able to handle atleast 100Mbps of connection speeds ig.

^

VPN Server Guide