I need advice for building a "future-proof" PC

MartinMarte94

I see a lot of comments about the motherboard, and that AMD is more furture proof than Intel.

Are people forgetting that this is the last product line on AM4?

The next processor will be on AM5 as it supports DDR5.

Just build something that you need now and be happy with. yes you could last the past many years with the same material a lot.

But that was because competition was lacking, and therefore improvements where lacking.

There are 2 ways to look at this.

There are new consoles so if you spec out better than a console you most likely will enjoy your PC for a while. for the comming years any AAA title will at least have a console setting at it will run. you might not be able to use the higest setting but still enjoy it.

The second part is that with AMD bringing competition to the both the CPU and GPU market now there is the possibility for another R&D war, and we might see both on the CPU and GPU side a lot more innovation in soon. it all depends on how much each side is willing to obliterate the competition. for all we know we might go back to the 90's where PC's are obsolete for gaming the second they are released.

How big will Intel, Nvidia and AMD rise the stakes in the foreseable future? and how much will DDR5 improve the performance of comming CPU products?

@MartinMarte94 your ram is a bit lacking I would either go for more ram, or downgrade the CPU those 2 aren't really in balance right now. 

Unless you are really into overclocking and not want to run stock, any B550/570 board would suffice.

B550 boards have a PCIe 4.0 connection to the x16 slot and your main Nvme slot. the rest is 3.0, X570 have 4.0 to all slots. but there is nothing to put into there that could use it.

It also supports all the new AMD 6800XT features as you have a 500 series chipset.

So there is no real benefit for a 570 vs a 550 board as the important parts are the same, both are fine, just pick the one you find pretty and has the feature set you like.

Thanks for these insights Crazywizard, I haven't thought of the quite possible R&D war between the 2 CPU giants.

It kind of makes me want to wait a few more months to see what happens next, but actual new product lineups might take at least a full year to be released. And I don't wanna wait that much.

That does mean that I will probably want to upgrade my CPU and MOBO rather "soon" (1/2 years) which to me sounds totally fine.

Oh, and regarding RAM, I'll probably upgrade to 32gb somewhere along the near future, probably a month or so after finishing the PC.