Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help picking GPU for an old system.

Hello everyone..

With all the goodies released(or to be released) recently I am planning on getting a new GPU(very limited budget) for my old system;

i7 4790k

2x8 1600mhz ddr3 ram

asus h97m-e mobo

250gb sata ssd + 1tb hdd

cooler master rs-600-asab-l3 psu (600w)

some cooler master case(I am not sure what it is, its been a while)

I currently am rocking a 1050ti in the system, however its starting to drop off... 

I have been thinking of getting one of the new lower end GPUs like 3050ti etc.

Would very much love your inputs, thanks in advance! 🙂

2 minutes ago, WitchyThingy said:

Hello everyone..

With all the goodies released(or to be released) recently I am planning on getting a new GPU(very limited budget) for my old system;

i7 4790k

2x8 1600mhz ddr3 ram

asus h97m-e mobo

250gb sata ssd + 1tb hdd

cooler master rs-600-asab-l3 psu (600w)

some cooler master case(I am not sure what it is, its been a while)

I currently am rocking a 1050ti in the system, however its starting to drop off... 

I have been thinking of getting one of the new lower end GPUs like 3050ti etc.

Would very much love your inputs, thanks in advance! 🙂

If you could find a used 2070 or 2060KO for a good price that would be a great option, may be hard with the use market being all over the place.

Rig: i9 9900k @ 5Ghz - - Z390 Auros Elite  - - EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra @ 2025Mhz - - 4x8GB Vengeance Pro 3000Mhz @ 3600MHz - - Samsung 950 Pro 512 NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Samsung 830 Pro 256 RAID 0 Lightroom + Photo work - - WD Blue 1 TB SSD for Games - - Corsair RM650i - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - EK Supremacy Evo - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK Full Cover GPU Block - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - Steel Series QcK XXL

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: ESXi 6.5 - - 250 GB SSD for VM's/ESXi boot - - FreeNAS 11.3-U2 - - HPE Proliant ML10 Gen 9 backbone - - i3 6100 - - 28 GB ECC - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander

White Lightning (original full watercooled build) - Homelab / Media Server - The Blue Beast (my car and other expensive hobby...) - iPhone Xs - 2018 MacBook Air

how are you surviving this system? forget about the nvidia 3000 series. I'm surprised you could get a 1050 ti in this. ddr3 sucks a lot and that cpu is around 4 years old and would bottleneck a lot.

3050 ti is still many months away.

The used market is hit pretty hard right now as there is a constant trickle of used cards coming from people upgrading which is causing a lot of fomo buying. 

But if you have to upgrade now, and you're set on keeping the rest of that system, I don't think I'd really go much past a 2060. Your system needs an overhaul to get the most out of your hardware. 

4 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

If you could find a used 2070 or 2060KO for a good price that would be a great option, may be hard with the use market being all over the place.

I have no problem waiting for new gpus for a few more months.

2 minutes ago, RyZen3200G said:

how are you surviving this system? forget about the nvidia 3000 series. I'm surprised you could get a 1050 ti in this. ddr3 sucks a lot and that cpu is around 4 years old and would bottleneck a lot.

I gave my main rig to my brother as a college present, I will be getting a new rig probably in the second half of 2022(hopefully). I just want some good fps till then 😄

2 minutes ago, WitchyThingy said:

I have no problem waiting for new gpus for a few more months.

I gave my main rig to my brother as a college present, I will be getting a new rig probably in the second half of 2022(hopefully). I just want some good fps till then 😄

2022 seems long waiting. You could build one of these cheap as you already have a 1050 ti. Go with team red on this one and use the ryZen 3200G, the same one I use. It's just a 100 bucks and you can get an a series mobo for under 70 bucks. Ram has been very cheap lately, you can get 8 gigs for 20 bucks and for storage you can go with an wd green ssd or the current ones you have.

I run a similar system, though my cpu is weaker: Xeon E3-1231v3, which is basically a locked i7-4770 minus 100 MHz and with no igpu. I have a 1660 Super in it, which seems like a pretty decent match. I'm almost always gpu bound at 1080p in RDR2 for example, and can hit a mostly 60 fps (occasional drops into the mid to high 50s) using the settings Hardware Unboxed recommends (their two videos are a must if you're going to play RDR2). Though I do use DDR3-2400 in my system. Not sure that either the Haswell cpu nor the 1660 Super are going to age too well by the end of next year though when games optimized for the new consoles start to release, but they're still pretty good now. Other games I have played recently like Control and Sekiro seem gpu bound in the system too, but I'm waiting to see if Haswell 4C/8T will be enough to run Cyberpunk without taking a hatchet to settings. If Cyberpunk needs it then I'll upgrade to a 5600X or 3600 most likely.

Though I probably would have sprung for an RTX 2060 instead of the 1660 Super had I known how awesome DLSS-2.0 would turn out.

That cpu is still quite a good performer and something like a 2060/2070 would perform quite well in most games specially if you go for high or ultra details and aim for high fps. 

I7 4770 non K

Sapphire nitro+ RX 590 SE

16 gig of G.Skill DDR3 at 1600 MHz 9-9-9-24

Asus Z97-A USB 3.0

Corsair HX 850 gold semi-modular PSU

Noctua NH-U12S with a second noctua NF-F12 fan
Antec 302 with stock antec 120mm and 140 mm as exhaust

1x Noctua NF-A12x15 as side exhaust

2x Noctua NF-S12A as intake

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb SSD

Toshiba DT01ADA200 2 Tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache

Logitech G305

GMMK tkl barebones with kailh speed copper and blank pbt dsa profile keycap.