Motherboard doesn't turn on

Go to solution Solved by seth125,

Well I'm glad to say I solved my issue. It came out to be the Battery. I replaced it and the problem was gone. The PSU was ok thou. Everything went better than expected :)

Hello everyone. This is my first time in this forum and I've heard good stuff 'bout this site. My problem is my motherboard, a Z77x-UD5H suddenly stopped working. I builded my rig so I could make a Hackintosh but that´s not the deal. It was working pretty well for many months until a few days ago. The OS X started behaving weird so I had to force the restart. But strangely my system didn't boot from the OS X disk, but from the Win8 disk, which shouldn't. I restarted again and choose manually the partition to boot, but the OS X disk wasn't detected, even through the BIOS. Every time ran directly through Win8, so I kinda got tired at that time and put the PC to sleep for a while. When I came back to try to solve it, I found out the PC was totally switched off, not sleeping, as should. When I pressed the bottom to switch it on, nothing happened. I checked the power cord and nothing. I opened the case to see if was something else, and noticed the onboard leds weren't even turned on.

Then I unplugged every PSU cable on the motherboard and plugged them again, but this time, just for a while, one of the leds turned on, but went off immediately. I removed the graphic card, the disks and the memories, and tried again, and happened exactly the same. One led turned on and off immediately. I assumed it was the PSU that wasn't sending enough power to the motherboard, but I tested it and seems to be working. I'm kinda starting to get worried for I can't figure out what's going on. Already did everything I could possibly do by myself.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hello everyone. This is my first time in this forum and I've heard good stuff 'bout this site. My problem is my motherboard, a Z77x-UD5H suddenly stopped working. I builded my rig so I could make a Hackintosh but that´s not the deal. It was working pretty well for many months until a few days ago. The OS X started behaving weird so I had to force the restart. But strangely my system didn't boot from the OS X disk, but from the Win8 disk, which shouldn't. I restarted again and choose manually the partition to boot, but the OS X disk wasn't detected, even through the BIOS. Every time ran directly through Win8, so I kinda got tired at that time and put the PC to sleep for a while. When I came back to try to solve it, I found out the PC was totally switched off, not sleeping, as should. When I pressed the bottom to switch it on, nothing happened. I checked the power cord and nothing. I opened the case to see if was something else, and noticed the onboard leds weren't even turned on.

Then I unplugged every PSU cable on the motherboard and plugged them again, but this time, just for a while, one of the leds turned on, but went off immediately. I removed the graphic card, the disks and the memories, and tried again, and happened exactly the same. One led turned on and off immediately. I assumed it was the PSU that wasn't sending enough power to the motherboard, but I tested it and seems to be working. I'm kinda starting to get worried for I can't figure out what's going on. Already did everything I could possibly do by myself.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Can try a Bios reset, but everything sounds like the PSU was slowly going bad.

List the make and the video card you are using. It might be that the PSU just wasn't up to the challenge or that the PSU just went bad. PSU's do go bad and they can go bad even from pretty good brands (though it is rarer). PSU's like a Diablotek? Those things can break all the time. Many of the PSU's are simply very cheap and not near what their rating claims.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Thanks a lot. I was really worried thinking it was the mobo that broke down. My PSU is a cheap one. 1000w Omega, but I'm attempting to get a Corsair hx750 soon, assuming I won't have to get another motherboard, and my graphic card is a Radeon HD 6770 Xfx. I'll try testing with a better PSU just to make sure is it, but just wonder: This motherboard comes with an additional internal SATA power connector to ensure the stability when multiple graphic cards are installed. I read the manual and didn't see that I shouldn't/couldn't use this even when only one graphic card is installed, so I did it, for there weren't any warning about it,and as my PSU wasn't the very best, I thought a few more power wouldn't affect it. Am I right? The motherboard doesn't seem to be damaged at all. 

Thanks a lot. I was really worried thinking it was the mobo that broke down. My PSU is a cheap one. 1000w Omega, but I'm attempting to get a Corsair hx750 soon, assuming I won't have to get another motherboard, and my graphic card is a Radeon HD 6770 Xfx. I'll try testing with a better PSU just to make sure is it, but just wonder: This motherboard comes with an additional internal SATA power connector to ensure the stability when multiple graphic cards are installed. I read the manual and didn't see that I shouldn't/couldn't use this even when only one graphic card is installed, so I did it, for there weren't any warning about it,and as my PSU wasn't the very best, I thought a few more power wouldn't affect it. Am I right? The motherboard doesn't seem to be damaged at all. 

For a 6770 XfX a cx600m would be more then fine by corsair. :)

The HX750 is an excellent power supply but a CX600m can support up to a r9 280 or a GTX 770 and even a 780ti with a Intel CPU as long as you aren't overclocking them heavily. 

The HX 750 is more of an SLI/2 card power supply. If you plan to go really big on 2 video cards later it might be worth it, but if you plan on having one card? Go with the CX600M.  

The next Nvidia series will use less power as well and I am thinking Mac will use the mobile chip for the IMAC, so the desktop chips will have compatibility like they do now.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

For a 6770 XfX a cx600m would be more then fine by corsair. :)

The HX750 is an excellent power supply but a CX600m can support up to a r9 280 or a GTX 770 and even a 780ti with a Intel CPU as long as you aren't overclocking them heavily. 

The HX 750 is more of an SLI/2 card power supply. If you plan to go really big on 2 video cards later it might be worth it, but if you plan on having one card? Go with the CX600M.  

The next Nvidia series will use less power as well and I am thinking Mac will use the mobile chip for the IMAC, so the desktop chips will have compatibility like they do now.

Oh well thanks. Yes, I'm planning to get a GTX760, perhaps two. I'm well aware of how big my PSU should be. I'll let you know when I try another PSU. 

Well I'm glad to say I solved my issue. It came out to be the Battery. I replaced it and the problem was gone. The PSU was ok thou. Everything went better than expected :)