cooling for a fractal design focus G

Entityy

So I'm getting a fractal design focus G because it's just about the only good airflow case that you can find around here that still has space for a DVD reader, which I unfortunately still need. My current case is some old case which is completely closed off except for the back. My xfx rx 580 8GB is literally dying there, to the point of reaching 89C and restarting the PC to avoid its death lol. Anyway, I want to get a mesh case to actually use my GPU, because I need a GPU, not a room heater.

specs:

CPU: i5-6500

GPU: xfx rx 580 8GB GTS XXX Black

PSU:750W

RAM: 2x4 hyperx fury 2400mhz

MOBO: Gigabyte Z270-HD3P

Now I have a few questions about this case's cooling. First of all, will the included 2x Fractal Silent LL Series 120mm fans be able to handle the intake properly? Second, I have some arctic exhaust fan in my case right now, bought it around 6 months ago so it's pretty new, can I keep that as an exhaust for the new case too? Also, is it worth it to add 1 or 2 top exhausts as well?

My only goal is to keep my rx580 at around 75C, not higher by any means, but lower is also welcome. Please give me some advice for cooling my new case :)

Here are the specs of the Fractal Silent LL Series fans that come with the case:

Size

120 x 120 x 25 mm

Fan Connector

3-pin

LED type

White / Blue / Red

Bearing

Sleeve

Number of blades

Rotational speed

1200 RPM

Noise level

24.8 dB (A)

Airflow (CFM)

Airflow (m3/h)

Static pressure

0.87 mm H2O

Fan input power

1.44 W

Fan max input current

0.16 A

Fan input voltage

12 V

Fan starting voltage

7 V

MTBF

>30,000 hours

Fan weight

96 g

Cable length

550 mm

A little off-topic but i also need a DVD-drive from time to time. I didn't let that impact my case decision, as there are plenty USB powered DVD-drives for 15$ or so that you can plug in when you need to. I got one for 15$ off amazon.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

17 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

A little off-topic but i also need a DVD-drive from time to time. I didn't let that impact my case decision, as there are plenty USB powered DVD-drives for 15$ or so that you can plug in when you need to. I got one for 15$ off amazon.

yeah but that would pretty much go off budget 

On 11/27/2020 at 11:26 AM, Entityy said:

will the included 2x Fractal Silent LL Series 120mm fans be able to handle the intake properly?

I would add a rear exhaust fan and then it should be fine.
If you have some budget, you could get 140 mm fans so you can transport more air with less noise.

On 11/27/2020 at 11:26 AM, Entityy said:

I have some arctic exhaust fan in my case right now, bought it around 6 months ago so it's pretty new, can I keep that as an exhaust for the new case too?

If they are 120 mm fans, yes.

My build:

CPU

Intel Core i7 9700 8x 3.00GHz So.1151

CPU cooler

be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

Motherboard

MSI B360-A PRO Intel B360 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX

RAM

16GB (4x 4096MB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2666

GPU

8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 3xDP/HDMI

SSD

500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

HDD

4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply

bequiet! Straight Power 750W Platinum

Case

Fractal Design Define R6
3x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM

6 minutes ago, suedseefrucht said:

I would add a rear exhaust fan and then it should be fine.
If you have some budget, you could get 140 mm fans so you can transport more air with less noise.

If they are 120 mm fans, yes.

I don't think the front of that case can fit 2x 140mm. What's your opinion on the included 120mm? Some reviews say that they move too little air

1 minute ago, Entityy said:

I don't think the front of that case can fit 2x 140mm

The website says, it can...
https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/focus/focus-g/black/

My build:

CPU

Intel Core i7 9700 8x 3.00GHz So.1151

CPU cooler

be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

Motherboard

MSI B360-A PRO Intel B360 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX

RAM

16GB (4x 4096MB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2666

GPU

8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 3xDP/HDMI

SSD

500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

HDD

4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply

bequiet! Straight Power 750W Platinum

Case

Fractal Design Define R6
3x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM

On 12/3/2020 at 1:17 AM, Entityy said:

oh well, I don't think I will replace the front ones anyway, only if you think that they are too weak to bring enough air to my gpu

If you get a 140mm, the front fan can be moved to the rear for exhaust. 

You can reuse your current exhaust fan in the new case. Test for load temps before deciding on whether or not to buy additional fans. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

12 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you get a 140mm, the front fan can be moved to the rear for exhaust. 

You can reuse your current exhaust fan in the new case. Test for load temps before deciding on whether or not to buy additional fans. 

Thanks. However I have decided that I'm not going to sacrifice airflow and all the good stuff that comes with a newer case only for the DVD bay, so I am getting a normal case after all.

4 hours ago, Entityy said:

Thanks. However I have decided that I'm not going to sacrifice airflow and all the good stuff that comes with a newer case only for the DVD bay, so I am getting a normal case after all.

I had the same kind of issue. So I bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07452Z3KH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

that way I didn't need to buy another drive, just use my existing Blu-ray drive. 

I bought a Lian Li Lancool II Performance case. 

My 2020 Upgrade: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600; MB: MSI X570 Tomohawk WiFi; Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600 MHz; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance; PSU: Corsair RM550X 80+ Gold; Storage: WD Blue 500GB SSD; Seagate 4TB Compute HDD; Monitor: GIGABYTE G34WQC 34" 144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, 3440 x 1440 VA 1500R Display

Previous Components Still Using: GPU: MSI GTX 1070 (bought Used); Storage: WD 3TB Green HDD,WD 1TB Black HDD, SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB

Previous Monitor I want to VESA mount: LG 29UB55-B 29" Ultrawide 1080p 60Hz IPS

12 hours ago, Entityy said:

The Focus G is a fairly normal case and has good options for airflow. The main sacrifices it makes over more premium cases isn't airflow but the build quality and included accessories. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.