This Shouldn't Work But It Does

Shittyjohncandy

Got into computers as a hobby 6 months ago.

I bought a HP Z600 (version 2 motherboard) with the intent to edit at 1080p. Well it was a little under powered so I wanted to upgrade some elements like an SSD, GPU CPU etc..

I thought 12 gb of ram was fine and it was OK. But recently I took apart the computer to clean and repaste the cpu (don't think its been changed since 2010).

First things: My config for ram was 6x2gb. When I took the ram out 2 sticks was ECC ram and 4 was 10600U ram (meant for regular computers). They all worked and i had 12 gbs. Unfortunately one of the modules decided to start failing when i put everything back together. It gives me a 203 and 209 error on DIMM 3 CPU0 when booted and I have to press F1 to boot. Then it says in computer properties 12 gb of ram but only 10 gb useable.

THIS IS THE PART THAT SHOULDN'T WORK BUT DOES.

My friend gave me 4 sticks of this Samsung ram https://www.techpowerup.com/review/samsung-mv-3v4g3/ 

SPEED RATING: DDR3-1600 (PC3 12800)
RATED TIMINGS: 11-11-11-28
CAPACITY: 8GB (4 GB x2)
TESTED VOLTAGE: 1.35 V
PCB TYPE: 6 Layers
REGISTERED/UNBUFFERED: Unbuffered
ERROR CHECKING: Non-ECC
FORM FACTOR: 240-pin DIMM
WARRANTY:

Lifetime

I plugged it into the correct 4 of the slots that do work (DIMM 1/2 on both cpu's) Dimm 3 on cpu 0 is the one broke.

And the works perfectly fine, fastest scrubs and playback in Davinci I have ever had. Shows all usable in windows (but it does show its speed at 1600 but in the BIOS it shows it at the max speed of the cpu 1333) why is that!?!?

But everywhere I read it says Non-ECC ram shouldn't work in this system!?

Why!?!?!