Build for a friend

Elfalot

I have a friend who is looking to game on PC more (PS4 for exclusives for now), they were looking at maybe getting a prebuilt (apparently got a lot of flack on FB when talking about it) the local JB HiFi have a few PCs on sale and she was wondering if they would be worth it, or if I would do it and be a better value.

This is a system she was looking at https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/msi-trident-as-10si-gaming-desktop-2-5tb-gtx-1660-super (another interesting one https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/asus-rog-strix-gl10dh-gaming-desktop) but I do wonder about the upgradability of these also value/performance (might only have 1 stick of ram for example so will take a minor performance hit).

This system from Scorptec for example https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/ready-to-run-pcs/gaming-pc/77081-ss-precision1660s looks comparable and more friendly.

Im mainly looking at these for simplicity, quick, 1 purchase, has warranty and all that.

Ive built my own PC's several times and would be well suited to build it (I mainly over think things, not always in a constructive way lol)

Budget (including currency): $2000 AUD (maybe push to 2500)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Borderlands 3, Witcher 3, RPG Style games (also 'Stray' but no idea about specs) otherwise basic stuff (email browsing etc) - no streaming, vr or editing

Other details My friend would like some upgradability for future (mainly CPU and GPU) No overclocking. Was aiming for 1440p possibly 100 FPS older or on High(ish) settings (not 'ultra')

This list is mainly a basic draft of what I thought could be comparable, Intel is fine just wasn't sure where the sweet spot would be, also some upgradability with the 5000 series in future.

The monitor was the first I picked really

The case just seemed like a good start

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($369.00 @ Mwave Australia) 
Motherboard: ASRock B550M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($146.30 @ Newegg Australia) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($145.00 @ Umart) 
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($80.30 @ Amazon Australia) 
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($63.00 @ JW Computers) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB GAMING X Video Card  ($399.00 @ Centre Com) 
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($107.09 @ Amazon Australia) 
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($159.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit  ($129.00 @ Amazon Australia) 
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor  ($449.00 @ Centre Com) 
Total: $2046.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-25 22:26 AEDT+1100

I might need to fix some things up later. I'm a bit distracted

At 1440p he will be GPU bound not CPU so you can go with a cheaper CPU and spend your money on better GPU. This would be my part choice for 1440p gaming with high refreshment monitor. I've also changed your case as NZXT are hot boxes with poor ventilation but there are many other options just pay attention to front panel not being closed off 

52 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

i'd go with this. it will beat all those prebuilts due to the much better gpu. also you can buy windows keys on ebay for cheap.

With the 3300X most listed sites are out of stock, including Device deal, next available is $259 at mightyape, is it still worth stepping down at that point from 3600X?

That Masterbox case only seems available from Amazon and newegg atm and shipping is $100+ for both sites so might need another option.

That In Win PSU is currently out of stock (will keep checking though)

11 minutes ago, LpoolTech said:

At 1440p he will be GPU bound not CPU so you can go with a cheaper CPU and spend your money on better GPU. This would be my part choice for 1440p gaming with high refreshment monitor. I've also changed your case as NZXT are hot boxes with poor ventilation but there are many other options just pay attention to front panel not being closed off 

Seems like a good setup will give the case a look. I'm personally not sure about going AMD for graphics over driver concerns but if there managing it sounds like a good choice, not sure if she's had any other suggestions about going Nvidia (worth going 2060/2070 super?). Also the G.skill ram had RGB (wrong speed though oops) not sure she will be too worried if its not there though.

14 minutes ago, Elfalot said:

With the 3300X most listed sites are out of stock, including Device deal, next available is $259 at mightyape, is it still worth stepping down at that point from 3600X?

go for 3600 non-x then

some case options:

32 minutes ago, Elfalot said:

Seems like a good setup will give the case a look. I'm personally not sure about going AMD for graphics over driver concerns but if there managing it sounds like a good choice, not sure if she's had any other suggestions about going Nvidia (worth going 2060/2070 super?). Also the G.skill ram had RGB (wrong speed though oops) not sure she will be too worried if its not there though.

Apparently AMD solved most of issues with drivers but if you prefer nvidia I completely understand 2060super would be around 15% slower then rx5700xt. 2070 would be few frames better or equal in most games at practically same price and 2070s would be min 150$ more and maybe 5% quicker. If price is important I would go with 2070 non super. As for the 4 cores 3300x as you said it's a unicorn no-one can find it in stock and 6 cores would be my preference. I didn't pay attention to RGB I went after best price to performance ration 3600 cl 16 will give you extra CPU performance and it will work much better with 5000 series CPU's if she decide to upgrade in a year or two. If she has spare budget and would like some bling then you could find ram with similar spec and RGB (it will cost you though) or simply buy set of fans with controller to make it shine https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001378251614.html?channel=twinner