Secondary Plex + Docker server

Thom_0203

Hey!

I have been running a 3x 2TB with 250gb cached Unraid server for some time now, and have been taking advantage of father's fiber connection (500mbit up/down). (Unfortunately ;) ) he is moving to a different place which has 22 mbit down and 2 mbit upload... And I dont see myself streaming 4K over to my place while three people are working from that house.

I am therefor looking to provide a solution for myself to keep the redundant server with him, and have an essentials server for myself, but I can decide which OS to use and how I should set it up. I started off by buying a Dell Optiplex 3040 micro with a i3 6100t and 8GB of ram. Ill be throwing a 500GB 2,5" SSD into it and might add a cheap used external 2TB drive to it later (redundancy doesnt matter a lot for this mass storage, I will only have stuff on it thats already on the main one).

So im looking to make sure I have access to the following dockers I have running:

- Bitwarden

- Plex Media server (wouldnt have to be in a docker depending on the OS)

- DelugeVPN

- Unifi controller

- (Maybe) Home Assistant

The ill be copying a part of our plex library to this second system to allow myself to stream at my place, and also others to stream anywhere aswell.

So to get to the point: what solution should I use for the OS? Unraid is a great piece of software but it seems kinda overkill for a system which will have no redundancy (although i might add a m.2 ssd later to provide atleast some redundancy of e.g. my dockers). I was thinking of just running Ubuntu server, set up a Plex server and Docker and be done with it. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

And to show you the board: it has a m.2 slot and a sata connection.

afbeelding.png.c50cac87178064414a658e73f67b7f9f.png

Main system: Ryzen 3700x - 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz - RX 5600 XT - 500GB NVMe - 480GB SATA SSD - Gigabyte B450 I aorus pro wifi - Noctua NH-U9S - NZXT H200i - (MacOS, Windows, Pop! OS)

Laptop: Surface laptop 3 - i5-1035G7 - 8GB DDR4 - 256GB NVMe

Server(/NAS): Ryzen 2200G - 32GB DDR4 2133Mhz - 3x 2TB WD RED - 250GB SATA SSD - (Unraid)

Phone: Oneplus 7 Pro

Audio: Sony WH1000XM3 - Logitech Z906

Debian/Ubuntu is a good shout. Slap in SnapRAID if you want to do unRAID things in the future (disclaimer, I've not used SnapRAID, but it's supposed to be awesome). 

R.E.V.O.

Realise       Every       Victory      Outright

My Plex server runs on ubuntu desktop version. Works fine. Never has any issues. Works better than when I had Plex installed on Windows. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.