New Build ($4,000)

Broth3rz

So I'm in need of a new PC build. This will NOT be for gaming. This WILL be for music composition with Kontakt, Cubase, and sample libraries. My goal with this build is to get something awesome but also to future-proof some so I won't have to make a purchase for a long while. Of course I know this build is already out-dated with how hardware is released.

NOTES:

• I already have the Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070, it was just shipped, I went with that one because its all I could get. Plus I like that it has better cooling and 6 ports on the back which will future-proof me on adding more then 1 display at a later date.
  • I also already have the keyboard, speakers and mouse.
  • I do have an order for the Ryzen 5800 and 5900, waiting for ship date to change on 5900, then will cancel the 5800, but my goal is the 5950x if I can get one this week.
  • I already have the WD Black 4TB HHD, using it now.
  • I did go with 3600mhz on the RAM as I heard it much better with Ryzen 5000 series CPUs. This true?
  • Why does Ryzen always say 3200mhz on RAM but you can run higher?
  • The 5950x is $800 and the RTZ 3070 is $650 so that's $1,450 added on top of PCPP.

The Samsung 980 will be top slot, connected directly to CPU for speed and it will have my MAIN libraries on it, the middle is just for more SSD speed / space, and the PNY is for Windows and software installs. I will upgrade to the 980 2TB when it comes out.

CONCERNS:

• Is 850W enough for this build? I hear that the new 3000 series may have a spike and ping the PSU to shut off. Not sure why it occurs, but kinda worries, but need to have the $50 from not going with the 1000W, unless I really need to?
  • The WD Black HHD I'm using for the new build seems to be... weird? 7,200 RPM just seems slow, I guess compaired to my SSD it is, but if I don't touch any files that are on it, it seems to like go to sleep and when I go to select file or open a folder it takes, 5-10 seconds, makes some noise and then loads and works fine. Not sure if this is just how HHD's are or why it goes idle like that.
  • The bottom 2 m.2 slots on this motherboard apparently go through the chipset to the CPU instead of directly to the CPU, how much of a speed lose will I see verses having them in the top slot?
  • The Samsung Odyssey G7 on the list is actually the G5, just did a price override since I could the G5 on PCPP.
  • I really don't want to have to sell RAM and buy new in the future so I went 128GB which will be used with these libraries, 1 instrument could be 4GB alone. But I also could go 64GB on the RAM and just down to 16 on the latency, how much difference is there from going from 18 to 16 on latency, is it noticeable? Think I should try that and return if I need more?

I guess that's about it, please let me know if you have any other recommendations or see any problems. I know PCPP is showing a few things at the bottom, I'll have to Q-Flash the BIOS and 2 SATA spots are disabled, which I won't use anyways. Then the last issue it lists I"m sure I'll be good since I'm getting a full ATX case.

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Broth3rz said:

So I'm in need of a new PC build. This will NOT be for gaming. This WILL be for music composition with Kontakt, Cubase, and sample libraries. My goal with this build is to get something awesome but also to future-proof some so I won't have to make a purchase for a long while. Of course I know this build is already out-dated with how hardware is released.

Here is the PCPartPicker list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/d3DNp2

NOTES:

• I already have the Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070, it was just shipped, I went with that one because its all I could get. Plus I like that it has better cooling and 6 ports on the back which will future-proof me on adding more then 1 display at a later date.
  • I do have an order for the Ryzen 5800 and 5900, waiting for ship date to change on 5900, then will cancel the 5800, but my goal is the 5950x if I can get one this week.
  • I did go with 3600mhz on the RAM as I heard it much better with Ryzen 5000 series CPUs. This true?
  • The 5950x is $800 and the RTZ 3070 is $650 so that's $1,450 added on top of PCPP.

The Samsung 980 will be top slot, connected directly to CPU for speed and it will have my MAIN libraries on it, the middle is just for more SSD speed / space, and the PNY is for Windows and software installs. I will upgrade to the 980 2TB when it comes out.

CONCERNS:

• Is 850W enough for this build? I hear that the new 3000 series may have a spike and ping the PSU to shut off. Not sure why it occurs, but kinda worries, but need to have the $50 from not going with the 1000W, unless I really need to?
  • The WD Black HHD I'm using for the new build seems to be... weird? 7,200 RPM just seems slow, I guess compaired to my SSD it is, but if I don't touch any files that are on it, it seems to like go to sleep and when I go to select file or open a folder it takes, 5-10 seconds, makes some noise and then loads and works fine. Not sure if this is just how HHD's are or why it goes idle like that.
  • The bottom 2 m.2 slots on this motherboard apparently go through the chipset to the CPU instead of directly to the CPU, how much of a speed lose will I see verses having them in the top slot?
  • The Samsung Odyssey G7 on the list is actually the G5, just did a price override since I could the G5 on PCPP.
  • I really don't want to have to sell RAM and buy new in the future so I went 128GB which will be used with these libraries, 1 instrument could be 4GB alone. But I also could go 64GB on the RAM and just down to 16 on the latency, how much difference is there from going from 18 to 16 on latency, is it noticeable? Think I should try that and return if I need more?

I guess that's about it, please let me know if you have any other recommendations or see any problems. I know PCPP is showing a few things at the bottom, I'll have to Q-Flash the BIOS and 2 SATA spots are disabled, which I won't use anyways. Then the last issue it lists I"m sure I'll be good since I'm getting a full ATX case.

TOTAL = $3,764 ... ish. Then the rest is shipping and tax.

Thanks!

5950x is a bit too much, but I won't stop you, I want one too

I cannot open the list, it cannot be found

get an rm850x and you'll be fine,

The storage is enough

it would be gen 3 instead of gen 4 if you use the bottom m.2

the g5 is great no need for 240hz, good call

here is good ram: too overpriced but perfect, you can drop it to 3600 cl16 if you find stability issues

3600 cl18 is bad don't get it

what case do you want

btw this is a full out build

23 minutes ago, Broth3rz said:

Here is the PCPartPicker list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/d3DNp2

NOTES:

CONCERNS:

TOTAL = $3,764 ... ish. Then the rest is shipping and tax.

Thanks!

From your notes:

1. Ryzen as a standard encourages you to run 3200Mhz as it gives the baseline performance metric.Anything above is consider an OC, but most modern boards have xmp profiles for it no problem. Nothing too big!

For your concerns:

1. 850W is more than enough, don't be startled. What matters is how much current you can pull out from your 12V rail since this is where your GPU pulls power from, so may want to check the vendor's specifications for that.

2. Use your HDD for mass storage of already completed work while you use your SSD's for scratch disk/ongoing projects. HDD makes noise because of the mechanical parts which is normal, but otherwise nothing to fret about.

3. Unless you're running PCIE Gen 4.0, it won't really matter. Besides, NVME usually takes chipset lanes, anyway.

4. May want to hit up amazon/ local e-tailer for the specific make

5. CL18 to CL16 isn't too big of a notice unless you're in games, in which CAS latency can make performance different.

Overall build seems pretty good, although quite overkill. But I assume you already have your other equipment/software on hand already, this is more than plenty to last you a long time. Good luck!

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X @4.3Ghz All-Core with Stock Cooler

Motherboard: Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming 4

RAM: Patriot Viper 32GB DDR4 RAM @3000Mhz

GPU: MSI Ventus RTX 2080 Super 8GB

PSU: Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Storage 1: Phison 500 GB NVME SSD

Storage 2: WD Blue 1TB NVME SSD

Case: Inwin 146 ATX Case

Peripherals

Mouse: Logitech G Pro X Superlight

Keyboard: Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition

Headset: Drop x Sennheiser PC38x

Monitor 1: LG 27GL850-B 1440p @144hz Nano-IPS Monitor

Monitor 2: Asus VG248Q 1080p @144hz Gaming Monitor

Monitor 3: Asus VG259Q 1080p @144hz IPS Gaming Monitor

Please refer back to the link, I also added an image if the link doesn't work.

On second thought, I need a new PC case, so I'll start looking for that. I was unable to get CL16 with 32GB sticks. I only saw CL18. I'll look again.

When you both say Gen 3 and 4, youir talking about using PCIE SSD cards right? Not M.2?

I don't mind the HDD noise, it's that it like goes to sleep if I don't use it for awhile then take 10 seconds to wake up.

1 minute ago, Broth3rz said:

On second thought, I need a new PC case, so I'll start looking for that. I was unable to get CL16 with 32GB sticks. I only saw CL18. I'll look again.

When you both say Gen 3 and 4, youir talking about using PCIE SSD cards right? Not M.2?

I don't mind the HDD noise, it's that it like goes to sleep if I don't use it for awhile then take 10 seconds to wake up.

PCIE Gen 4 is just a PCIE generation standard. Similarly, M.2 is just a form factor. Whether or not the drive is made for PCIE Gen 4.0 or not should be noted in the SSD's quick specifications. But since they're both NVME, at the very least they're PCIE 3.0 compliant.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X @4.3Ghz All-Core with Stock Cooler

Motherboard: Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming 4

RAM: Patriot Viper 32GB DDR4 RAM @3000Mhz

GPU: MSI Ventus RTX 2080 Super 8GB

PSU: Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Storage 1: Phison 500 GB NVME SSD

Storage 2: WD Blue 1TB NVME SSD

Case: Inwin 146 ATX Case

Peripherals

Mouse: Logitech G Pro X Superlight

Keyboard: Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition

Headset: Drop x Sennheiser PC38x

Monitor 1: LG 27GL850-B 1440p @144hz Nano-IPS Monitor

Monitor 2: Asus VG248Q 1080p @144hz Gaming Monitor

Monitor 3: Asus VG259Q 1080p @144hz IPS Gaming Monitor

The list should be fully visible now. I did switch out my Samsung 980 for the Western Digital Black SN850 2 TB as it comes out next week, its PCIe 4, little faster then the Samsung 980 and is 2 TB! 

Trying to find new case and lower CL RAM. Anyone have anything else to say?

Also I hear that the Dark Hero motherboard is the best right now, should I switch mine out for that IF I can even get it?

22 minutes ago, Broth3rz said:

When you both say Gen 3 and 4, your talking about using PCIE SSD cards right? Not M.2?

I meant the m.2, gen 3 is the bottom 2, gen 4 is the top 2, use the top gen 4 because they are much faster

4 minutes ago, Broth3rz said:

The list should be fully visible now. I did switch out my Samsung 980 for the Western Digital Black SN850 2 TB as it comes out next week, its PCIe 4, little faster then the Samsung 980 and is 2 TB! 

Trying to find new case and lower CL RAM. Anyone have anything else to say?

Also I hear that the Dark Hero motherboard is the best right now, should I switch mine out for that IF I can even get it?

edit, nvm

Just now, Ankh Tech said:

why is the aio so overpriced, and why is the 5950x for 150 dollars

That cooler is $150 and the 5950x doesn't have a price listed.

I updated it with prices, I can't find 128GB with CL16, only 18. It's because of the 32GB sticks. I could go down to 64GB CL16 and then sell those later when 32GB sticks are CL16.

get a x570 unify, it's better, oh and an rm850x is better

1 minute ago, Broth3rz said:

I updated it with prices, I can't find 128GB with CL16, only 18. It's because of the 32GB sticks. I could go down to 64GB CL16 and then sell those later when 32GB sticks are CL16.

3600 cl16 is the same in performance as 4000 cl18, get that ram I listed you: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/rvCFf7/corsair-vengeance-rgb-pro-128-gb-4-x-32-gb-ddr4-4000-cl18-memory-cmw128gx4m4x4000c18

1 minute ago, Ankh Tech said:

3600 cl16 is the same in performance as 4000 cl18, get that ram I listed you

checking it out now.

Just now, Broth3rz said:

you never linked any.

sorry edited it, I don't know what's i my mind

So I can go with this, cl16 3600mhz for 640$: https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-64gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820374061?Item=N82E16820374061&quicklink=true

or 

this cl18 4000mhz for 600$: https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-64gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820374049?Item=N82E16820374049&quicklink=true

so performance wise they should be the same? the 4000mhz is higher but lower latency..

Seems like i should do the 4000mhz and save 40$?

but would i have issues running the ram at that speed with my 5900x? would i have FCLK issues?

36 minutes ago, Broth3rz said:

So I can go with this, cl16 3600mhz for 640$: https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-64gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820374061?Item=N82E16820374061&quicklink=true

or 

this cl18 4000mhz for 600$: https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-64gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820374049?Item=N82E16820374049&quicklink=true

so performance wise they should be the same? the 4000mhz is higher but lower latency..

but would i have issues running the ram at that speed with my 5900x? would i have FCLK issues?

can anyone help me with this, im waiting to buy everything .. this is my only question... thnx

1 hour ago, Broth3rz said:

or 

42 minutes ago, Broth3rz said:

can anyone help me with this, im waiting to buy everything .. this is my only question... thnx

im leaning towards the 4000mhz just to save the 40$ but if im going to have issues getting things to run correctly... should I go with the other? im doing 5900x ryzen ...

Well, if I do the 3200 then I can get the latency down to 14 if i dont go rgb, wouldn't that make up for the difference from not doing 4000? or 3600? I just dont want problems after installing.

i will also be doing 4k+ editing, etc.