Need help on radiator position

DeCharles

Hi guys,

I'm thinking on putting an AIO with a 2 fan radiator and I'm thinking on where to put it on my case. I've read several posts and saw many videos and I think they all agree that the ideal position is on top with the tubes down or in the front with the tubes down and the pump lower than the top of the radiator.

the thing is that in my case I don't have enough space on top, and on the front the only way I see it possible to put it is with the tubes up.

This is a capture of my case (not my actual one, but from a review online of it)

image.thumb.png.d591995012c2735ceab52219bc114ecb.png

There are no mounts higher than that, and as you see, there's no room to even put the tubes down.

My question is, how bad is this? should I consider changing my case to a better one?

Thanks in advance to all.

May i ask what case you have, and why it doesn't fit up top? And what aio are you thinking of?

3 minutes ago, DeCharles said:

Hi guys,

I'm thinking on putting an AIO with a 2 fan radiator and I'm thinking on where to put it on my case. I've read several posts and saw many videos and I think they all agree that the ideal position is on top with the tubes down or in the front with the tubes down and the pump lower than the top of the radiator.

the thing is that in my case I don't have enough space on top, and on the front the only way I see it possible to put it is with the tubes up.

This is a capture of my case (not my actual one, but from a review online of it)

There are no mounts higher than that, and as you see, there's no room to even put the tubes down.

My question is, how bad is this? should I consider changing my case to a better one?

Thanks in advance to all.

I’m no expert on this stuff, but I’m pretty sure that putting it like that can cause bubbles, which makes it louder and reduces the lifespan.

1 minute ago, ZonalThrone said:

I’m no expert on this stuff, but I’m pretty sure that putting it like that can cause bubbles, which makes it louder and reduces the lifespan.

Yeah, it COULD be fine, but not if you ask tech jesus himself, he is dead set on NOT having tubes up. He has a new video on it you should watch.

6 minutes ago, MrJrCookie said:

May i ask what case you have, and why it doesn't fit up top? And what aio are you thinking of?

The case is lnz lz40 and I'm thinking on a corsair iCUE H100i RGB Pro XT, 240mm Radiator, Dual 120mm

6 minutes ago, MrJrCookie said:

much better for gpu if you run it top as exhaust. my gtx 1080 ti is totally choking on the intake config of my cpu AIO, thats why i am going to get a new case with my cpu upgrade to run it as exhaust

1 minute ago, YSL_know_plug said:

much better for gpu if you run it top as exhaust. my gtx 1080 ti is totally choking on the intake config of my cpu AIO, thats why i am going to get a new case with my cpu upgrade to run it as exhaust

Yes sir

2 minutes ago, DeCharles said:

The case is lnz lz40 and I'm thinking on a corsair iCUE H100i RGB Pro XT, 240mm Radiator, Dual 120mm

But why doesn't it fit up top? I don't understand any of the websites it's sold on...

10 minutes ago, MrJrCookie said:

But why doesn't it fit up top? I don't understand any of the websites it's sold on...

Sorry for the crappy image

image.thumb.png.47cda73726cadbb02114b49d190490f6.png

As you can see, with only an exhaust fan I'm reaching the limit to where the motherboard starts. There's no room to sum the radiator thickness

2 hours ago, DeCharles said:

As you can see, with only an exhaust fan I'm reaching the limit to where the motherboard starts. There's no room to sum the radiator thickness

Ah i see, i mean, tubes up CAN work, but it can also fail hard, do you NEED an AIO, what are your temps?

On 11/24/2020 at 2:35 PM, MrJrCookie said:

Ah i see, i mean, tubes up CAN work, but it can also fail hard, do you NEED an AIO, what are your temps?

I'm having about 85° while gaming, no OC

I have another question, let's say you have a case with two frontal fans, and a place on top to put either a radiator or 2 more fans (that I already have). Would you put the raidator on top and don't use those fans (or maybe 1 can be added on front) or make a push pull config using the 2 fans of the aio with the 2 frontal and put the 2 that I already have on top?

20 hours ago, DeCharles said:

I'm having about 85° while gaming, no OC

I have another question, let's say you have a case with two frontal fans, and a place on top to put either a radiator or 2 more fans (that I already have). Would you put the raidator on top and don't use those fans (or maybe 1 can be added on front) or make a push pull config using the 2 fans of the aio with the 2 frontal and put the 2 that I already have on top?

Wait, so you can fit an AIO but withou the fans? Am i understanding you right?

On 11/26/2020 at 11:24 AM, MrJrCookie said:

I guess so. The case seems to be designed to have only fans on top, but the width of a radiator without the fans should be the same. There's also space for 2 120mm in the front, but with the tubes on top and lower than the pump.

It's a pretty cheap case :S

On 11/26/2020 at 11:24 AM, MrJrCookie said:

by the way, the question you replied was rather hypothetical. I'm thinking on upgrading to a better case, and I'm thinking wether is better to have an aio with push/pull on the front or just push fans on top and leave the front fans on the case as intake

Can you change the pump orientation so that the hoses come in from below. Based on the posted picture this should reduce the chance of an air bubble getting into the pump. The only issue then might be a large enough bubble that blocks the hose. An unlikely outcome.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

3 hours ago, brob said:

Can you change the pump orientation so that the hoses come in from below. Based on the posted picture this should reduce the chance of an air bubble getting into the pump. The only issue then might be a large enough bubble that blocks the hose. An unlikely outcome.

No, it's not possible.

As show in my first post, the basement where the psu and hdd are stored don't leave any room for the hoses

On 11/27/2020 at 4:34 PM, DeCharles said:

I guess so. The case seems to be designed to have only fans on top, but the width of a radiator without the fans should be the same. There's also space for 2 120mm in the front, but with the tubes on top and lower than the pump.

It's a pretty cheap case :S

Can you fit the rad where the upper fans are, and then fans on the outside? How is the case on the top?

8 hours ago, MrJrCookie said:

Can you fit the rad where the upper fans are, and then fans on the outside? How is the case on the top?

yes, that would be possible, but the fans would be exposed. Not a bad solution though

18 hours ago, DeCharles said:

yes, that would be possible, but the fans would be exposed. Not a bad solution though

Yeah, that's the best i could think of, but obuisly not the best. But could work.

21 hours ago, DeCharles said:

Bit imma be honest, it won't kill you to do front mount with tubes up, it's a chance, but a really slim one..

BUT if you do this, I will have no responsivility, (But it's almost definetely gonna be fine).

On 11/27/2020 at 1:59 PM, DeCharles said:

No, it's not possible.

As show in my first post, the basement where the psu and hdd are stored don't leave any room for the hoses

I think you misunderstood my suggestion. I am not suggesting that the radiator be moved. I am suggesting based on the picture, that the pump, (the unit attached to the cpu), be rotated 180 degrees i.e. the hoses would enter the pump unit from the side closest to the gpu. This would put the top of the radiator above the pump intake preventing any air bubbles getting into the pump.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.