Basic Mac mini vs iMac 2017

MaxingerZ

Hi guys I need some advice here, I already have a iMac core i5 2017 3.5ghz that i bought on 2017 for $2000 i am about to move and don't have enough space for my iMac and I am not sure if I should keep it or just get the basic Mac mini M1 for free trading in my i Mac. I use my computer for video and photo editing and sometimes for coding. Any advice is appreciated, thanks 😊.

Well the way you phrased the question makes it pretty cut and dry, don't you think?

You either keep an iMac that you do not have enough space for and thus can't really use.

or

You trade it for a Mac Mini.

I am not sure why you don't think you have room for an iMac though, if you think you will have room for a Mac Mini with a separate monitor. Don't they take up roughly the same amount of space?

I am moving to a small apartment, and I was thinking of using my mac mini with my Tv, i guess my other option is to sell my iMac and just get a laptop

12 minutes ago, MaxingerZ said:

I am moving to a small apartment, and I was thinking of using my mac mini with my Tv, i guess my other option is to sell my iMac and just get a laptop

iMac has an awesome display for editing too. Consider an ipad as well. Even thou I m away from apple products, a windows laptop can't use final cut pro, if that is your preferred program.

Just now, MaxingerZ said:

Okay that makes sense.

In that case I don't really think you have that many options. There is no point in keeping the iMac either way if you won't have room for it.

Using the Mac Mini with the TV sounds like a decent option, but please bear in mind that using a keyboard and mouse from your couch might be a pain in the ass. 

-> Moved to Laptops and Pre-Built Systems

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I'd avoid using a TV for editing work at all costs, they're nowhere remotely close to color accurate. I'd just spend the extra $200 and get a MacBook Air so you have an accurate display.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20