Need help with windows.

Mata14

Hi i just installed fresh windows on an ssd. The ssd i added to the computer has an old hard drive with windows on it too. I would like to transfer all the icons and driv V like that on to the ssd it 120gb and the hard drive is 1tb 

Huh..? I am totally confused as to what you are trying to do.🤔

Can you explain a little better?

20 minutes ago, The_Geek said:

Huh..? I am totally confused as to what you are trying to do.🤔

Can you explain a little better?

Right now i have in my computer one ssd and one hard drive. Both have windows installed on them. I boot to the ssd but all my aplications and icons are on the hard drive and i would like to have all the icons on the destktop. (The ssd windows is freshe, the hard drive is old i was using it till now)

38 minutes ago, Mata14 said:

i would like to have all the icons on the destktop

Thats a bit of a loaded question. 
Icons are just that, icons. They dont do anything on their own.
Most of the time to "restore" an icon, you reinstall the program. Or back up and then restore.
Depending on what the icon was for, sometimes you can just move things over. But thats not always an option.

If they are just icons pointing to websites or something like that though, you can copy them over and they will work.

Again, it all depends on what the icon is for, and you didnt specify past "icons".
You will have to clarify a bit more on what the icons are.

Ultimately you should be able to browse to the old desktop folder to get to them.

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

There are a couple things to consider here. 

1. Is the previous hard drive an upgrade from a previous version of windows? If so, you're better off installing windows 10 from scratch on your SSD because when you upgrade to windows 10, it runs compatibility drivers instead of the new drivers you would get from a fresh install. 

2. If not, you can image the OS onto the SSD but you have to make sure that the HDD image is not over the SSD storage amount otherwise it will not image. You can image it by using Veeam free version and creating a full backup. Then you would restore on the SSD. 

3. Are both OS on both disks the same? 

4. If all else fails, I would suggest just using robocopy to migrate the user profile over to the new OS. You can also use programs to make a profile backup and then assign that profile backup using profwiz (google this, it's a free profile migration tool) 

5. If all options I've suggested fail, then you will need to manually transfer / install everything. After doing this, I would suggest formatting the HDD to use as a storage drive and keep all your programs / games on that HDD rather than the SSD as it will fill up the SSD quite fast. You can also purchase another SSD and configure it into RAID 0 to allow for double the speeds and more storage space under your primary partition.

Hope this helps. 

48 minutes ago, Xenexo said:

There are a couple things to consider here. 

1. Is the previous hard drive an upgrade from a previous version of windows? If so, you're better off installing windows 10 from scratch on your SSD because when you upgrade to windows 10, it runs compatibility drivers instead of the new drivers you would get from a fresh install. 

2. If not, you can image the OS onto the SSD but you have to make sure that the HDD image is not over the SSD storage amount otherwise it will not image. You can image it by using Veeam free version and creating a full backup. Then you would restore on the SSD. 

3. Are both OS on both disks the same? 

4. If all else fails, I would suggest just using robocopy to migrate the user profile over to the new OS. You can also use programs to make a profile backup and then assign that profile backup using profwiz (google this, it's a free profile migration tool) 

5. If all options I've suggested fail, then you will need to manually transfer / install everything. After doing this, I would suggest formatting the HDD to use as a storage drive and keep all your programs / games on that HDD rather than the SSD as it will fill up the SSD quite fast. You can also purchase another SSD and configure it into RAID 0 to allow for double the speeds and more storage space under your primary partition.

Hope this helps. 

Thanks for the help❤ and one last question when i boot the pc it always asks me if i want to boot the windows on the ssd or on the hdd. I couldn't find anything in the bios that would make this go away.

3 hours ago, Mata14 said:

when i boot the pc it always asks me if i want to boot the windows on the ssd or on the hdd

Its not a bios setting. When windows starts to boot, the bios has handed off control to the OS.

Go into msconfig and the boot tab.

You should see something like the screenshot below, but you likely have two lines.

One is the OS on the SSD, one is on the HDD.

If you never want to boot to the HDD again, delete the line for the OS on the HDD.

I highly advise you to printscreen and then print out exactly what it says before you make changes.

Or take a pic with a cell or whatever.

That way if you delete the wrong one, you have the information you need to fix it.

If you want to maintain the ability to maybe someday boot to the HDD, rather than deleting the line for the HDD boot, you could also change the timeout to 1 second instead of 30.

That way its still an option, but it would disappear pretty quickly during boot. 

image.png.28a7c708479464e0ea304897dfa0fba7.png

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

11 hours ago, cr8tor said:

Its not a bios setting. When windows starts to boot, the bios has handed off control to the OS.

Go into msconfig and the boot tab.

You should see something like the screenshot below, but you likely have two lines.

One is the OS on the SSD, one is on the HDD.

If you never want to boot to the HDD again, delete the line for the OS on the HDD.

I highly advise you to printscreen and then print out exactly what it says before you make changes.

Or take a pic with a cell or whatever.

That way if you delete the wrong one, you have the information you need to fix it.

If you want to maintain the ability to maybe someday boot to the HDD, rather than deleting the line for the HDD boot, you could also change the timeout to 1 second instead of 30.

That way its still an option, but it would disappear pretty quickly during boot. 

image.png.28a7c708479464e0ea304897dfa0fba7.png

I probably want to keep the other windows so the second option is the best but the minimum is 3 seconds. 

5 hours ago, Mata14 said:

the minimum is 3 seconds

No kidding. I haven't actually used this setting in forever to be honest.

If you dont want the 3 second wait, remove the line but note it down somewhere and re-add it later if you want to boot to that OS?

Family machines