+12V and +12Vcpu

Latvian Video
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

probably just a weird way of labeling a dual rail psu.

yup you can use 12a on both of those rails at once, as long as you stay under the other limits.

I'm looking at a old psu I have, and wondering what are these... Can the 4pin cpu connector draw up to 12.5A? And the other 12V is also drawing maximum of 12A? PSU Label

yup you can use 12a on both of those rails at once, as long as you stay under the other limits.

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Nice, I already was doubting this psu that it won't have enough in it to run my system, but after these good news, I will have a upgrade path to a 75w gpu (It doesn't have any connectors for a gpu)

4 minutes ago, Latvian Video said:

Nice, I already was doubting this psu that it won't have enough in it to run my system, but after these good news, I will have a upgrade path to a 75w gpu (It doesn't have any connectors for a gpu)

IDK what system this came in, but id still be a bit worried about adding a gpu, seems like a older unit, and depending on what else you have in the system thats cutting it pretty close.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

IDK what system this came in, but id still be a bit worried about adding a gpu, seems like a older unit, and depending on what else you have in the system thats cutting it pretty close.

Yeah, I can't remember what it came out of, but I will be running a AMD athlon x4 860k and a gt710, so it has enough power for that. Now the main worry is it blowing. Technically it has enough power for a 75w gpu (Limited by the pci-e slot)

4 hours ago, Latvian Video said:

Yeah, I can't remember what it came out of, but I will be running a AMD athlon x4 860k and a gt710, so it has enough power for that. Now the main worry is it blowing. Technically it has enough power for a 75w gpu (Limited by the pci-e slot)

Yea it will run that setup fine, but also that gpu is awful, like the igpu(that was disabled on those chips) is much better. Relly try to find something used if you care about performance. 

The other worry with those older psus is failure and other weird issues.

Im not that great at typing and dislextic like a drunk toad so bare with me and my bad grammar.

But i want to spit a few things about old psu's and psu's under strain. (psu = power supply unit)

That psu is past its Good date for a record time.

PSU's degrade over time, and requirements go up.. together they will make a psu fail at some point. the thing is how. if it fails badly it can take your whole system with it. (ive lost a 64 x2 6000+ this way)

realy depends what protections its packing. surge, thermal, short etc etc
i wouldnt cut costs on a PSU, Good psu is important for stability and reliability.. and for something going wrong in a safe manner. bad psu can couse all sort of havoc even damage/destroy crap

You have a old amd.. they tend to drain the 12v quite heavy and you probably have exhausted its MTBF (main time be4 failure) witch is like 60k-100k hours

24 amp is quite low modern wise. 60 amps is like common these days

Yes it prolly will boot but for how long and what stability.
i swap out my PSU every 4 years or so, sometimes re purposing it in a less demanding less critical setup. i estimate your psu is much older then that, perhaps even ancient

there basily no bad basic psu's these days unless you bought it from aliexpress.
but the top brands all have good enough quality and protection and worth it beyond the 4y mark. for non server hp parts at that age.. i wouldn't put much faith in it.
but everyone has its preferences and brands they swear by but trust me hp doesnt make great consumer psu's.. server psu is a whole other matter but they dont fit without a hacksaw and bruteforce into a atx case

Yours specifies 160 watts per rail witch is 13.3 amp's @ 12v and 320watts for the entire thing, loading the two rails would stress out everything here..deplete the entire 320 watts.

and its age prolly knocked off a quite few watts aswell with age.(degrading caps specifically cause this)
at 24 amp that psu prolly will start making funny noises like a buzzing sound or even a wissle and reach toasty temps. maybe catch fire some day (seriously depends on how cheep it actually is and ive not got much faith in that consumer Hp stuff..)

fact its being loaded in this manner makes its stability worse introducing a ripple noise and voltage drops that arnt great for high mhz ic's, and capacitors dont like it either

Its might run ok now. but i think its a matter of time till something gives, but again it can take a nother 10y.. or burn down your house tomorrow

connecting a phone to usb to charge it might just be tomuch and start trowin BSOD's (blue screen of death)

the older a capacitor the faster it degrades. capacitors degrade by age and use(and abuse like a ripple or surge) and also climate like temp and humidity. and the rate they do it depends on type and quality, the point is.. its a ever steep getting curve of doom, and are the most likely suspects in any given circuit that's more than 5 years old; particularly if the circuit is unused for extended periods of time... all parts should have a white paper with tech details about its decay rate, and the thing is well enough documented to find in google to get to the science behind it.but a lil out of scope for now. and your warned it includes some funky math on factors how its used and you mostly need to gues/reverse engineer this from the circuit itself.... just google "capacitor decay" and prepare for headache

so, about a 100wats for the cpu. nother 100w for gpu, 50w or so for mobo.. 80w or so per running hdd.. i say your pushing your luck taking in mind you max loading a verry old PSU to near/over its maximum

ive not even counted fans or optical drives etc you will need near 550watts assuming you dont have a giant ass disk array or nonsense extra in there.

am3(+) socket needs 450-550 watts todo alright, 750 be even better with heavy cards in there like a radeon.

(might be wrong about the socket of a 64 X4 but the 64 X2 whas am3, and it whas near 125w tdp similair to fx8350 )

i even seen cases of stuff overheating becouse it didnt get enough juice. how exactly this works ive got no clue but it happens to cards  like the radeon gpu's, might have todo with the ripple,

fresh psu sure will give a much bigger chance in it making it a nother 4-5 years without wierdo-ness, psu dieing or catastrophic failure

but the trick to it is replacing the psu be4 the bad stuff starts happening and possibly do dmg. or speed up the normal wear, your always guessing here till something breaks badly.

Point im trying to make.. the right voltages are everything to proper function of logic circuits, computers being power hogs you cant get away with sertian long lasting power circuits designs gone steampunk lasting 40y(the good old days), you get PSU's weighting a ton on copper you have to forklift in and they dont get gold certs either.. instead they gone for a high efficiency, High performance, low volume, but shorter lasting design, after its MTBF you suppose to replace it.

8 hours ago, Purplemonday said:

Im not that great at typing and dislextic like a drunk toad so bare with me and my bad grammar.

But i want to spit a few things about old psu's and psu's under strain. (psu = power supply unit)

That psu is past its Good date for a record time.

PSU's degrade over time, and requirements go up.. together they will make a psu fail at some point. the thing is how. if it fails badly it can take your whole system with it. (ive lost a 64 x2 6000+ this way)

realy depends what protections its packing. surge, thermal, short etc etc
i wouldnt cut costs on a PSU, Good psu is important for stability and reliability.. and for something going wrong in a safe manner. bad psu can couse all sort of havoc even damage/destroy crap

You have a old amd.. they tend to drain the 12v quite heavy and you probably have exhausted its MTBF (main time be4 failure) witch is like 60k-100k hours

24 amp is quite low modern wise. 60 amps is like common these days

Yes it prolly will boot but for how long and what stability.
i swap out my PSU every 4 years or so, sometimes re purposing it in a less demanding less critical setup. i estimate your psu is much older then that, perhaps even ancient

there basily no bad basic psu's these days unless you bought it from aliexpress.
but the top brands all have good enough quality and protection and worth it beyond the 4y mark. for non server hp parts at that age.. i wouldn't put much faith in it.
but everyone has its preferences and brands they swear by but trust me hp doesnt make great consumer psu's.. server psu is a whole other matter but they dont fit without a hacksaw and bruteforce into a atx case

Yours specifies 160 watts per rail witch is 13.3 amp's @ 12v and 320watts for the entire thing, loading the two rails would stress out everything here..deplete the entire 320 watts.

and its age prolly knocked off a quite few watts aswell with age.(degrading caps specifically cause this)
at 24 amp that psu prolly will start making funny noises like a buzzing sound or even a wissle and reach toasty temps. maybe catch fire some day (seriously depends on how cheep it actually is and ive not got much faith in that consumer Hp stuff..)

fact its being loaded in this manner makes its stability worse introducing a ripple noise and voltage drops that arnt great for high mhz ic's, and capacitors dont like it either

Its might run ok now. but i think its a matter of time till something gives, but again it can take a nother 10y.. or burn down your house tomorrow

connecting a phone to usb to charge it might just be tomuch and start trowin BSOD's (blue screen of death)

the older a capacitor the faster it degrades. capacitors degrade by age and use(and abuse like a ripple or surge) and also climate like temp and humidity. and the rate they do it depends on type and quality, the point is.. its a ever steep getting curve of doom, and are the most likely suspects in any given circuit that's more than 5 years old; particularly if the circuit is unused for extended periods of time... all parts should have a white paper with tech details about its decay rate, and the thing is well enough documented to find in google to get to the science behind it.but a lil out of scope for now. and your warned it includes some funky math on factors how its used and you mostly need to gues/reverse engineer this from the circuit itself.... just google "capacitor decay" and prepare for headache

so, about a 100wats for the cpu. nother 100w for gpu, 50w or so for mobo.. 80w or so per running hdd.. i say your pushing your luck taking in mind you max loading a verry old PSU to near/over its maximum

ive not even counted fans or optical drives etc you will need near 550watts assuming you dont have a giant ass disk array or nonsense extra in there.

am3(+) socket needs 450-550 watts todo alright, 750 be even better with heavy cards in there like a radeon.

(might be wrong about the socket of a 64 X4 but the 64 X2 whas am3, and it whas near 125w tdp similair to fx8350 )

i even seen cases of stuff overheating becouse it didnt get enough juice. how exactly this works ive got no clue but it happens to cards  like the radeon gpu's, might have todo with the ripple,

fresh psu sure will give a much bigger chance in it making it a nother 4-5 years without wierdo-ness, psu dieing or catastrophic failure

but the trick to it is replacing the psu be4 the bad stuff starts happening and possibly do dmg. or speed up the normal wear, your always guessing here till something breaks badly.

Point im trying to make.. the right voltages are everything to proper function of logic circuits, computers being power hogs you cant get away with sertian long lasting power circuits designs gone steampunk lasting 40y(the good old days), you get PSU's weighting a ton on copper you have to forklift in and they dont get gold certs either.. instead they gone for a high efficiency, High performance, low volume, but shorter lasting design, after its MTBF you suppose to replace it.

I'll be fine with this psu in theory, because I'll have a AMD athlon x4 860k (95w tdp) and a gt710 (20w tdp), a laptop hdd for now and 3 12v ~0.15A fans, in total that is around 150w, so at least I won't be stressing the PSU to 100%. When I'll have the money I will get a SSD and a new PSU. Wont be using a dvd drive because it is half dead, I think it couldn't write anymore or reads slowly

13 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea it will run that setup fine, but also that gpu is awful, like the igpu(that was disabled on those chips) is much better. Relly try to find something used if you care about performance. 

The other worry with those older psus is failure and other weird issues.

I will be fine with a gt710, because rn im on a Intel HD 2500, userbenchmark says the gt710 is about 150% better overall

1 hour ago, Latvian Video said:

I will be fine with a gt710, because rn im on a Intel HD 2500, userbenchmark says the gt710 is about 150% better overall

Id really try to get a bigger upgrade. Thats a pretty small jump in performance. You still won't be able to play most newer games at reasonble settings with that gpu. 

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id really try to get a bigger upgrade. Thats a pretty small jump in performance. You still won't be able to play most newer games at reasonble settings with that gpu. 

Well... I don't need reasonable settings, xD, 60fps in CSGO and rocket league would be nice, but I'd probs get around 30fps

Just now, Latvian Video said:

Well... I don't need reasonable settings, xD, 60fps in CSGO and rocket leauge would be nice, but I'd probs get around 30fps

What are the specs of the system you have now? If you have. hd2500 you likely already have a better cpu.

Can you get used gpus, they would be much better.

40 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What are the specs of the system you have now? If you have. hd2500 you likely already have a better cpu.

Can you get used gpus, they would be much better.

I have a Celeron 1000m 2 cores at 1.8ghz, the athlon is 4 cores at 3.7ghz, but can be overclocked to 4.2ghz. a Intel HD 2500, 120gb ssd, 8gb ddr3 at 1600mhz (Dual channel), the original 1366x768 laptop screen and a second 1280x1024 screen. I wish I had the version with a i3 or i5 because they have a intel hd 4000

3 hours ago, Latvian Video said:

I have a Celeron 1000m 2 cores at 1.8ghz, the athlon is 4 cores at 3.7ghz, but can be overclocked to 4.2ghz. a Intel HD 2500, 120gb ssd, 8gb ddr3 at 1600mhz (Dual channel), the original 1366x768 laptop screen and a second 1280x1024 screen. I wish I had the version with a i3 or i5 because they have a intel hd 4000

Id look for the apu if you can find one for that board. But a resonble upgrde it seems.