Ps5 system ram

Carz728

I see a lot of people claiming that the 3070 is not a good purchase due to its 8gb of vram whereas the ps5 has 16gb. But from my understand ing the 16gb is split between system memory and vram right? Anyone know how much is assigned to each task?

your understanding is correct. The assumption that 16GB is the "new norm for GPUs" is flawed because the 16GB is shared between the CPU and GPU dynamically.

Not to mention the 4k performance of the 10GB 3080 is superior to the 4K performance of the 16GB 6800 XT in many modern titles.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

48 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

You're trying to decide between console and PC based on Vram specs? There are much more important things to consider here.

No sorry should have specified. I was just trying to decide if I should buy a 3070. People were trying to claim that 8gb won't be enough for newer games due to the new console specs.

• 4 weeks later...

This question bugs me too. Considering there is 16 GB ram available, how much is reserved for GPU processing and system backend processes respectively?

1 hour ago, Junaid Hameed said:

This question bugs me too. Considering there is 16 GB ram available, how much is reserved for GPU processing and system backend processes respectively?

I believe 3GB of RAM is reserved entirely for the system OS, leaving 13GB for a game to play with. That can be allocated as the developers wish as it's a unified memory pool, rather than a divided pool like was used on the PS3.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

5 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

I believe 3GB of RAM is reserved entirely for the system OS, leaving 13GB for a game to play with. That can be allocated as the developers wish as it's a unified memory pool, rather than a divided pool like was used on the PS3.

Thanks for the explanation.

Then

20 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

Then, 8Gbs of 3060/3070 wont cut it after a year or two. 

On 11/21/2020 at 7:46 PM, Carz728 said:

No sorry should have specified. I was just trying to decide if I should buy a 3070. People were trying to claim that 8gb won't be enough for newer games due to the new console specs.

It really depends on what you want I think. I wouldn't worry about the VRAM tbh, in a few years you'll want to upgrade anyway, and today there's no really issue with the 8 gigs at lower resolutions. That said, if you're going to be wanting to go to 4K then 8 gigs doesn't cut it.

Just now, HairiestLad said:

It really depends on what you want I think. I wouldn't worry about the VRAM tbh, in a few years you'll want to upgrade anyway, and today there's no really issue with the 8 gigs at lower resolutions. That said, if you're going to be wanting to go to 4K then 8 gigs doesn't cut it.

I had a 3070 and decided to switch to the 3080 as it just wasn't enough performance for my liking

21 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

That's literally not what I was saying.

My 970 would crush 1080p games and even passable at 1440p just 3 years ago. Now, it barely manages at 1080p medium high. Vram and architectures are  main reasons (My understanding TBH) . PS4 GPU (Modified HD 7870) is extremely well optimized. 

. Since console GPUs are the baseline usually, a powerful console gpu with 12 GB  vram and raytracing cores is gonna be mighty. So, i think 3070 would struggle against PS5 gpu in a couple years. 

On 12/14/2020 at 1:19 AM, Junaid Hameed said:

I think it is probably split based on the task running. For a game it might be able to use 12gbs for GPU but I don't know.

neogaf.com said "PlayStation 5 can allocate as much of its GDDR6 as is necessary to attain parity" 

My primary system: Core I7 10700k, 32 gb Trident Z RGB ram@3200mhz, EVGA GTX 970 SSC (will upgrade), NZXT N7 Z490 motherboard (Black), Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB SSD, NZXT C850 PSU, Hyper 212 EVO cooler (getting new water cooler soon), NZXT H510i case. 

My secondary system: Core I7 4820k, 16 gb quad channel 1600mhz ram, GTX 780 reference, Asus PX79LE, SK Hynix GOLD s31 500gb SSD, some 10 yr old Cooler Master 750w psu, Hyper 212, old Cooler Master case.

Laptop: Lenovo l380 yoga I5 8250u, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd storage)