Need help choosing laptop for work: Do I need Intel's Core 11th gen/Thunderbolt port?

claneksi

Backstory: We've been using a crappy, old desktop PC for years at work. Now with a far better financial situation along with an arrangement to move to a more modern office space, the management want all of us using laptops. They are going to let us choose any laptop that we want as long as it's within a budget of 15 million Rupiah (about 1.000 USD), which is quite a generous budget by our standard.

My work mates are happy with the Zenbook UX325JA (13,3", i5 10th gen, 8GB, 512GB SDD) recommended by one of us. Not that it's a bad choice, I mean, it's more than enough for what we are doing (just office stuff). But I still have my doubt, because we will be using this laptop for at least four to five years, so I want to utilize this budget as best as I can.

Does 11th gen Core processor a must have compared to the 10th gen? The 11th gen version is just around the corner.

What about Ryzen 4000 series? Some 4700u powered laptops like Asus's own Vivobooks are actually well within our budget, and I believe it performs better than the core i5. (although probably a step below the zenbook in terms of features and build quality)

My plan was to have a minimalist approach to my desk setup, with power, monitor, external storage, peripherals etc all connected to a dongle/dock via a single cable. Based on what I know, Thunderbolt 3 is THE port for that kind of scenario. But would that means that Ryzen is no longer an option for me? Or modern non-Thunderbolt USB-C now support those feature too?

i would say wait because of the apple mi chip so intel and amd will have to launch much more powerful processors than any o these so just wait  a few months

That would be a wise thing to do. At least to have more options from different brands if not for new specs. 
The purchasing guys want us to made our choice next week though, so I don't think waiting for that long is possible. 😁

20 hours ago, claneksi said:

because we will be using this laptop for at least four to five years

Thinkpad with Ryzen 4000

If you need TB3, wait for them to be refreshed with Tiger Lake

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128