PC Rebuild

8-Bit Ninja

Afternoon all, 

With Zen 3 here I think its finally time to upgrade my setup. Having sold my 6700k system a few years back and just keeping a media/ gaming pc in my living room I finally want a proper set up again.  The current PC is on a 4790k and 2070 super (980ti that was in it blew up), while the 2070 super is fine to carry across the 4790k is starting to show its age in game. Thus I plan to rebuild the system. The parts I'm planning to carry over are as follows: 

- GPU (RTX 2070 Super)

- PSU (850w G2 Supernova)

- Storage (1x 1tb NVME M.2 SSD, 1x 500gb Sata SDD, 2x 2tb WD Blue HDD) 

- Networking (ASUS PCE-AC88 WiFi Card)

The parts I'm somewhat set on for the rebuild are as follows:

- Case (Phanteks Enthoo Evolv)

- CPU Cooler (A watercooler, Most likely the h100i RGB or the x63)

- Ram (Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16gb) 

This mainly just leaves CPU and MOBO left. If you have any suggestions for anything I've listen above please let me know as apart from what I already own nothing has been purchased. The big choice lies with the MOBO and CPU, there is no current benefit to having a 5800x over a 5600x in game, however im wandering how much longer a 5800x would last compared to a 5600x due to the extra cores and higher clock speed. Im also unsure of which motherboard to take, I don't need anything silly flashy, just something with an m.2 slot, good selection of IO (Mainly lots of USB) and capable of moderate OC'ing (Around 5ghz)

Sorry for such a long post and any advice will be greatly appreciated 

The evolv has very poor airflow and I'd avoid it if I were you to not have temp issues. A watercooler is not at all needed if you do go for one at least get one of the best and that is the arctic liquid freezer II series. If you want rgb ram go for it.

For cpu a 5600x + b550 board with cpu less bios flashback is good enough. No budget specified so cannot recommend anything.

5ghz is not possible on most ryzen cpu's. Better to just leave them at stock and let them boost accordingly.

42 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The evolv has very poor airflow and I'd avoid it if I were you to not have temp issues. A watercooler is not at all needed if you do go for one at least get one of the best and that is the arctic liquid freezer II series. If you want rgb ram go for it.

For cpu a 5600x + b550 board with cpu less bios flashback is good enough. No budget specified so cannot recommend anything.

5ghz is not possible on most ryzen cpu's. Better to just leave them at stock and let them boost accordingly.

Yeh quite a few people know have mentioned the poor airflow on the enthoo. The water cooler is part for looks, part to negate the poor airflow of the case, my 2070 seems to run very cool as is so wasn’t massively worried about the airflow, however if you have a better suggestion then I’d certainly look into it (I do want a small MAtx case though). As for the budget I don’t have one honestly, I’m happy to pay whatever to get the best performance/ longevity. 

14 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Yeh quite a few people know have mentioned the poor airflow on the enthoo. The water cooler is part for looks, part to negate the poor airflow of the case, my 2070 seems to run very cool as is so wasn’t massively worried about the airflow, however if you have a better suggestion then I’d certainly look into it (I do want a small MAtx case though). As for the budget I don’t have one honestly, I’m happy to pay whatever to get the best performance/ longevity. 

Fractal meshify mini