Poor performance

nayman898

Hello,

I'm super confused on this one, which is rather abnormal when it comes to PC builds. One of my friends came and asked me to help him build a PC, I gave him a recommended just on PC part picker, he made some changes and ordered everything. Essentially it's a ryzen 9 3950x on an x570 asus board with 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz c16, an MSI 2080ti, 2 1 TB 970 pro NVME SSDs, and a silverstone 1000w 80+ platinum psu. I got a fresh install of windows 10 and booted it up, installed all the drivers, and it was good to go. A couple months have passed, and he started reporting some poor performance while playing COD MW warzone, so I went out to look at the PC check drivers and all that stuff, and the PSU was most definitely bad making some of the worst coil whine I'd ever heard. Got everything warrantied (gpu, cpu, psu) except the MB and RAM, and he still has absolutely terrible fps in games. My only other thought is that the MB or RAM are bad too, but idk if he can RMA the MB since it didn't exactly come new. He's getting frustrated in my ability to work on computers, when it's literally my job to do so and I have multiple machines running perfectly normal and one that is custom liquid cooled and is heavily over clocked.

Anyone have any ideas as to what to try? I have my LC system that is an x370 so I could try troubleshooting in this, but it would be a hassle doing everything since I have a monoblock for VRM cooling, but it may be my last resort, just throw it all in my MB and test

A very vague idea:

I would look at software issues before hardware issues myself

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

29 minutes ago, nayman898 said:

Hello,

I'm super confused on this one, which is rather abnormal when it comes to PC builds. One of my friends came and asked me to help him build a PC, I gave him a recommended just on PC part picker, he made some changes and ordered everything. Essentially it's a ryzen 9 3950x on an x570 asus board with 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz c16, an MSI 2080ti, 2 1 TB 970 pro NVME SSDs, and a silverstone 1000w 80+ platinum psu. I got a fresh install of windows 10 and booted it up, installed all the drivers, and it was good to go. A couple months have passed, and he started reporting some poor performance while playing COD MW warzone, so I went out to look at the PC check drivers and all that stuff, and the PSU was most definitely bad making some of the worst coil whine I'd ever heard. Got everything warrantied (gpu, cpu, psu) except the MB and RAM, and he still has absolutely terrible fps in games. My only other thought is that the MB or RAM are bad too, but idk if he can RMA the MB since it didn't exactly come new. He's getting frustrated in my ability to work on computers, when it's literally my job to do so and I have multiple machines running perfectly normal and one that is custom liquid cooled and is heavily over clocked.

Anyone have any ideas as to what to try? I have my LC system that is an x370 so I could try troubleshooting in this, but it would be a hassle doing everything since I have a monoblock for VRM cooling, but it may be my last resort, just throw it all in my MB and test

Likely not what you’re facing, but one issue I had at least is that half my ram was shown as “hardware reserved” in task manager which caused much of the same issues that you’re describing. If task manager shows ram usage pinned at 50% or 25% when under load, I would check in the bottom right to see if it shows anything more than ~60mb of hardware reserved memory. If it does, lowering the memory frequency should solve the issue

32 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

A very vague idea:

I would look at software issues before hardware issues myself

That was my thought, I reinstalled windows once prior and ran the hardware post-psu failure on KGP to verify that the hardware was effected (which all but the MB and RAM seemed to be). The new hardware tested fine on the KGP setup I had tested prior, so the only thing I haven't done is a clean wipe and install of windows. Unfortunately the guy isn't the best with computers and doesn't know how to do that, so I'll recommend it (I cant go out, tested positive for the covid 😔) and give him a walkthrough link or something. I'm hoping that's all it would be

Just now, nayman898 said:

That was my thought, I reinstalled windows once prior and ran the hardware post-psu failure on KGP to verify that the hardware was effected (which all but the MB and RAM seemed to be). The new hardware tested fine on the KGP setup I had tested prior, so the only thing I haven't done is a clean wipe and install of windows. Unfortunately the guy isn't the best with computers and doesn't know how to do that, so I'll recommend it (I cant go out, tested positive for the covid 😔) and give him a walkthrough link or something. I'm hoping that's all it would be

Could also be drivers, some weird interfering app that won’t stop polling stuff, even malware. Software stuff costs less cash to fix unless you’re paying by the hour.  Then it can get really expensive.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

54 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Could also be drivers, some weird interfering app that won’t stop polling stuff, even malware. Software stuff costs less cash to fix unless you’re paying by the hour.  Then it can get really expensive.

I'm having him reinstall windows, fresh from a new installation media. Hopefully that works, thanks for being a good sanity check and verification, I was pretty sure it was software, I'm not thinking straight with all that's happening lol