Can't Transfer Files From External Drive On Ubuntu

I was trying to fix my neighbour's old laptop. I determined the problem was the OS and needs reinstalling. I tried to put the HDD on my external drive enclosure but when I plugged it in to my desktop. It wont detect the files and just showed up as 4 partition, 3 of them being Local DIsk somehow. Also when plugged the usb controller gone haywire somehow.

Then I tried using Ubuntu via bootable usb stick hopping maybe it can read it. And you know what it did. But I can't transfer the file to my computer drives 'cause it detects it as a read only drive

Can someone helped with transferring these files.

I have run into the same issue with bootable Linux USBs when trying to get files from partitions Windows cannot read/OS is corrupted. The only fix I have found is to install Linux somewhere on the computer and then copy the files from there.

elephants

11 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

I have run into the same issue with bootable Linux USBs when trying to get files from partitions Windows cannot read/OS is corrupted. The only fix I have found is to install Linux somewhere on the computer and then copy the files from there.

Hmm... okay then I think I have 160gb drive lying around I'm gonna try installing ubuntu to that.