Building your own smartwatch

gaminator

So I was getting really tired of waiting for a smartwatch that I had backed on kickstarter over a year ago and has still not started mass production, so I decided to do this instead!

I have started building my own smartwatch using an arduino pro mini, an HC-06 bluetooth module to connect to my phone, a 2 cell 600mah LiPo battery, and a 128x64 monochrome 0.96" OLED display. 

here I have begun to solder together the arduino pro mini and the HC-06 bluetooth module. Be aware that I do not have much soldering experience and this stuff is really really small! (go easy on me if my soldering sucks)

IMG_20140313_094759.jpg

After finishing soldering together the Arduino and the bluetooth module:

IMG_20140313_153500.jpg

and from the front:

IMG_20140313_153508.jpg

This is what it will look like soon when I have finished soldering on the display:

IMG_20140313_153703.jpg

and here are the two components next to each other:

IMG_20140313_153636.jpg

I will be updating this hopefully every day but I only get a few minutes to work on it per day, so don't expect too much. I am probably gonna have to 3d print a case for it when it is done being soldered together, and then I have the problem of charging the LiPo battery correctly and without damaging it, a complicated task. I hope integrate some sort of charging mechanism into the case that I design because currently I have been charging the LiPo battery with raw leads. I also would like to be able to use regular/standard watch straps with my case after I print it! 

Wish me luck!

Forgot to mention, I saw someone else do something similar to this on Hackaday.com a few weeks ago and thought I would give it a try! They used a different display and were unable to 3d print themselves a case for their watch, instead opting to just staple it to some leather! 

How much has this cost so far?

Woo!

Is that the 8 mhz 3.3v board? Nice work for a noob. I've been planning a super sexy one for a bit. Also here's a proper video about soldering.

Thanks a lot man:), and yes, it is the 8 mhz 3.3v board. A side note, I have found a good way to charge the battery now as well!

How much has this cost so far?

Each component was fairly cheap, the most expensive being the screen which was still less than $20. Total I think that I spent a little more than $50 USD on all of the equipment that I had to buy. (it would have been a little cheaper if I had had a USB to UART adapter already which I have to use to upload programs to the arduino [it doesnt have a usb controller on it])

Is that the 8 mhz 3.3v board? Nice work for a noob. I've been planning a super sexy one for a bit. Also here's a proper video about soldering.

Any advice on soldering things onto those little ridges on the side of the bluetooth module? I find that the hardest.

Any advice on soldering things onto those little ridges on the side of the bluetooth module? I find that the hardest.

Heat from the wire and apply solder from opposite side.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Heat from the wire and apply solder from opposite side.

Much appreciated! 

Each component was fairly cheap, the most expensive being the screen which was still less than $20. Total I think that I spent a little more than $50 USD on all of the equipment that I had to buy. (it would have been a little cheaper if I had had a USB to UART adapter already which I have to use to upload programs to the arduino [it doesnt have a usb controller on it])

If these cost $75 or less and they turn out to work well, you should seriously consider production.

Woo!

Alright guys, new update! 

I finished soldering the screen onto the other main components!

IMG_20140314_133003.jpg

And another.

IMG_20140314_133044.jpg

Here you can see the wires in between them.

IMG_20140314_132934.jpg

Here is a view next to the battery that I plan on using. attaching the battery will be my next step, along with installing a button to turn on and off the power. 

IMG_20140314_132951.jpg

Note, I may end up buying a smaller battery, this one is 600 mah but is also a bit thick for my liking. I may buy a 300 mah one that is half as thick. 300 mah should be more than enough to get me through a day!

I'm really excited to see the progress on this! Keep up the good work!

I'm that guy with the GPD Win.

Thanks for the support guys!

The next update will be coming on Monday!

Wow what an idea! Very impressive job! I would never be able to solder that small pieces :D

|OscillosC Build|+ Raspberry Pi [NAS] + Another G5 + Personal + HTPC: Asus Z87-A - Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4.5ghz 1.15v - Noctua NH-D14 - Gigabyte Radeon HD7870 OC @ 1170mhz core- Kingston HyperX 8gb 1600mhz CL9 - Samsung 840 PRO 128Gb SSD for Windows- Kingston V300 120gb for Ubuntu- WD Caviar Black 1Tb For games and programs - WD Caviar Green 2Tb For videos, photos, music, and backups- Seasonic P660 XP2 Platinum - Windows 8.1 PRO - Ubuntu 14.04 - Modded Bitfenix Ghost

O btw I have acess to a 3d printer so I can use ur design for casing

I'll probably just get the case printed from shapeways; I printed things from them before and they have always been high quality! I also have extensive experience in Blender so no need for you to design it, but thanks for offering! I also have access to a 3d printer, but find that shapeways can deliver a more precise print.

How much would that cost you cuz I may do this myself

I have payed about $50 for all of the parts I believe. I'll total up the costs when I finish everything and have the price for the case finalized (shapeways charges a lot IMO, but its cool, they are really accurate).