UPS basics

Beef Boss
Go to solution Solved by Beef Boss,
18 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

why not ask you teacher? were aren't here to do your homework.

Normally with that size of a ups, your using 208/240v and hardwiring it in.

I have researched the type and seen all posted images of the UPS, I just wanted to know if there is an additional component for these rack mount units to have an output usable for 120vac devices. The images I found did not have this rather a bunch of 250volt outputs which are useless for a 48 port switch. Other UPS's have an additional component/unit that stacks on top giving the output receptacles I'm looking for.

I switches from one main UPS to four separate units. Thanks.

Hello,

I have a school project and I'm a little confused on this basic part of UPS function...

So we have to research a UPS, so I'm looking at one I would hypothetically use, which I found the APC 15KVA whatever to be substantial enough - it has to support a max of 12KW.

I don't know where the plugs are... Where is the interface to plug components into? I'm so confused on where the plugs are LOL, I see some may have different voltage outputs and this one offers 200+ volt plugs, do typical Cisco and HP switches support this high voltage or should I use multiple smaller UPS devices to power the total of 9 switches and 5 servers?

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

19 minutes ago, Beef Boss said:

I found the APC 15KVA whatever

that's extremely vague info for us to help you out, 15KiloVoltAmps is just a capacity not the model number. I have to assume you are looking at something like the RT 15KVA 208V maybe? The plugs for that one are twist lock connectors for high amperage plugs, these usually are connected to power distribution strips with the standard 3prong connection most people are familiar with. 

23 minutes ago, Beef Boss said:

I see some may have different voltage outputs and this one offers 200+ volt plugs

This is for higher efficiency, some servers will have 200v capable power supplies which run at a slightly higher power efficiency (think 80+ platinum and add a few percent). For small installs it doesn't make a huge difference but when 100 racks of servers are running those few percent turn into big$ every hour. 

26 minutes ago, Beef Boss said:

should I use multiple smaller UPS devices to power the total of 9 switches and 5 servers

one large UPS will be more efficient than multiple smaller UPSs for power consumption (less screens, transformers, charging losses etc) and the larger the capacity (10, 12, 15KVA+) you will end up with a longer run time if not everything is consuming max power compared to multiple smaller UPSs (ie 5x 2.5KVA each) where your switches will likely last days and your server will last minutes. 

30 minutes ago, Beef Boss said:

do typical Cisco and HP switches support this high voltage

it all depends on the models but 'usually' their power supplies can use either 110v or 220v internally. 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

Ahh, the beauty of universal power supplies. Say goodbye to caring about all voltages below 240V and pretty much all frequencies. Most switchmode units these days probably wouldn't care if you fed them 400Hz.

2 hours ago, bonox said:

What do you yanks use for high power btw? Over here, 12kW would be running on 415V. You'd be on 380V or similar wouldn't you? root 3 by 200 or 208V

we're all kinds of messed up for specs, 'mostly' NEMA 600V upto 400A, there's a smattering of 1000V 600A for the brand new builds to tap into but it's all over the place from 120, 220, 450v after the breakers.

18 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I have researched the type and seen all posted images of the UPS, I just wanted to know if there is an additional component for these rack mount units to have an output usable for 120vac devices. The images I found did not have this rather a bunch of 250volt outputs which are useless for a 48 port switch. Other UPS's have an additional component/unit that stacks on top giving the output receptacles I'm looking for.

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

13 minutes ago, Beef Boss said:

https://www.tripplite.com/5-8kw-single-phase-switched-pdu-208-240v-outlets-8-c13-6-c19-l6-30p-15ft-cord-2u-rack-mount~PDUMH30HV19NET

this is what you'd end up plugging into the UPS and everything in the rack plugs into it. 

50 minutes ago, Beef Boss said:

basically everything in a server rack runs off 200-240v, so not having 120v isn't a issue. Those switches all run off 240v just fine.

You normally have a pdu, basically a big power sttrip between the ups and the and the switches/servers