What cpu to match rtx 3080 with?

Jnys

I have a 8700 right now with a z370 motherboard and it seems like i am not getting all the performance out of my new rtx 3080. Can anyone help me what cpu would be a good match for this gpu?

5600X or 5800X

Intel? i cant be arsed to buy a new mobo + cpu when i have already spent so much cash on a gpu

So I think it would be worth it to go with a 5600x and maybe a b550 mobo. The am4 mobo's are much cheaper than intel's.

24 minutes ago, Jnys said:

Intel? i cant be arsed to buy a new mobo + cpu when i have already spent so much cash on a gpu

if it's a matter of money you can sell the CPU and GPU, buy a cheap B550 and Ryzen 5 5600X, and probably make a neat profit. But first things first:

32 minutes ago, Jnys said:

it seems like i am not getting all the performance out of my new rtx 3080.

what monitor? What's your performance target, and what games? What speed ram?

A pcpartpicker.com link goes a long way. Don't worry about the prices since you already own the parts.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

7 hours ago, Jnys said:

I have a 8700 right now with a z370 motherboard and it seems like i am not getting all the performance out of my new rtx 3080. Can anyone help me what cpu would be a good match for this gpu?

Can z370 even support 10th gen Intel? 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

On 11/15/2020 at 10:15 PM, Fasauceome said:

if it's a matter of money you can sell the CPU and GPU, buy a cheap B550 and Ryzen 5 5600X, and probably make a neat profit. But first things first:

what monitor? What's your performance target, and what games? What speed ram?

A pcpartpicker.com link goes a long way. Don't worry about the prices since you already own the parts.

not my exact pc but close too, 

1440p Mostly playing cod 2400mhz ram

On 11/15/2020 at 10:07 PM, Zakkimann said:

Actually what's your budget?

at the moment, no clue around 400-500 dollars? maybe can spend 600

8 minutes ago, Jnys said:

1440p Mostly playing cod 2400mhz ram

the slow ram could be a big factor here, modern games do rely more on memory bandwidth. Sure the difference isn't as big as something like a Ryzen system, but trying to overclock your ram or getting a faster kit could noticeably improve your experience.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

the slow ram could be a big factor here, modern games do rely more on memory bandwidth. Sure the difference isn't as big as something like a Ryzen system, but trying to overclock your ram or getting a faster kit could noticeably improve your experience.

That's what i'm thinking about. Found a Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600MHz 16GB kit for 91 dollars so probably going to order that and see if it makes any difference.

2 minutes ago, Jnys said:

That's what i'm thinking about. Found a Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600MHz 16GB kit for 91 dollars so probably going to order that and see if it makes any difference.

are you getting 32GB? 91 is pretty expensive for 16GB.

Primary PC:

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

are you getting 32GB? 91 is pretty expensive for 16GB.

i mean, can't find anything cheaper in sweden

1 minute ago, Jnys said:

i mean, can't find anything cheaper in sweden

in that case it's a good call

Primary PC:

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

in that case it's a good call

i don't know why but 32 gig configs here are up to 140 dollars so yeah, I'm probably going to try and order that and see if it makes any difference. If not i'll sell my old gpu and cpu and buy a new cpu and mobo.

I haven't realised but 1 upgrade is basically turning into a whole new pc

2 minutes ago, Jnys said:

I haven't realised but 1 upgrade is basically turning into a whole new pc

well, don't get too ahead of yourself. in the original post you said it "seems" like you're not getting max performance, but perhaps did you expect too much out of the 3080? Powerful as it is, it's not perfect. 

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

well, don't get too ahead of yourself. in the original post you said it "seems" like you're not getting max performance, but perhaps did you expect too much out of the 3080? Powerful as it is, it's not perfect. 

I know that. Just i have been seeing benchmarks of like double my fps. Just seems weird that my cpu is 100% all the time and my gpu is at like 40%.

22 minutes ago, Jnys said:

I know that. Just i have been seeing benchmarks of like double my fps. Just seems weird that my cpu is 100% all the time and my gpu is at like 40%.

be wary of any "benchmarks" that don't showcase the physical card beforehand and don't share testing methodology. there are a lot of "simulated performance" videos out there.

Primary PC:

overclock your 8700 as much as you can

it wont be much because its not an unlocked cpu

a 10600 can handle a 3080 just fine and its pretty much a 2020 8700

if that doesn't work

either a 8700K or 9900k - both used

id skip the 9700K since it doesn't have HT

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

21 hours ago, Action_Johnson said:

Can z370 even support 10th gen Intel? 

nope

intel 300 is LGA 1151

intel 400 is LGA 1200

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

34 minutes ago, HardStroke said:

if that doesn't work

Its an 8700. Not 8700k

34 minutes ago, HardStroke said:

if that doesn't work

So 9900k,r5 5600x or 10900k if i can?

42 minutes ago, Jnys said:

So 9900k,r5 5600x or 10900k if i can?

a second hand 9900K is your cheapest option

whats your ram model?

10900k is not woth the money right now

you can get a 5600X with some tight ram and OC it 4.7GHZ and get the same performance as a 10900k if not better

44 minutes ago, Jnys said:

Its an 8700. Not 8700k

you can still overclock it

1 hour ago, HardStroke said:

a second hand 9900K is your cheapest option

whats your ram model?

10900k is not woth the money right now

you can get a 5600X with some tight ram and OC it 4.7GHZ and get the same performance as a 10900k if not better

2400mhz. Found a 3600 kit i belive for 85 dollars. I am selling my old monitor and some gear right now. And if i'll get that sold im going to buy a new mobo and the r5 5600x. And then i can sell my 8700 and mobo and profit from it all:)

Big brain