Question about Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL fan support

Tyuzo

Does anyone know if the Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL can fit 2x140mm(radiator) + 1x120mm fans at the top?

i9-10900k | ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 ROG Strix OC | 32GB RAM @ 3200MHz

Just now, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Nope, only either 2x140mm or 3x120mm fans at the top.

https://www.lian-li.com/pc-o11d-rog/

Unlucky. What would be the best fan config for this case?

I have 7x120mm fans and 2x140mm fans on my rad.

7 minutes ago, Tyuzo said:

Unlucky. What would be the best fan config for this case?

I have 7x120mm fans and 2x140mm fans on my rad.

2x140mm on the rad since you can't put 120mm fans on it. You can put it at the top.

For the other fans, you can put 3 in the side and 3 in the bottom if you want, all as intake. Now you just have an extra fan as a back up.

EDIT: This is assuming you have a way to connect and control all these fans either through the motherboard or a fan splitter.

Edited by Dissitesuxba11s
Clarification

1 minute ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

2x140mm on the rad since you can't put 120mm fans on it. You can put it at the top.

For the other fans, you can put 3 in the side and 3 in the bottom if you want. Now you just have an extra fan as a back up.

The XL has support for one 120mm at the rear, should I use it for exhaust or intake? Or just leave it?

1 minute ago, Tyuzo said:

The XL has support for one 120mm at the rear, should I use it for exhaust or intake? Or just leave it?

Oh good call. I forgot it has that. Yea, install the 7th one there as exhaust.

8 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Oh good call. I forgot it has that. Yea, install the 7th one there as exhaust.

Sweet, so the fan config should be like this then:

1x120mm for rear exhaust, 2x140mm mounted on rad at top as exhaust and 3 side and 3 bottom as intake?

Is there any fan config I can run where the 3 side can be used as exhaust instead? The fans look very ugly as intake, I made the mistake of ordering LL120s and not QL120...

Just now, Tyuzo said:

Sweet, so the fan config should be like this then:

1x120mm for rear exhaust, 2x140mm mounted on rad at top as exhaust and 3 side and 3 bottom as intake?

Is there any fan config I can run where the 3 side can be used as exhaust instead? The fans look very ugly as intake, I made the mistake of ordering LL120s and not QL120...

Ideally you want positive pressure in your case to keep dust out, and to get positive pressure you would need to have more fans as intake than exhaust.

What you can do is have the top 2x140mm fans, rear 120mm and the bottom 3x120mm fans as intake, while the side 3x120mm as exhaust. Just take into account the positive pressure rule and you can play around with your layout. Just make sure fans are not conflicting with each other, i.e. have fans that are right next to each other in different airflow directions.

1 minute ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Ideally you want positive pressure in your case to keep dust out, and to get positive pressure you would need to have more fans as intake than exhaust.

What you can do is have the top 2x140mm fans, rear 120mm and the bottom 3x120mm fans as intake, while the side 3x120mm as exhaust. Just take into account the positive pressure rule and you can play around with your layout. Just make sure fans are not conflicting with each other, i.e. have fans that are right next to each other in different airflow directions.

Hm, say I have the funds available - would it be better to just get a 360mm radiator with 3x120mm fans at the top as intake, 3x120mm at bottom as intake and 3x120mm side as exhaust?

1 minute ago, Tyuzo said:

Hm, say I have the funds available - would it be better to just get a 360mm radiator with 3x120mm fans at the top as intake, 3x120mm at bottom as intake and 3x120mm side as exhaust?

Technically yes, the 360mm rad would perform better than a 280mm rad but not by much. If you really want it for the aesthetic aspect of it, then by all means go for the 360.

I personally would stick with the 240 since you already have it.

27 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Technically yes, the 360mm rad would perform better than a 280mm rad but not by much. If you really want it for the aesthetic aspect of it, then by all means go for the 360.

I personally would stick with the 240 since you already have it.

Sweet. I'll get a 360mm rad instead then. Returning my 280mm now as I write this.

Thanks for your help! My final fan config will be this then:

3x120mm (rad) at the top as intake. 3x120mm side as exhaust. 3x120mm bottom as intake

2 minutes ago, Tyuzo said:

3x120mm (rad) at the top as intake. 3x120mm side as exhaust. 3x120mm bottom as intake

That should work. Just make sure your motherboard can support 9 total fans or have a fan splitter.