Which ssd for which m.2 slot?

HenrikTJ

Hi

Just yesterday, it was brought to my attention that some m.2 slots are wired directly to the cpu pcie lanes and others to the chipset. And between the two slots, the one wired to the cpu pcie lanes gives the best performance. I myself have two m.2 SSDs in my build. One purely for games and the other for w10 and other basic day to day stuff. I have to say that after having the same game be launched from both SSDs, I cant tell any difference in speed or anything... But if I had been made aware of this back when I built the system, would it be recommended to have the game-ssd or the w10-ssd be placed in the cpu pcie lane m.2 slot?

2 minutes ago, HenrikTJ said:

Hi

Just yesterday, it was brought to my attention that some m.2 slots are wired directly to the cpu pcie lanes and others to the chipset. And between the two slots, the one wired to the cpu pcie lanes gives the best performance. I myself have two m.2 SSDs in my build. One purely for games and the other for w10 and other basic day to day stuff. I have to say that after having the same game be launched from both SSDs, I cant tell any difference in speed or anything... But if I had known all of this back when I built the system, would it be recommended to have the game-ssd or the w10-ssd be placed in the cpu pcie lane m.2 slot?

You got your answer already. Put the one that you use the most (game-ssd if you plan to game on it a lot or w10-ssd if you're using it for chrome, video editing etc.)

2 minutes ago, Rooked said:

You got your answer already. Put the one that you use the most (game-ssd if you plan to game on it a lot or w10-ssd if you're using it for chrome, video editing etc.)

Thanks! No need to take out the mobo and switch.. phew