what's a better buy - Laptop with RAM = 8gb or 16Gb

k3s7uf
Go to solution Solved by Jumballi,
2 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

this makes no sense we dont know what laptops youre looking at we dont know what you mean by thin and light etc. we need some sort of information to help you out, 

5 minutes ago, Kallu said:

I'm looking for a thin and light laptop, almost only for productivity and web browsing and Netflix. Not gaming, I have my desktop for that.

8GB is getting a little low for todays windows, that said it should be fine for moderate web browsing and media consumption. There are some benefits like being able to open more tabs, but that's a question on how you'll end up using it.

My personal recommendation is that if you can afford the bump up, then go for it, it'll give you a bit more of a life span for the laptop as well, in the event you decide to stick with it for more than 2 years or gift it to a younger cousin.

I'm trying to make up my mind to buy a laptop. But I'm confused if I should go with an 8gb or 16gb ram?

I'm looking for a thin and light laptop, almost only for productivity and web browsing and Netflix. Not gaming, I have my desktop for that.

this makes no sense we dont know what laptops youre looking at we dont know what you mean by thin and light etc. we need some sort of information to help you out, 

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

2 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

5 minutes ago, Kallu said:

8GB is getting a little low for todays windows, that said it should be fine for moderate web browsing and media consumption. There are some benefits like being able to open more tabs, but that's a question on how you'll end up using it.

My personal recommendation is that if you can afford the bump up, then go for it, it'll give you a bit more of a life span for the laptop as well, in the event you decide to stick with it for more than 2 years or gift it to a younger cousin.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

9 hours ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

I'm looking for a thin and light laptop for work. I own a Dell Inspiron 13 7348, with 5500U. Planning to replace it with a 10th gen or 11th gen processor machine.

Basically looking for something like the XPS line, Thinkpad ones.

9 hours ago, Jumballi said:

Thank you. Yes, I am considering the lifespan, since I use my current one for the past 4 years. I use it for report generations/compiling and some small ML work (I run the heavy ones on my desktop).

id look for an xps 15 or something along the lines of that then

AMD blackout rig

also just cam across the asus zenbook today, looks pretty good 

https://www.newegg.com/asus-um425ia-nh74/p/N82E16834235516?Item=N82E16834235516

AMD blackout rig

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, k3s7uf said:

Unfortunately I saw this just now, and its sold out.

Well, this is exactly something I'm looking for. thanks

keep your eye out it seems to go in and out of stock pretty frequently 

AMD blackout rig