How to free up a PCIe slot on a micro/mini Atx

Hi. I'm trying to configure my first custom built PC in more than 20 years, since I've been daily driving macs so far.

I really like small desktops but it doesn't necessarily have to be very small, at least not bigger than necessary.

I've been configuring pcs for months but there's one thing I'm getting wrong.

Coming from years of laptops I'm embracing the upgradability of PCs and for that I'd really like to configure my build with and extra PCIe x16 or x4 (from what I'm reading) for future upgrades such as a 10 GB/s ethernet, some faster USB port, or some other expantion. To begin with, is it even possible on a mini or micro atx?

Could you suggest me one or two configurations where this will be possible?

My plans so far were to get a case as big as the Corsair Crystal x280 or as small as the Lian Li TU150 or the Cooler Master NR200 with a X570 motherboard to start first with a Ryzen 3000 APU and upgrading to Ryzen 5000 CPUs and a RX 6800 as soon as they become fairly available, I'm not pre-ordering.

If it isn't possible or overcomplicated I'll drop the idea.

Thanks

i don't get it really. mATX boards come with more than one PCIe slot already so you can easily plug in a GPU and whatever you like. On ITX you can use a spare m.2 slot and convert that to a standard PCIe 4.0 slot. You just need a case with 3 or more PCIe slots. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

I don't see the problem here really. Micro atx boards have multiple pcie slots that would allow you to do what you want. Also don't spend extra money on a apu when you know you can just wait a little. Also why a x570 board? Any of it's extra features that you will use?

16 minutes ago, Drexo said:

Hi. I'm trying to configure my first custom built PC in more than 20 years, since I've been daily driving macs so far.

I really like small desktops but it doesn't necessarily have to be very small, at least not bigger than necessary.

I've been configuring pcs for months but there's one thing I'm getting wrong.

Coming from years of laptops I'm embracing the upgradability of PCs and for that I'd really like to configure my build with and extra PCIe x16 or x4 (from what I'm reading) for future upgrades such as a 10 GB/s ethernet, some faster USB port, or some other expantion. To begin with, is it even possible on a mini or micro atx?

Could you suggest me one or to configurations where this will be possible?

My plans so far were to get a case as big as the Corsair Crystal x280 or as small as the Lian Li TU150 or the Cooler Master NR200 with a X570 motherboard to start first with a Ryzen 3000 APU and upgrading to Ryzen 5000 CPUs and a RX 6800 as soon as they become fairly available, I'm not pre-ordering.

If it isn't possible or overcomplicated I'll drop the idea.

Thanks

Get this adapter for mini-itx:

https://www.amazon.com/McPnand-Adapter-Power-Risers-Mining/dp/B07BWQTQG2/ref=pd_lpo_147_t_2/147-9183913-9799902?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07BWQTQG2&pd_rd_r=1f065964-751e-4c8e-a70e-199814686059&pd_rd_w=JMbbB&pd_rd_wg=n8mgF&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=4YMMPJFCS8BX4D3JWG3B&psc=1&refRID=4YMMPJFCS8BX4D3JWG3B

guys tag him or quote him to see it

3 hours ago, jaslion said:

I don't see the problem here really. Micro atx boards have multiple pcie slots that would allow you to do what you want. Also don't spend extra money on a apu when you know you can just wait a little. Also why a x570 board? Any of it's extra features that you will use?

If I’m getting a ryzen 3000 apu and then upgrade later on to a 5000 the X570 is the only compatible chipset with both.

As for the spare pcie, as I was saying it’s my first build in 20 years. I don’t know what fits where anymore. Of course I did my researches of the new ports, formats, chipsets, etc but at the end PCPartPicker is my only guide and almost no morherboards fit my needs

B550 supports both too. But why not just wait? If you already have a computer then it would be a waste of money really. What does your computer really all need to have?

5 hours ago, jaslion said:

B550 supports both too. But why not just wait? If you already have a computer then it would be a waste of money really. What does your computer really all need to have?

B550 supports from Ryzen 3000 series onwards, except 3000 APUs. X570 supports 3000 APUs too along with everything B550 supports (source: https://www.amd.com/es/chipsets/x570). I don't have a PC right now except for an iPad so I kind of need it ASAP, the GPU and the R5000 can wait. The X570 platform and an APU offers me peace of mind at the moment, features and upgradability for years to come and I don't have to worry selling the APU when I'll upgrade the CPU, maybe a Ryzen 5 3400G, they sell really fast, matter of fact I'm looking for one used. I have seen the shit show Nvidia caused with its own founders edition cards and scalpers going nuts with prices, AMD isn't good mantaining production volume too so I can wait untill stock and prices settle. The other reason why I don't want to wait is to take advantage of black friday's offers.

4 hours ago, Drexo said:

B550 supports from Ryzen 3000 series onwards, except 3000 APUs. X570 supports 3000 APUs too along with everything B550 supports (source: https://www.amd.com/es/chipsets/x570). I don't have a PC right now except for an iPad so I kind of need it ASAP, the GPU and the R5000 can wait. The X570 platform and an APU offers me peace of mind at the moment, features and upgradability for years to come and I don't have to worry selling the APU when I'll upgrade the CPU, maybe a Ryzen 5 3400G, they sell really fast, matter of fact I'm looking for one used. I have seen the shit show Nvidia caused with its own founders edition cards and scalpers going nuts with prices, AMD isn't good mantaining production volume too so I can wait untill stock and prices settle. The other reason why I don't want to wait is to take advantage of black friday's offers.

Black friday only has sales on either very old stuff that isn't moving, cheap crap or obscure weird products. That or fake sales so check prices. There are a good few b550 boards that do run the apu's as often happens that manufacturers do keep compatibility in it. But pick the board you like as long as it's a decent x570 one.

Since you want pcie extra expansion itx is out of the question so basically get a micro atx board with enough slots (preferably has a small pcie x1 slot above the x16 to avoid an addin card restricting airflow).

Got a budget for everything but the cpu and gpu?

On 11/8/2020 at 4:44 PM, jaslion said:

Black friday only has sales on either very old stuff that isn't moving, cheap crap or obscure weird products. That or fake sales so check prices. There are a good few b550 boards that do run the apu's as often happens that manufacturers do keep compatibility in it. But pick the board you like as long as it's a decent x570 one.

Since you want pcie extra expansion itx is out of the question so basically get a micro atx board with enough slots (preferably has a small pcie x1 slot above the x16 to avoid an addin card restricting airflow).

Got a budget for everything but the cpu and gpu?

I've been checking the B550 motherboards these past days and actually they are kind of better, at least most have 2.5 Gb/s ethernet.

Ok, I scrapped my X570 idea, I'm going with a B550, matter of fact I already bought yesterday my Ryzen 5 5600X and RAM I found on discount.

I still have questions on motherboard frontheader connectors but I'll do a new post for that. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/8/2020 at 7:38 AM, Ankh Tech said:

Usually m.2 slots are not alined with PCIs. Is there any way to use a riser extention cable to place a card in line with the gpu and the rest of the cards ports?

25 minutes ago, Drexo said:

Usually m.2 slots are not alined with PCIs. Is there any way to use a ryzer extention cable to place a card in line with the gpu?

sometimes, they are, if they are between slots or on top of the only slot, this won't completely block your slots though, there are some mobos with slots on the back. So maybe it will work

2 hours ago, Ankh Tech said:

sometimes, they are, if they are between slots or on top of the only slot, this won't completely block your slots though, there are some mobos with slots on the back. So maybe it will work

Alright, a riser cable from the back of the motherboard sounds easier to manage since those M.e slots usually don't have heatsinks.

Do you have any of those mobos to link? Just to have an idea. It's literally the only thing stopping me from getting a micro atx instead. A mini ITX would be much more manageable for me, I don't have a lot of desk space.

6 hours ago, Ankh Tech said:

Wait I just realized these mobos are the same used for those funky eGPU projects on crappy laptops using the wifi card m.2 slot, right?

9 hours ago, Drexo said:

Wait I just realized these mobos are the same used for those funky eGPU projects on crappy laptops using the wifi card m.2 slot, right?

yeah kinda, get any board, the asus x570-I I would pick