Problems with old HDD

Kaleb Janzen

Hi! 

i got a computer with no hard drive so i decided to use the old hdd from my old pc 

i got it installed but when i try booting windows i get a blue screen 

any tips on what i can do to fix this?

Might be the drive, might be bios settings, might be a bunch of things.

Was this donated to you? Given to you to fix?

Were you aware of the functionality of the computer before you got it?

I fix computers and computer accessories... sometimes... when I want to...

7 minutes ago, 178Jax said:

Might be the drive, might be bios settings, might be a bunch of things.

Was this donated to you? Given to you to fix?

Were you aware of the functionality of the computer before you got it?

I got this computer as a birthday gift from my friend and he tested it and showed me it works before giving it to me.

It might be a driver/software conflict when booting into windows, try booting into safe mode and see if windows still crashes on start up. It will bring windows into a driverless ish state for testing. if the os boots without issues in safe mode then just reinstall windows and save yourself the hassle. Fresh start for a "new" computer.

Just now, 178Jax said:

It might be a driver/software conflict when booting into windows, try booting into safe mode and see if windows still crashes on start up. It will bring windows into a driverless ish state for testing. if the os boots without issues in safe mode then just reinstall windows and save yourself the hassle. Fresh start for a "new" computer.

Safe mode didn't work 

Are you running an old windows install and drive? Did you reinstall windows first? Because such a big change in hardware is enough to cause blue screens if it's the same windows install. It's happened to me before.

Also you can download crystal disk info and check the smart status of that old drive. Make sure it isnt starting to fail.

What is the error message windows gives you at the bottom when it gives you the blue screen? Also what version of windows are you running?

5 minutes ago, Digideath said:

Are you running an old windows install and drive? Did you reinstall windows first? Because such a big change in hardware is enough to cause blue screens if it's the same windows install. It's happened to me before.

Also you can download crystal disk info and check the smart status of that old drive. Make sure it isnt starting to fail.

It is the old hard dive from my Windows XP 

That's what the hard dive has on it

I also have no way to install a new copy of Windows 

*smacks face* you're going to need to install a newer os, as it is xp isn't the friendliest to system changes along with the fact that it is a 19 year old OS.

What are the specs for this system anyway?

1 minute ago, Kaleb Janzen said:

It is the old hard dive from my Windows XP 

That's what the hard dive has on it

I also have no way to install a new copy of Windows 

That's the problem then. You have an old copy of windows that has old drivers from the previous system. Those drivers are conflicting with your new hardware. You should always reinstall windows when swapping systems.

Do you have a memory pen and access to a stable system or laptop? I can show you how to install windows 10 if you have.

Just now, Digideath said:

That's the problem then. You have an old copy of windows that has old drivers from the previous system. Those drivers are conflicting with your new hardware. You should always reinstall windows when swapping systems.

Do you have a memory pen and access to a stable system or laptop? I can show you how to install windows 10 if you have.

i dont and the hard drive only has 7gb storage

What hardware does the new computer you got have? If it's newer than about 15 years old there's almost no chance XP will run on it, and even if it was able to run on the hardware you'd need a clean install.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, Digideath said:

I believe it has 2 Intel Xeons 

6gb ram

I don't know the gpu 

What kind of system is this... I'm still extremely confused... REGARDLESS, if this drive only has 7 gb of capacity, just get a new drive. Find something on craigslist or buy a cheep ssd. Hell install lubuntu if you have to. XP is just...no

XP doesn't support multiprocessor setups at all. Get a decently sized drive and install a more modern OS.

You could run a light Linux distro on 7GB if you don't do much with local data...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

5 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

XP doesn't support multiprocessor setups at all. Get a decently sized drive and install a more modern OS.

I don't got any money to buy a new hard drive

Try the light linux distro route then. But you'll need something to install, i.e either a DVD drive and access to another computer to burn an install DVD, or a USB drive and a way to put the installer on it, if the hardware supports bootling off USB in the first place that is.

Or wait until you can find some scrap parts for what's missing. 

F@H

GPD Win 2