Gaming 'Server' PC

Hopefully this is the right forum:

I've got a pre-built gaming PC (i9 9900k, 2080 Super, 32gb RAM, GB ethernet) that I'd like to use as an in-house gaming server. 

Basically, is there any way I can use that one computer to run/host games for a couple rooms in the house? Say my son, who doesn't have a dedicated PC but has just a monitor, wants to play Fortnite in his room while I want to play Madden 20 in the living room TV. Can we do that with that one PC? If so, what would we need, i.e. android box, Nvidia Shield, etc ...

Thanks! 

7 minutes ago, bcontoursvt said:

I've got a pre-built gaming PC (i9 9900k, 2080 Super, 32gb RAM, GB ethernet) that I'd like to use as an in-house gaming server. 

Basically, is there any way I can use that one computer to run/host games for a couple rooms in the house? Say my son, who doesn't have a dedicated PC but has just a monitor, wants to play Fortnite in his room while I want to play Madden 20 in the living room TV. Can we do that with that one PC? If so, what would we need, i.e. android box, Nvidia Shield, etc ...

Thanks! 

Steam allows streaming to other computers over the LAN. You won't be able to use that desktop at the same time, though.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

Just now, svmlegacy said:

Steam allows streaming to other computers over the LAN. You won't be able to use that desktop at the same time, though.

Thats fine as it will be in a closet doing nothing but serving up games. 

1) can multiple users stream simultaneously? 

2) what do the users need to stream besides a dedicated PC?

3 minutes ago, bcontoursvt said:

Thats fine as it will be in a closet doing nothing but serving up games. 

1) can multiple users stream simultaneously? 

2) what do the users need to stream besides a dedicated PC?

1. Not reliably. At very least you need to have a monitor for each stream, of at least the correct resolution. Performance problems will also occur with multiple streams.
  2. A dedicated PC that can run steam, and has a strong network connection. Wired is preferred.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

21 minutes ago, bcontoursvt said:

Thanks! 

You would have to do something like this:

18 minutes ago, bcontoursvt said:

Thanks! 

3 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:
  1. Not reliably. At very least you need to have a monitor for each stream, of at least the correct resolution. Performance problems will also occur with multiple streams.
  2. A dedicated PC that can run steam, and has a strong network connection. Wired is preferred.

1) "Say my son, who doesn't have a dedicated PC but has just a monitor, wants to play Fortnite in his room while I want to play Madden 20 in the living room TV."

2) "Thats fine as it will be in a closet doing nothing but serving up games."

"(i9 9900k, 2080 Super, 32gb RAM, GB ETGERNET".

What would, at minimum, the end users need to make streaming possible?

20 minutes ago, danomicar said:

You would have to do something like this:

Dang. Thats super complicated. Was hoping for something easier. Oh well ...

32 minutes ago, bcontoursvt said:

1) "Say my son, who doesn't have a dedicated PC but has just a monitor, wants to play Fortnite in his room while I want to play Madden 20 in the living room TV."

2) "Thats fine as it will be in a closet doing nothing but serving up games."

"(i9 9900k, 2080 Super, 32gb RAM, GB ETGERNET".

What would, at minimum, the end users need to make streaming possible?

1. you would need something that can decode the stream. a old pc can do this easily, or some tvs have it built in.

2. Basically a device that supports your streaming solution, and has hardware decoding.