First build help

Mattiie

Budget (including currency): £1500

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming

Other details: 

I've just gotten my 3070 msi trio, and trying to figure out the rest of my build. 

I'm thinking something like this:

Cooler Master H500 ARGB case, 

Corsair RM750i PSU, 

32gb Corsair Vengeance Pro Pc4-28800,

Samsung 980 Pro 500gb m.2,

2tb seagate barracuda 3.5",

Kraken Z63 AIO, 

Then X570 board and zen3 5600/5800 cpu. 

Any thoughts on how this could be improved? 

Also, I don't have my 8pin adapter in the box with my 3070, do I need to buy one or will I get one with my psu/mobo? 

Thanks! 😊 

4 minutes ago, Mattiie said:

Also, I don't have my 8pin adapter in the box with my 3070, do I need to buy one or will I get one with my psu/mobo? 

only the founders edition will require an adapter to the 12 pin.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Yep, the RM series come with an 8pin - my brother has an RM PSU and uses the 8 pin with his RX 580.

16 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

only the founders edition will require an adapter to the 12 pin.

Ahh oki thanku! How's my build sound? 😊 

Seems like a pretty solid build.

Some stuff to think about:

You may want to switch to a Corsair AIO. I don't think you want both Corsair's and NZXT's RGB software running at the same time.

The power supply doesn't need to be the 750i, you could go with the 750x unless you need Corsair Link.

And the case only has support for a 280mm AIO in the front, where your fancy ARGB fans are. You can't install that AIO up top, so you're losing one of the major points of buying that case. Again, with an eye for compatibility, you might want to consider a Corsair RGB case instead, like the 4000x. It has a lighting node included for managing fan RGB, and includes three RGB 120mm fans. With a 280mm AIO from Corsair (the H115i Platinum RGB, which is also a 280mm AIO), you have all of the fans you can put into the case, they're all RGB, and how many programs you have running to control RGB components is limited.

You'll probably still need other RGB software to do the RGB on the motherboard and graphics card, but both NZXT CAM and Corsair iCue are pretty resource-intensive to run. Best to choose one imo.

In that vein, you could also keep the Z63, and get an NZXT case with integrated RGB and fans. Just make sure you have somewhere to put the AIO where it doesn't take away a feature you're paying for.

Intel i7 8700k | Asus ROG Strix Z370-I | NVidia RTX 2070 Super Reference | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600MHz x 32GB | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD | Custom Loop | Corsair RMx 850w Gold | Phanteks Evolv iTX TG (modded) | Acer Predator XB1

3 minutes ago, Mattiie said:

Ahh oki thanku! How's my build sound? 😊 

pretty premium, if you were to go with a more value oriented setup you could reduce the cost and get the same experience

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, NickPickerWI said:

You may want to...

Oh, I almost forgot to mention.

ASUS motherboards can talk to Corsair iCue, so in theory, you can have iCue also controlling the RGB on your motherboard and your RAM. It might even do the RGB on your graphics card, not sure. But, EVGA Precision X1 or MSI Afterburner should be able to do graphics card RGB as well, and I recommend getting one of these programs to set a custom fan profile as well, and have on-screen diagnostics of how your system is running in-game...and do overclocking if you want to.

I do this now, and it's awesome.

Moreso...my advice is to look into and plan how your RGB is going to work, and pick components based on meeting that end. The parts themselves are great, but a lot of people end up with an undue hassle getting their RGB to work properly because they mishmash parts. Make it as simple as possible, with as few programs running as you can. Make sure your case can mount your AIO where you want it to be, too.

Little things like that. Vendors make it easy for the most part to find information about their parts that can help fine tune your build list.

Intel i7 8700k | Asus ROG Strix Z370-I | NVidia RTX 2070 Super Reference | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600MHz x 32GB | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD | Custom Loop | Corsair RMx 850w Gold | Phanteks Evolv iTX TG (modded) | Acer Predator XB1

52 minutes ago, NickPickerWI said:

You may want to switch to a Corsair AIO. I don't think you want both Corsair's and NZXT's RGB software running at the same time.

The power supply doesn't need to be the 750i, you could go with the 750x unless you need Corsair Link.

And the case only has support for a 280mm AIO in the front, where your fancy ARGB fans are. You can't install that AIO up top, so you're losing one of the major points of buying that case. Again, with an eye for compatibility, you might want to consider a Corsair RGB case instead, like the 4000x. It has a lighting node included for managing fan RGB, and includes three RGB 120mm fans. With a 280mm AIO from Corsair (the H115i Platinum RGB, which is also a 280mm AIO), you have all of the fans you can put into the case, they're all RGB, and how many programs you have running to control RGB components is limited.

You'll probably still need other RGB software to do the RGB on the motherboard and graphics card, but both NZXT CAM and Corsair iCue are pretty resource-intensive to run. Best to choose one imo.

In that vein, you could also keep the Z63, and get an NZXT case with integrated RGB and fans. Just make sure you have somewhere to put the AIO where it doesn't take away a feature you're paying for.

Oh damn yeah 🤦‍♂️ it's only got support for a 240mm fan in the top I'm dumb 😂 750x and 750i are the same right? I only wrote the 750i as that was the one which was in stock on scan for me. 

I really like the Z series kraken aios but that's just for the gimmick of having the lcd display showing thermals/gifs etc. Is the h115i or h150i the better corsair aio? 

Is there a good nzxt case that's similar to what you mentioned? Or would you suggest going for the 4000x? 

Would I be best getting an MSi mobo as I have an MSi GPu to cut down on required  software? 

Thanks for your help by the way! 😊 

46 minutes ago, NickPickerWI said:

Oh, I almost forgot to mention.

ASUS motherboards can talk to Corsair iCue, so in theory, you can have iCue also controlling the RGB on your motherboard and your RAM. It might even do the RGB on your graphics card, not sure. But, EVGA Precision X1 or MSI Afterburner should be able to do graphics card RGB as well, and I recommend getting one of these programs to set a custom fan profile as well, and have on-screen diagnostics of how your system is running in-game...and do overclocking if you want to.

I do this now, and it's awesome.

Moreso...my advice is to look into and plan how your RGB is going to work, and pick components based on meeting that end. The parts themselves are great, but a lot of people end up with an undue hassle getting their RGB to work properly because they mishmash parts. Make it as simple as possible, with as few programs running as you can. Make sure your case can mount your AIO where you want it to be, too.

Little things like that. Vendors make it easy for the most part to find information about their parts that can help fine tune your build list.

What Asus mobos would you suggest? I've not really looked much into Asus products. I assume the custom fan profile is for the GPu and temperatures etc? Sorry for the questions I've only ever had laptops before 😂 

Hmm so in that vein, would you suggest getting icue compatible products if I'm having the vengeance ram? I was thinking about getting ll120 fans if the case won't have rgb fans pre installed 🤔 

1 hour ago, Mattiie said:

What Asus mobos would you suggest? I've not really looked much into Asus products. I assume the custom fan profile is for the GPu and temperatures etc? Sorry for the questions I've only ever had laptops before 😂 

Hmm so in that vein, would you suggest getting icue compatible products if I'm having the vengeance ram? I was thinking about getting ll120 fans if the case won't have rgb fans pre installed 🤔 

To answer your questions in order:

The 750i and 750x are the same, but the 750i has Corsair Link and a better fan (fluid dynamic bearing) compared to the 750x (rifle bearing). The -i version is a nice upgrade, and will have generally a quieter fan noise over time and a longer fan life. Corsair Link lets you have more control and visibility to more information.

The H150i is technically the better cooler, as it has more rediator volume, but real-world, you probably won't notice a difference. The fans on the 115i will be quieter, as 140mm fans spin slower and move more air for the same acoustics, generally speaking.

From NZXT, the H510i, H700i, H710i, and H510 Elite are all nice cases, but NZXT cases are notoriously bad for airflow. They completely close off and choke intake air, because they want a flat front design. This makes the parts hotter, makes the fans spin up more and get noisier, etc. All bad things to me. Corsair seems to have more competent case design, even though NZXT cases are much nicer-looking to me.

You could go for an MSI motherboard, but MSI doesn't make the best quality motherboards in my experience. That said, you make a good point, that you might need Mystic Light to control the RGB of the video card. MSI might not let third-party software control their card lighting - companies want you to stick with and buy their parts/ecosystem.

As far as Asus motherboards go, they are good across the board, as are their graphics cards in my experience. You also pay a premium for nice Asus parts, like you typically do with Corsair.

Yes, the fan profiles are for setting temperature/fan speed curves. But there are other ways to set this.

That said, the RAM should be RGB controllable by any motherboard. Some motherboards will have better settings/RGB control/patterns than others.

The reason I suggested Corsair stuff and an Asus motherboard is because Asus motherboards can be taken over by Corsair iCue, and you can coordinate effects between more parts. It seemed like RGB was a focus of your build, and Corsair is one of few companies that has a comorehensive ecosystem of RGB parts, and great effects and products. But, it's not necessary, and like I said before, you pay a premium for that.

The LL120 fans are pretty nice, I have them in my system. A little louder than I'd like, but not too obtrusive at full speed. NZXT's Aer fans are also great, I've used them in builds before. But NZXT CAM can be harder to learn than iCue, personally speaking.

If you have more questions, feel free to reply or DM me.

Good luck with the build, and congrats on snagging a 3070.