PWM Splitter

Silverrune

I am looking for a PWM splitter to use for 6 Corsair SP120 High Performance fans. I want to be able to control the fans though. Do I need to buy a complete fan controller for this? Or would something like the 4-Pin Molex / SATA Power Distribution PCB 8x PWM + 2x 4-pin Block work? It's quite attractive because of it's small form factor and pricing.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/21000/ele-1197/4-Pin_Molex_SATA_Power_Distribution_PCB_8x_PWM_2x_4-pin_Block_MMT-PCB-4-8P2M1S.html

If anyone is wondering, I am building a "Show" PC with a black and red colour scheme for my 18th birthday.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/38pyY

Just remember, if you get a splitter (like shown above) be careful that you don't draw TOO much power, and blow the header.

Here's the fan splitter I'll be using in my build soon, 6 fans, one header :)

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/23518/ele-1300/4-Pin_PWM_Power_Distribution_PCB_6x_Way_Block_MMT-PCB-4P-44P.html?tl=g47c121s424#blank

@Silverrune

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

I have experienced problems running more then 4 Corsair PWM fans from a single MB header. The control disappears once you plug in the 5th fan. Strangely the signal isn't strong enough. I was using Swiftech PWM splitter.

Show love because it's a terrible thing to hate

well i have the same problem. but the thing is how i can control a SP120 which is a 3pin if i connect it to a pwm y splitter which has 4pins?

Equality doesn't mean Justice.

well i have the same problem. but the thing is how i can control a SP120 which is a 3pin if i connect it to a pwm y splitter which has 4pins?

3pin fan can only be controlled by changing voltage that drives the motor. Motherboards often have voltage control as well. Just have to make sure PWM control is disabled - then MB should fall back to voltage control.

3pin fan can only be controlled by changing voltage that drives the motor. Motherboards often have voltage control as well. Just have to make sure PWM control is disabled - then MB should fall back to voltage control.

does my mobo can control them? Msi z87 G41 PC mate?

Equality doesn't mean Justice.

does my mobo can control them? Msi z87 G41 PC mate?

Do a simple test.

1) Plug your fan directly in the MB header. 

2) Take any program that can report and control MB headers like Speedfan http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php or MSI Command Center http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z87G41_PC_Mate.html#/?div=Utility&os=Win8.1 64

3) Using those programs you can monitor and change fan speed

I would reccomemd swift tech pwm 8 way splitter. I have one laying around to in my boxes i plan to do the same.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/331098576991?nav=SEARCH you might be able to find one cheaper. But these are hard to find.

Amd fx-8320 oc 4.1ghz, 8gb ram, gtx 780ti 3gb, 240gb ssd, 1.5tb hdd,

The Swiftech PWM splitter box is one of the most useful little devices I've ever encountered.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

The Swiftech PWM splitter box is one of the most useful little devices I've ever encountered.

Agreed I have two in my current build. Its also so much cleaner than those splitter cables which half the time are wired wrong any way.

Agreed I have two in my current build. Its also so much cleaner than those splitter cables which half the time are wired wrong any way.

I think the Swiftech one is the best option. It uses the PWM signal from the motherboard, but is not powered from the motherboard. This also ensures that the fans always get a proper 12v signal, rather than rely on a motherboards header, which sometimes isn't even a proper PWM signal.

How cool would it be to have all chassis fans controlled by the CPU load/temp? :)

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

I think the Swiftech one is the best option. It uses the PWM signal from the motherboard, but is not powered from the motherboard. This also ensures that the fans always get a proper 12v signal, rather than rely on a motherboards header, which sometimes isn't even a proper PWM signal.

How cool would it be to have all chassis fans controlled by the CPU load/temp? :)

Motherboards have proper PWM what happens is that they may not default to PWM. This is the case with many older motherboads, especially those with a mix of 3 pin and 4pihn headers. But yes, any time I do PWM I prefer to pull power direct from the PSU then I dont have to worry how much power that the motherboard can output and that way the motherboard cant not use PWW as you said.

I have set up multiple PCs this way the latest was my friends desktop and will be my desktop once I complete it.

Be careful with Swiftech PWM splitter and Corsair SP PWM fans control is lost with more then 4 fans connected. 

I have experienced this on x58 board. :(

Reference link:

http://forums.swiftech.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2428

Might be because only one or two ports in that era were PWM and it only expected to run one or two fan so maybe the signal wasnt that strong? Maybe they should have s signal booster thing in one that does even more fans if possible.

Either way I havent had issues with controlling 4, 6, and 8 fans with the swiftech splitters though that in on current gen one gen old motherboards.