Get the 480GB or 512GB SSD

TukangUsapEmenq

Well, Pioneer APS-SL3 with 512GB ran out of stock just few days ago and I have no idea when it would be restocked (or not as it's a darn popular af SSD on the store). Should I go for the 480GB instead of waiting? Yet I thought, with the bare difference of just few bucks for additional 32GB (welp I can fit one additional game on it with such space), like, should I really wait for it? It's not so urgently needed somehow.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

what is the 480gb ssd's model?

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

Just now, mahyar said:

what is the 480gb ssd's model?

The exact same as the 512 either.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

The "512" GB probably won't have all 512gb as usable space, I reckon

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, dhannemon13 said:

The exact same as the 512 either.

frist off 512gb is more like 498 gb and 480 also have some "loss" so diffrance in capacity is less that 28gb

and now judge yourself 

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

I know the usable space would be less than that (like around 470-480-ish maybe? Can't remember), but still 30-ish GB difference somehow.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

that goes without saying...and its the same for the 480gb variant as well and for any other storage devices for that matter. I have never seen a storage device in which u get the full advertised storage capacity ever, cuz it reserves bit of space for system files/cache or whatever..

1 minute ago, Shiva666 said:

that goes without saying...and its the same for the 480gb variant as well and for any other storage devices for that matter. I have never seen a storage device in which u get the full advertised storage capacity ever, cuz it reserves bit of space for system files/cache or whatever..

Mostly it's spared for over-provisioning, afaik.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

2 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

I know the usable space would be less than that (like around 470-480-ish maybe? Can't remember), but still 30-ish GB difference somehow.

2 minutes ago, Shiva666 said:

What I'm on about is that they're probably the same drive and one is advertising usable space, and the other is raw nand flash space

Unless the model's spec sheet says otherwise

ahh no there is no more physical space and its not like system files or cache or whatever takes so much space

23 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

should I really wait for it? It's not so urgently needed somehow.

u can get the lower variant that is available now and expand ur storage with a traditional hard drive of like 1tb or something capacity at a later time if that is an option.

Because i personally like to do something like that cuz SSDs life is less compared to a HDD if u Write on them often. Just reading from SSD is fine (which is why i only store operating system, some heavy software and games that require too much time to load) on an SSD, but i use a traditional HDD for everything else. (videos, photos, large files that move around a lot, etc.)

Edited by Shiva666

What I'm on about is that they're probably the same drive and one is advertising usable space, and the other is raw nand flash space

Unless the model's spec sheet says otherwise

Nope, both got different usable space with 28-32GB of difference. Checked it already.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

oh right, yes that makes sense. and that's true...i agree with you :)

Just now, dhannemon13 said:

Nope, both got different usable space with 28-32GB of difference. Checked it already.

Then get the better GB per dollar, assuming the rest drive is the same

Unless you really really want that extra little storage

5 minutes ago, mahyar said:

ahh no there is no more physical space and its not like system files or cache or whatever takes so much space

right... 👌

u can get the lower variant that is available now and expand ur storage with a traditional hard drive of like 1tb or something capacity at a later if that is an option.

Because i personally like to do something like that cuz SSDs life is less compared to a HDD if u Write on them often. Just reading from SSD is fine which is why i only store operating system, some heavy software and games that require too much time to load on an SSD, but i use a traditional HDD for everything else.

Well, I'm personally trying to stop using HDDs for any mobile usage (like laptop that I plan to install) as... I killed two HDDs already before. Well, technically three but I stopped using it and store it on the safe place, waiting it's replacement.

Basically, I'd want the SSD reliability over HDD on mobile device, that's all. And don't worry, I don't do write data that much as it would mostly used for some media storage for on the go purpose (all music collection and few movies, got an external 1 TB already for storing all of it somehow) and just game on it. I just... Hate how fast a HDD died on my laptops.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

2 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

Well, I'm personally trying to stop using HDDs for any mobile usage (like laptop that I plan to install) as... I killed two HDDs already before. Well, technically three but I stopped using it and store it on the safe place, waiting it's replacement.

Basically, I'd want the SSD reliability over HDD on mobile device, that's all. And don't worry, I don't do write data that much as it would mostly used for some media storage for on the go purpose (all music collection and few movies, got an external 1 TB already for storing all of it somehow) and just game on it. I just... Hate how fast a HDD died on my laptops.

ah right, yes, then if its like that then a SSD is best for u. especially since u got an external storage device..and in this case, since its not an urgent requirement for u, i'd suggest wait it out for as long as possible to get the SSD with the higher storage space. If it was me, i'd wait, esp.if its not urgent, cuz i like to have as much space i can have provided it comes within my budget :D