audio freezing for a second

thrasher_565

so when ever i load something big or open something big my audio cuts out for a second. i never noticed this before but its been around some time. what is it and why? not too big of a deal just wondering. i am using a ssd for a boot drive. it is a bit old now thow. i do have a 3tb hdd hooked up thow maybe at times its loading that and its lagging the audio?

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

so when ever i load something big or open something big my audio cuts out for a second. i never noticed this before but its been around some time. what is it and why? not too big of a deal just wondering. i am using a ssd for a boot drive. it is a bit old now thow. i do have a 3tb hdd hooked up thow maybe at times its loading that and its lagging the audio?

You have a great guess there.

I have a WD Green drive that sleeps. 

Will be browsing doing w/e and the PC seems to lock up.

Mouse moves and that's it. Maybe up to 3 seconds I've noticed.

Never seems to be an issue when gaming, the drive seems to be awake then.

My resolve was to go into windows power settings and force the drive to stay awake all the time.

5 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

You have a great guess there.

I have a WD Green drive that sleeps. 

Will be browsing doing w/e and the PC seems to lock up.

Mouse moves and that's it. Maybe up to 3 seconds I've noticed.

Never seems to be an issue when gaming, the drive seems to be awake then.

My resolve was to go into windows power settings and force the drive to stay awake all the time.

hmm how do you do that in windows 7?

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

Power and Sleep settings.

Click additional power settings located just below Related settings.

Select your power plan and click Change plan settings.

_

Next click Change advanced power settings.

Click + Hard Disk

Click + Turn Off hard disk after

0 seconds. 

That will keep the drive awake.

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Power and Sleep settings.

Click additional power settings located just below Related settings.

Select your power plan and click Change plan settings.

Next click Change advanced power settings.

Hard Disk

Turn Off hard disk after 0 seconds. 

That will keep the drive awake.

ok thx is it good to have it awake all the time? dose this apply to the hhd or ssd or both?

Just now, thrasher_565 said:

ok thx is it good to have it awake all the time? dose this apply to the hhd or ssd or both?

OS drive doesn't sleep unless you sleep the entire PC.

It will keep the storage drive awake.

The drive will consume more power over time and being constantly active will decrease the drives life expectancy. 

I never keep a drive more than 10 years even if it's still good. That's my rule of thumb with HDDs.

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

OS drive doesn't sleep unless you sleep the entire PC.

It will keep the storage drive awake.

The drive will consume more power over time and being constantly active will decrease the drives life expectancy. 

I never keep a drive more than 10 years even if it's still good. That's my rule of thumb with HDDs.

ok thx ya when i ever do get my build up and ruining i wanted to have some program clone my storage drive to another so there be 2 all the time. i did buy 2 new but other say just use your old one and a new one and the old one should die and you have the new one still. maybe i should get on that now haha i have lost my storage drive once....dark times...

3 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

ok thx ya when i ever do get my build up and ruining i wanted to have some program clone my storage drive to another so there be 2 all the time. i did buy 2 new but other say just use your old one and a new one and the old one should die and you have the new one still. maybe i should get on that now haha i have lost my storage drive once....dark times...

Had a couple of 10K raptors in Raid 0 once. One bit the dust. I saved the OS by installing on a new drive and going to W7 backup and used my old Raid image on a singe drive. Using raid does help with redundancy! 

17 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Had a couple of 10K raptors in Raid 0 once. One bit the dust. I saved the OS by installing on a new drive and going to W7 backup and used my old Raid image on a singe drive. Using raid does help with redundancy! 

ya my dad put my pc in to a rade 1 i think 150gb raptors and oc my pc and that oc failed and i was not able to get back in to the desktop so i don't like any raid. just good old copy and past. same with nas ya if one hhd gos down you can rebuild it but what if the nas gos down? then what. from what i heard its a pain from there ether you need the same nas or do some weard stuff. i think gn had this problem once.

my dad was looking in to it too. he got a heap 4 bay one and it was slow and nosey so he upgrade and got a better faster one but he was going to build one from a pc with the add in cared. he was buying the roswill hhd to 5.25 with a 120mm fan on it and used one of my old case but he hasn't filled his storage yet so there was no rush to finisher it. and he was still researching what mb to buy. said something super micro maybe.

also was saying that they can take and use like 4 core and ram in the nas as well. said some of the were failing.

Edited by thrasher_565