sdpy15

Specs (All new parts)

Ryzen 5 3600x with wraith spire fan

MSI RTX 2070 super gaming

MSI b550m pro vdh wifi

EVGA 700w 80+ gold

Vengeance 2x 8gb 3200 mhz

Silicon Power A58, and WD 1Tb hdd

No overclocking has been done, no changes inside the bios other than the recommended update which I had no issues with. 

Here's the low down: 

I built this pc about a month ago in a Cooler master case with very sufficient air flow (overheating is definitely not the problem here). Two days ago I put my computer into the sleep state with a game running in the background. I came back about 30 min later and tried to wake the pc but it was unresponsive. I waited about 10 min to see if anything would happen, then decided to do a hard restart. The computer powered up but did not post. All the rgb on the fans were lit and the fans were running on all the internal parts including the gpu. I did notice that they were running a lot louder then they should during the boot, and they did not turn to a lower fan speed as they usually did on boot up. I left it like this for several minutes to see if it was just taking its own sweet time, but no luck. 

After reading around a bit I decided to clear the CMOS. With the computer unplugged and the battery out I pressed the power button several times, left it for about five minutes, then plugged everything back in. Low and behold it booted into the bios and was running like new. I restarted it several times to make sure it wasn't some fluke and there was no problem with it, it started just fine. 

That brings us to today. This morning I hopped on to get in a little time on a different game, played for an hour, then powered it off as usual and got to my work. An hour later I turned it on and it did the same thing. 

The motherboard has 4 lights to indicate potential references in case of an error, and I noticed that the CPU light was a steady solid white. No tones from the speakers, the fans were ramped up like before. No post. 

I took out the graphics card to access the cmos battery, ran through the same procedure, but it still wouldn't boot. I checked through all the wiring to see if something was loose, or if a screw was shorting something on the mobo, but nope. 

I ended up calling MSI to see what they would recommend, they asked me to plug in a different PSU, i did but no bueno. I tried putting in different ram, still nothing. Unseated the CPU and checked for bent pins, but they were all good. Socket looked clean also. Reseated the cpu, put on new thermal paste, refastened the cooler and tried to boot again. Nothing. Swapped out the 2070 for an older 1050 2gb to see if it was an issue with that, nada. 

Just to ensure everything was on the up and up I plugged my gpu, psu, and ram into an older mobo and they all worked fine, I achieved a post. Plugged them back into my current mobo with the 3600x, still nothing. 

Finally I took the cmos battery and both ram sticks out again and just left the system for a couple hours as one post had recommended. I inserted one ram into the second dim slot and fired it up. Finally I achieved a post and was able to get into windows through the safe mode. After checking thermals I restarted and it booted properly in just a couple seconds. 

It seems to me like there could be a faulty capacitor on the mobo, or something fishy going on with the CPU? To be honest im completely clueless. This is the second computer i've built, first AMD system, and with my long history with computers this is the first time something like this has happened to me. Does anyone know what might be going on? I am considering getting the mobo and/or cpu replaced under warranty, but wanted to check in with the experts here first. 

Cheers!

Tried with a new CMOS battery? Totally worth the try, CR2032

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

What a wall of text, can you do a TLDR?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

16 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Tried with a new CMOS battery? Totally worth the try, CR2032

Already tried swapping it with one from a different board. 

10 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

What a wall of text

Sorry, tried to be thorough.

Computer is not posting, occasionally a cmos refresh will make it post and boot to windows. Graphics card, ram, and psu swap did not change the outcome. 

Cpu light on mobo lit. 

Fans revving on all components, rgb working. Peripheral rgb not on. 

27 minutes ago, sdpy15 said:

Already tried swapping it with one from a different board. 

25 minutes ago, sdpy15 said:

Sorry, tried to be thorough.

Computer is not posting, occasionally a cmos refresh will make it post and boot to windows. Graphics card, ram, and psu swap did not change the outcome. 

Cpu light on mobo lit. 

Fans revving on all components, rgb working. Peripheral rgb not on. 

This is really weird.

A CPU would either work, or not work...hence I'm finger pointing at the motherboard.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Just now, -rascal- said:

This is really weird.

A CPU would either work, or not work...hence I'm finger pointing at the motherboard.

Thats my thinking too. Seems odd that it would just suddenly stop working though. 

Motherboard failures are very common and this is exactly what it sounds like. You've swapped the other parts so its the only thing left. A CPU failing is so rare that its not even something to consider. And if there WAS something wrong with the CPU you probably would not get very far past POST.