Best pc security?

MxRider9637

Well going to be building my first gaming pc and i would like to know what are some of the best programs to have on your computer for security and protection... viruses and other stuff.. What do you guys suggest i get for my new pc?? antivirus? what are some other good things to have???

Your strongest defense is using your brain. And I guess a secondary defense you could use would be like Avast or AVG (both free and basic).

CPU Intel Core i7-4790K Motherboard ASUS Saberthooth Z97 Mark1 RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB @ 2133MHZ GPU 2 X MSI GeForce GTX GTX 980TI GAMING 6G SLI Case Phantex Enthoo Evolv ATX Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB / Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB PSU Corsair RM1000i Display Asus 4K PB287Q Cooling Noctua NF-A14 FLX & NF-F12 PWM /Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm Keyboard Corsair K70 Mouse ROCCAT Kone XTD Sound Card Asus Xonar STX

Your strongest defense is using your brain. And I guess a secondary defense you could use would be like Avast or AVG (both free and basic).

Common sense.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

I use Avast + MalwareBytes + Spybot, excellent protection and completely free. Spybot is probably unnessecary, but it's good for finding tracking cookies and other crapware. You should also use Ninite to install programs, you can check what you want and you don't want. Don't install pirated software, use ad blockers (disable on sites you support if you want), and use your head.

Spoiler

I really like that setup..

I use Avast + MalwareBytes + Spybot, excellent protection and completely free. Spybot is probably unnessecary, but it's good for finding tracking cookies and other crapware. You should also use Ninite to install programs, you can check what you want and you don't want. Don't install pirated software, use ad blockers (disable on sites you support if you want), and use your head.

I use Bit defender, Malwarebytes and super anti-spyware. Never looked back.

I use Viper, works well 

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

I use Bullgaurd and i like it a lot it mainly does stuff in the background and only tells me when there is a file or program that is not trusted

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

Unplug it from the wall. Best way.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

I agree with what others have said. Caution is your best defense. I don't run protection simply because I don't expose myself to viruses... I do run a scan from either Malwarebytes, Avast, or Microsoft Security Essentials from time to time (and then uninstall) just to make sure, but since I always verify things before downloading (or simply use trustworthy sites) I've never had any one of them show an infection. 

Following this method, I haven't had a virus since I ran Windows XP... a long time ago.

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

What i used to use.. i also used to use kaspersky 

I use Viper, works well 

Bitdefender is rated to be the most secure. Though I use Avast, which has worked on all pc I have installed it, without any problems.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

-First post here

Anyways, I would recommend using two accounts. A main administration account and another account for daily use. The main account will be used only to install programs, NOT email/games/etc. Then the other account is used for that. Different passwords on both.

If anyone says McAfee you need to re-evaluate your life...

my buddy's mom got the mccafee family deal all 5 of their pc's have it lol and that costs $ I switch him to avg and one other pc and it found stuff mccafee didnt let alone avg isnt near as bloated :)

Project black out: cpu: athlon x4 750k @4.7ghz, Mobo: asrock fm2+ a55 vg3+, ram: 1x 8gb hyperx 1866mhz, video card: 1x saphire radeon r9 270x, Storage: 1tb hdd ssd in the future,  cooling: 2 noctua 120mm fans 1 on rad one front intake.

I use Bit defender, Malwarebytes and super anti-spyware. Never looked back.

I second this. BitDefender works well

i5-4670k, Asus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance Pro Series Red 8GB (2x4GB) @1866 MHZ, EVGA GEFORCE 780 FTW w/ACX Cooler, Fractal Define R4 Windowed (Black-Pearl), Samsung Evo 250GB, WD 1tb Blue, EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650, Acer H236HL 23" x2, Corsair H100i, 2x Noctua NF-S12A, 2x Noctua NF-A14, Steelseries Apex, Logitech G602

Purchase a Malwarebytes Pro Lifetime license before it's too late. They are moving to a monthly contract cycle, this way you'll have it for good. Other than using that, stick to decent web browsers like Chrome or Firefox and avoid IE. Last thing to do is not run anything you download unless you are sure it is legitimate software. And stay off websites that you know are going to be malware ridden (pron). If you do all that, you'll likely never be infected.